USB Dongle?

Prophet

God I'm old.
Website
Visit site
I have a couple of USB dongles I use for faster internet access and I'd love to use them while running android.  Is this possible already and I'm just not seeing how?  Or so impossible it's a pipedream?  What's the word on USB network appliances :) ?

From my understanding it would be possible but changes would have to be made to the Pandora Android Rom to enable USB support.

10 points for felix20!  It works!  THANKS!

And for those of you who hit this thread and don't want to follow links around here is the contents of the link felix20 gave that did the trick (credit for these steps goes to meandu229, so thanks to you too meandu229!)

meandu229 said:
edit:how to : experimental not 100% sure if this is all thats needed yet. (I dont take blame for anything blah blah, but will try to help if needs be)

pretty simple trick I used to make my usb wifi work in android

• make sure you have the usb stick plugged in and enabled.
  • open terminal
  • if you type iwconfig and hit enter you will see your 2 network connections.
  • enter sudo mousepad /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules (you may want to back up this file just in case)
  • Hit Enter and enter password (I think pandoras come loaded with mousepad)
  • in this file you should have 2 lines which dont start with # these are the lines we are looking at.
  • scroll all the way to the right and you will see one has name="wlan0" and the other is names "wlan1" simply switch them over so the 1 is a 0 and 0 a 1. (you may want to back up this file just in case)
  • give a reboot
  • now if you do iwconfig you will see the numbers have switched, if you start up android now and connect to the wireless lan as normal open the terminal emulator and do iwconfig you will see its the new card connected at a higher rate (e.g my onboard said connected at 1mbps my usb says 150mbps)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back