Unreal Tournament

Redrazor91

Still Fresh
I think unreal tournament would be awsome for the GP2x :D
i mean you can get the source code http://unrealtournament2004.filefront.com/...urce_Code;50393
and system requirements for the computer dont seem too demanding, would'nt know exactly but it seems the GP2X could possibly handle it.
so could you look into please :D

CPU: Intel Pentium™ 200MHz or AMD K6 200MHz or better processor
Memory: 32MB RAM (64MB recommended)
Available HD Space: 300MB (605 recommended)
CD-ROM Drive: 4x or faster CD-ROM or 4x or faster DVD-ROM Drive
Audio System: DirectX 7.0 Compatible Sound Card
Video System: PCI Local Bus Video Card (8M 3D accelerator recommended)
O/S: Windows® 95/98/2000/Windows® NT 4.0/Linux/Mac
Network and Internet Play: via TCP/IP (28.8K minimum speed)

200 pentium =/= 200 arm 9
gp2x = no 3d gpu/fpu

edit//
some would say unreal tournament pushed the dreamcast to it's limits, now if a 200mhz hitachi processor with a gpu finds this difficult to handle, i doublt we'll ever get more than 5fps from the gp2x, but then again, i'm no tech wizard =]

The problem with it is that those are the bare "minimum" specs for Unreal Tournament, which means if you want the game to play decently on the PC, you need to step up each of those requirements to get half-decent performance. Software rendering on the old PC's was crude at the time

With only the VESA bus, a 200MHz x86 processor, 32 megs of ram, a slow HD, minimum sound support, you would essentially crawl slower than a turtle

I think the pros with a GP2X version would be...
- ARM9 is a much more powerful processor than the X86 CPU's of the same speed
- Faster RAM speed than an older PCs, like the ones that were around when it first came out.
- Possible second CPU for easier load on first CPU
- Squidge's MMU hack perhaps for slightly better performance
- 320x240 native resolution is a perfect resolution for the 2X, and IS available in software mode from the engine.
- If done correctly, assets COULD be precached on all GP2X's for less load times
- The UT engine does have options to disable the advanced video features, like lessening all the details or using simpler models/textures.
- The audio could be stripped down to disable reverb, voice taunts, etc
- The music could be resampled perhaps using a 3rd party tool or something to convert to simpler format, like MIDI.
- Mouse/Keyboard support through the BOB/USB host
- TV-Out support
- Possible multiplayer support

CONS! (Yikes)
- No support for larger textures likely
- No support for environmental audio effects
- No real video ram to work with, which if I remember will slow down graphics processing
- The GP2X control has 8-buttons plus the 2 volume buttons, so playing without keyboard/mouse might be a challenge/chore
- The GP2X is running about the MINIMUM speed to effectively play the game, before overclocking/ARM enhancements, etc.
- Large maps/mods might slow the engine down drastically
- Multiplayer might only be possible with other GP2X owners

This is all just speculation based on what I know of the older PC's without hardware acceleration. Anyone, feel free to correct me.

Won't happen. Ever. If the GP2x can't handle an N64 Emulator, and Quake 2 Chugs, it certainly can't handle an extremely graphics intensive 3D game like UT.

Also, my old computer:
2.4Ghz Pentium
64MB internal video
512MB DDRRAM
50Gig HD
Will stutter while playing UT on its medium settings. The game was great, but it has a problem with being a severe system hog due to alot of code that Epic never bothered to tighten up prior to release.

Azalin posted on Aug 21 2006 at 03:45 PM said:
Won't happen. Ever. If the GP2x can't handle an N64 Emulator, and Quake 2 Chugs, it certainly can't handle an extremely graphics intensive 3D game like UT.

Also, my old computer:
2.4Ghz Pentium
64MB internal video
512MB DDRRAM
50Gig HD
Will stutter while playing UT on its medium settings. The game was great, but it has a problem with being a severe system hog due to alot of code that Epic never bothered to tighten up prior to release.
I think that is more of a fault with your PC not having a 3d graphics card.

Last edited by a moderator:
well thanks for letting me know. would have been great if possible though :unsure:
You think it would be possible on A Zodiac :p

Well, by working on the GP2X, I meant with all settings to low resolution, the second CPU in on the action, every hack and programming trick available and the audio stripped down. Then you will get perhaps 5-10 FPS. Not to mention the ARM is a lot tighter architechture than the x86 used to be. Also you'd have to strip out reflections, use the smallest textures, maybe use custom models with less polygons and detail. Yeah, I'm guessing 5-10 frames per second maximum, until a lot of action "happens" in the viewable area, then it'll slow down to 0.5 - 1 FPS at that. Not really worth playing, but it would work in theory.

Probably the closest we could get to a playable UT is probably not going to make
Epic very happy.

Use the Quake1 engine that has already been ported to the GP2x, which is actually
playable. Since all of the content would need to be resized/downgraded, it may as well
be created from scratch in Quake's native formats, also allowing it to be completely free
(ie, no need to hunt down shareware or buy media).

A rather odd solution i must admit, but at least its better than attempting to port
the UT engine to the GP2x.

-Twixn-

Winterkid posted on Aug 22 2006 at 07:58 AM said:
Well, by working on the GP2X, I meant with all settings to low resolution, the second CPU in on the action, every hack and programming trick available and the audio stripped down. Then you will get perhaps 5-10 FPS. Not to mention the ARM is a lot tighter architechture than the x86 used to be. Also you'd have to strip out reflections, use the smallest textures, maybe use custom models with less polygons and detail. Yeah, I'm guessing 5-10 frames per second maximum, until a lot of action "happens" in the viewable area, then it'll slow down to 0.5 - 1 FPS at that. Not really worth playing, but it would work in theory.

They will be nothing left :p rather use Quake's engine, as Twixn says... Too bad we don't have some GPU but eh, GP2X with a GPU would not be a GP2X anymore, right? ;)

I wonder that noone ever mentioned physics! UT is a game that - I assume - relies heavily on float point math, thus making it almost impossible to be played on a system without a decent FPU - such as the gp2x. Also I wonder why Azalin is reporting such a drastic lack of playability on his 2,4 Ghz computer. Back in the day, I used to run UT off a 500mhz AMD K-6 with a voodoo 2 graphics card - that is a gpu with 32mb vram. It didn't run with full detail but mostly medium and was pretty fast...

what about an interpriter for the original unreal? would that be possible (it might not due to the fact that the 2x can barely handl quake 2, but still dont hurt to ask)

JaqMs posted on Aug 22 2006 at 05:51 PM said:
UT might be able to work on the XGP, but probably very slow.

Why is that? If the XGP has the specs it is reported to have, then it should run ok... It has an FPU, 266mhz ARM9 CPU and a pretty decent GPU.

I wonder that noone ever mentioned physics! UT is a game that - I assume - relies heavily on float point math, thus making it almost impossible to be played on a system without a decent FPU - such as the gp2x. Also I wonder why Azalin is reporting such a drastic lack of playability on his 2,4 Ghz computer. Back in the day, I used to run UT off a 500mhz AMD K-6 with a voodoo 2 graphics card - that is a gpu with 32mb vram. It didn't run with full detail but mostly medium and was pretty fast...

UT doesn't have much in physics, just your basic running and jumping physics, and some gibbing physics I think is all it has.

Anhaedra posted on Aug 23 2006 at 07:30 AM said:
UT doesn't have much in physics, just your basic running and jumping physics, and some gibbing physics I think is all it has.
Nope, the physics aren't special. But they heavly depent on floats. Replacing the floats with any fixed point wouldn't work very easly, alot of stuff simply asumes it can make huge or tiny numbers.

Back