Use for Fancy Harrdrive

Tavin

Hi there, I hope this is the right section to ask this question.

I'm on the edge of buying a fancy external SSD Drive.

I'm trying to achive a lower power consumption by buying a SSD. Has anyone expercience in this regard?

Will the Pandora be able to makeuse of the extra Speed at all?

The speed will be limited by the USB port which is USB 2.0.. I doubt there would be any real benefit over a regular drive.

Why would you buy an external SSD when you can have a truck load of storage on SD?
Max SD storage on the Pandora is currently 512GB using two 256GB SD cards at ~$145 each ~ $290

Samsung 500GB SSD ~ $240 + high quality external case ~ $20 yields $260 or so.

so - it's almost a wash, but I'd go with the internal SD side of it myself.  Look ma, half a terabyte and no cables!

The speed will be limited by the USB port which is USB 2.0.. I doubt there would be any real benefit over a regular drive.
OTG 3.0 with an adapter. But I guess there will be a chipset limitation before the theoretical max of USB 3.0, don't know how high it is though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, the OTG port is USB 2.0 high-speed too (although it also emulates USB 1.0 full-and-low speed, unlike the big USB port). It'll be limited to that speed, at theoretical max.

Um, the OTG port is USB 2.0 high-speed too (although it also emulates USB 1.0 full-and-low speed, unlike the big USB port). It'll be limited to that speed, at theoretical max.
I thought that the mini-USB OTG port on the Pandora was strictly USB 1.1?

On the Pandora, SD cards are likely your fastest storage - though it caps out around 17MB/s on a single slot and ~ 21MB/s combined.

The Pyra will be a different story though.  On it, the USB 3.0 port may be faster than the storage - hard to tell at this stage though.

Oops, thought I read "Pyra"...

Back