(Update) [DooM] 2020 Cacowards Ceremony

While we're on the slighlty off-topic news, Brutal Doom v20 is out, with a stand-alone campaign (that can be played without any of the original wads) and performance improvements. I've only played the beginning of the campaign, but it looks playable so far on the Pandora (I've tried with PtitSeb's ZDoom with Zandronum engine. With ZDoom and GZDoom engines it has a strange bug where the view turns to the floor sometimes when shooting).

Maybe I can package the Standalone BrutalDoom WAD (like with the few other Doom package I've done), for easy play. Don't know if there is a demand for that (the advantage of the package are just a shortcut in the menu, basically).

Hi all :)

DooM turned 23 on Saturday 10th December !

To celebrate the event, the Doomworld community has hosted the 13th Cacowards ceremony !

title.jpg

Let's give this year entries a go on our favourite source ports :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Woah, just after Half Life hit 20 years old too. These anniversaries are really coming around fast now.
Forget it's only a 5 year gap between Doom and Half-Life... It was pretty amazing how quickly things moved with 3D in a short period. I think from 1996 to 2001 I went through several PCs and around 14 video cards to keep up with the latest and greatest...

Last edited:
Seems the original Unreal was 20 years ago in May of this year, and UT is end of November next year hitting 20 years old. I didn't realise Half Life was coming so soon when I first played Unreal, although perhaps they were still keeping it under wraps at that time, according to the Noclip Half Life documentary I watched recently.

Looking at the cacowards made me want to try some new wads. I've played some Diabolus Ex this morning on my Pandora and had a good time. The Doom gameplay is still top-notch and I look forward to trying some exploration/atmospher heavy wads.

I'm using PtitSeb's ZDoom port. So far it was able to run everything I wanted to try so I didn't try any other.

Back