Updated! Perfectfit, New Version!

Akuma no Houkon

Certified Guru
Website
akuma.gp32news.com
Alot of you may have downloaded my 2nd GP32 game, PerfectFit, and some of you may have actually liked it :)

When I released PerfectFit, I received some very positive feedback from this community. And while the game itself was great, we all know it could use a face lift. Working with manu_pkp, a great artist with a lot of patience (I am a picky person), I have replaced all of the graphics with nice new ones, added new menus, a title screen, etc...

Here is a nice screen shot of it in GeePee32 (there is much more than is shown by this screenshot)
PF_ScreenShot.PNG

There are a few new features added too (you can see one of them in this screenshot ::) ), read the read me for more on this.

TEMPORARY DOWNLOAD LINK (please mirror)
http://rpgds.shiftedphase.com/gp32/PerfectFit.zip

There is a additional level pack included (with only one level right now) that shows off some nice new features, (extra.lpk) tell me what you think! (a version with sound effects and BGM is in the works!) I will release a new updated level creator when I release the version with sound.

Hope you like it.

OMG, thats amazing, this game was already amazing but now it looks good enough to eat!
I just love seeing great games turn into polished looking titles.

It's looking good! Does this include the FIXED standard level pack, though? I could swear that level 7 is impossible. Also, I suggest an option in the pause menu while in-game to get back to the main title screen. I was also thinking that, with this new graphical update, perhaps you could add background images. Nothing too bright and distracting, but pleasing, dark images. I think with all this polish, leaving the background black is just a tad dull. :D

Does this include the FIXED standard level pack, though? I could swear that level 7 is impossible.

Level 7 is all too possible, it has never been broken. Its actually a fairly simple level once you get the idea how it works. (should take you about 13 turns)

This DOES include the fixed standard pack (level 40 didnt work properly in the old old one)

Also, I suggest an option in the pause menu while in-game to get back to the main title screen.

Press B, in any version B will cancel the menu. (edit: oh you mean back to the main menu...why? the ingame menu has the same functions except the "start at last completed" option, and you can simply use L and R to navigate through completed levels if you need to)

I was also thinking that, with this new graphical update, perhaps you could add background images. Nothing too bright and distracting, but pleasing, dark images. I think with all this polish, leaving the background black is just a tad dull.

Look at the screenshot a little closer.

oo ooo can't wait to try this out when I get home, pucker, smart, sorted etc!

hey looks who's got themself a new certified guru status...

Looks fantastic, and btw, if you're having problems on level 7 then... o dear :(

heheheee I'm soo chuffed to see this :D

Yeah, I don't know why I asked about the title screen option. Stupid suggestion.

What I meant about the background image is some sort of BG behind the actual puzzle area.

OH! It was my monitor. I keep the brightness down otherwise it hurts my eyes. That's -really- dark, though. I'm playing on my GP right now and I can't see it. I don't have an FLU, but you shouldn't leave out us non-FLU users. :eek:

Also, I'm not gonna look at the answer. I'll try and figure it out myself. :D

I removed the answer, since you want to do it yourself. Rest assured that it CAN be done, and within 13 turns no less. :)

I use a 256 color palette, I dont have much option when it comes to the background, since most of the game is in bright colors, that doesnt leave me much room for a semi dark background, so I have to use the colors I have, with what little I have left over. With the FLU the background is just visible enough to add some depth to the scene but not bright enough to distract.

Akuma no Houkon:

This really is quite stunning. Remember this thread? About 3 weeks ago, you weren't sure about getting into GP32 programming, and now you're putting out really polished stuff!

Now, obviously you had good coding skills before you started (and that's something we're always telling new programmers: learn to program before you start programming for GP32) but it's still a very impressive leap to productivity :D

I wonder, as a new convert to GP32 coding, if you have any comments about things you've found that were good/easy/positive, and things that were bad/hard/negative? Maybe if people know where things aren't so good, they can be improved. It sounds obvious I guess, but the more people like you that can be encouraged to develop stuff for GP32, the better the scene will be.

Anyway, nice work, thanks for your efforts, and I hope we'll see more stuff from you in future! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I remember that thread...

I am still "getting the hang" of this system, testing the waters, finding my limits, etc... and plan to put out a couple more small games like PerfectFit before really getting to work on my larger projects

It would be hard to catagorize my experiance with developing for the GP32 into good and bad. Lack of english documentation and examples for some of the basics made it kind of difficult to start out (a lot of trial and error), but after that inital hurdle its fairly painless.

The best thing about developing for the GP32 though, without a doubt, is the community that surrounds it. The feedback makes it all worth it. This community appreciates the effort that the developers put into the games and apps they make and give positive feedback which in turn gives the developer more motivation to keep developing for the platform.

Yeah, it's really an awesome game, Akuma. Didn't mean to piss you off with my nitpicking. I can't wait for the version with sound and music. :D :D

Akuma no Houkon posted on Mar 29 2004 at 09:17 AM said:
I am still "getting the hang" of this system, testing the waters, finding my limits, etc... and plan to put out a couple more small games like PerfectFit before really getting to work on my larger projects
Not trying to push here or anything, but do you already have some ideas what type of larger projects you want to make(emu's, ports, new games, apps, firmware)? You're obviously a good coder so I guess we can expect nice projects, you're member-statts-interest says you're into RPG development, so maybe :D

Last edited by a moderator:
man, this is a great game!!

one remark though: the background IS invisible on non-FLU :p but I don't really care :) this game is one of the best non-emulatorgames I've played so far :)

Back