Usb (pre Powered) Hard Drive On Gp2x?

Muncher666

Searched a bit, and although I could have sworn hearing some talk about this, I was wondering if anyone has attempted to use the EXT connector or USB slave on the '2x to run a pre-powered (ie, with it's own power supply) hard drive through it? I'd try this myself right away, but I haven't recieved my unit yet.

Allan.

I dont think so but I cant see any reason why not but I a real spaz.
I bet the next few posts are going to be slaging you of for being optomistic though. People are so sad for doing that.

its definality possible, but someone have to get mass storage support in the kernel. shouldnt be to hard through.

be awesome if you use your 2X at home, nice 40GIG hard drive hooked up to the 2X with complete romsets for every good emulator, and TV-OUT, it will be the ultimate console.

Would've been nice if GPH put in a Compact Flash slot instead of SD, then we could have at least used microdrives.

-edit-

Also, people keep going on about USB storage but the mmsp2 has an IDE interface is there anyway we could get to that?

Hey if this is possible I can still find use for my Ipod Shuffle, which is otherwise going into retirement after I buy gs2x. :)

No of course i will not pension the Ipod. But it would make for greater storage, and then I could use the SD slot for Wlan or bluetooth.....wow now we are cooking.

from what ive read, yea, the support is ther in hardware but not in software. cant wait for someone to implement it

Docking station with extra ports for 2 controllers, stand, tvout, bluetooth, keyboard, and hard drive slot...awesomeness

though it'd probably run you up about £300

Considering CF is both faster, cheaper, more available, has more I/O options and larger storage (microdrives, ect) you gotta wonder why.

The only 3 reasons I have thought up are:

1. SPACE (CF is bigger than SD, true they are all very small, but this is a small device)
2. GP I/O CONNECTIONS (CF needs 50 pins, while SD needs 10)
3. 5v Compliance (Flash CF can work without 5v, but Microdrives NEED 5v, and I/O cards possibly)

USB Host support is still not 100% proven yet.
The connections are 'known' to exist on the EXT, but have not been tested or evaluated much yet.

The lack of a USB Kernel USB module may hamper issues as well.

I doubt the lack of provided USB modules will be an issue - the USB subsystem seems very module-friendly, perhaps due to being added after modules really took off, so anything that's not already built in can probably be bolted on. It was certainly not a problem to get the USB gadget serial module into the kernel - the issues with that were more due to the lack of a gadget serial driver for the old kernel GPH are using.

Back