Unofficial Openpandora Community Blog

Thats great news. Though the cynic inside me cant help but think nobody 'forgot' to tell anybody, rather just keep it aside for a slow news period :p

Still, 14 hours. Wow! I don't know how much drain the WiFi has, but even if it's something silly like 50% that still gives 7 hours of surf time! Should also please the guys who want to plug in USB mice and keyboards...

My math may be a little off here, but if
4000 mAh => 10 hours
then
4800 mAh = 4000*1.2 => 10*1.2 = 12 hours
And that's with the assumption that we were getting the full 10 hours, which previous testing suggested we weren't quite getting. More like 8 hours, which only now gets bumped to 10.
How did he arrive at 14 hours?

edit: whoops, I'm way off. It was only bumped by 200 mAh, not 800. That makes the suggested 14 hours even more suspicious. How can a 5% increase in battery power translate into 40% increase in life expectancy?

MWeston's reply on the blog post seems to indicate that this is a best-case scenario (screen brightness on low, not much taxing the CPU, etc)

It's a big disappointment that Craig seems to have taken to laptop-manufacture style battery-life estimates. Still I should have expected as much really...

WizardStan said:
My math may be a little off here, but if
4000 mAh => 10 hours
then
4800 mAh = 4000*1.2 => 10*1.2 = 12 hours
And that's with the assumption that we were getting the full 10 hours, which previous testing suggested we weren't quite getting. More like 8 hours, which only now gets bumped to 10.
How did he arrive at 14 hours?

edit: whoops, I'm way off. It was only bumped by 200 mAh, not 800. That makes the suggested 14 hours even more suspicious. How can a 5% increase in battery power translate into 40% increase in life expectancy?

Because we didn't do proper tests until the last few days, and there is still much room for improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think battery estimates should be in balls to the wall mode, everything turned up as high as possible, CPU speed to max (not OC) screen to max, streaming over wifi running a video all at same time maybe even using bluetooth as well if people want that too....then if it goes for 7 hours you know NO MATTER WHAT you are gonna get 7 hours, if you do less, even longer. I hate the whole Ipod at 20% volume with screen off gives you 20 hours, so when the screen is on then what!? You have to find out and it's usually when you need the power most you find out it don't last. Please Craig and Co. Give this beast a test with some real usage, no need to run USB devices as I'm sure that will vary, but run the wifi and/or bluetooth (which I won't be using), screen bright using full CPU while reading SD, let us know how good it realistically will be. Or don't do the estimates at all as those conditional ones are just plain deceiving.

craigix said:
Because we didn't do proper tests until the last few days, and there is still much room for improvement.
So are you suggesting that, if you had done proper testing, we would have found the 4000 mAh already capable of 12 or 13 hours under ideal conditions? This may be the first time you (personally) actually made a conservative guess and found that the reality exceeded expectations. ;)

The battery life has always been one of the main parts of the Pandora we wanted to kill the competition with. I think we have the biggest battery ever put in to a modern hand held.

Consider that other omap3 devices are shipping with 1400mah batteries and getting 4-6 hours.

At 1400mah the Pandora is just warming up.

Once all the power saving features of the device are active we can expect things to get even better.

Wifi is the biggest battery killer (as usual) and we should have some results with that soon, but they will be damned good in comparison with any other hand held.

craigix said:
The battery life has always been one of the main parts of the Pandora we wanted to kill the competition with. I think we have the biggest battery ever put in to a modern hand held.

Consider that other omap3 devices are shipping with 1400mah batteries and getting 4-6 hours.

At 1400mah the Pandora is just warming up.
HEHE, i understood what u meant but it looks like if the pandora required 1400mAh just to barely boot up

isnt there a table showing Power consumption of each of the Pandora components?

18dBm output hmm is there anyway to attach an external antenna? (i would like to also use it as a wardriving(scouting) unit).
a RP-SMA connector would be huge and useless so would it be possible to attach to the aux like on a laptop mini button connector?

it would kill some mAh out of the pandora giving it an external booster.

Enverex said:
Is there any point to the roadmap at all? All I ever see is the dates being constantly amended. It's no more use than random guesses.
Yes, but they are the most current random guesses based on latest information. This way some random guy doesn't have to roam the forums to get the latest estimates. Of course we who check the forums on a more regular basis already know better.

Oh hello forums. I've had a massive week of work and sleeping. So far the blog hasn't updated itself, so I'll have to step in. Thanks for the heads up B-Zar.

Enverex, yeah I've been dreading the whole creeping date thing on the roadmap. I went way out on a limb putting those estimates in (ever the optimist, me), and the impending revision is going to burst a few bubbles out there. But the roadmap serves a bigger purpose than a few guessed dates; it's there to give people a snapshot of what's involved in the lead up to mass production. My hope is that people (non forum readers) can look at it and understand why "they can't just hurry up and release it".

But, the whole thing probably does come across as a bit worthless for people who are focussed on the dates. *sigh* Time to stick some words together.

your tireless efforts are much appreciated Gruso, where's your help?

Tom (aka tovmas on the blog) has been in touch this week. :) He intended to post some stuff, but didn't have access on the new blog. Something wasn't working. The good news about these bugs is that atomicthumbs gets to suffer too.

Update from Craig, should be added to blog:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49629-by-the-end-of-the-year/page__st__60__p__756590&#entry756590

To be worried now, when everything is coming to a neat conclusion is a little bewildering.

Michael got the new keymat, the keys are perfect, but it's a good thing we got a set of samples as the rubber isn't quite soft enough, after a while the Dpad gives some ache on the thumb, so the 4000 are going to be ~20% softer.

I know I keep repeating but it's little things like that which make all the difference on a device you will likely be using for at least 2 years.

Gruso said:
Tom (aka tovmas on the blog) has been in touch this week. :) He intended to post some stuff, but didn't have access on the new blog. Something wasn't working. The good news about these bugs is that atomicthumbs gets to suffer too.

Yup, and what's more, Wordpress has decided to eat my drafts, in addition to acting generally dodgy. <_<

Someday I'll get this stuff figured out... the good news is I'm done with the summer job, so I should have at least a bit more time for this...

Tom` said:
Gruso said:

Yup, and what's more, Wordpress has decided to eat my drafts, in addition to acting generally dodgy. <_<

Someday I'll get this stuff figured out... the good news is I'm done with the summer job, so I should have at least a bit more time for this...

Gruso noticed that the draft function was being wonky; try publishing them privately and making it public when you're done. Sorry about that :(

Back