Tv Out

Spykez

Search brought up nothing for me.

I bought a wiz for the tv ou function seeing as I saw it advertised but apparently GPH couldn't get it to work (good job guys!)

Anywho, glad the pandora is going to have it, how is it going to work? S-Video? Composit? If it's s-video what kind of converter would I need to get it to work on my composit TV? I have nothing in this house with S-video.

Also when using s-video > composit, how does the sound work?

The A/V cable has five phono plugs (male):
2 – Line input L and R (unbalanced)
2 – Line output L and R (unbalanced)
1 – Composite output

It also has one S-Video connector (male, 4 pin). The signals are shared on the composite and S-Video outputs so only one at a time can be used and setting the output is done on the Pandora by software (or you will get a black and white picture on composite jack if set to S-Video for example).

http://www.gp32x.de...63&#entry723563

:)

[edit] And here's a video of the TV output in action.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question with the tv out cable, i was going to creat a post but i think i better ask here.

I have read the faq and all the post about the tv out but i didn't see what will be the max resolution of pandora in tv, i mean, i have a 23" 1900x1200 and i want to know if pandora can handle that res...

It's composite / S-Video, standard old non-HD TV res in other words. Your TV will upscale that, but it won't look 'HD'

Asmo said:
It's composite / S-Video, standard old non-HD TV res in other words. Your TV will upscale that, but it won't look 'HD'

lol mario in hd >.<

guizm said:
well ... at least it will be full-screen, or so i think
1920x1200 23" is usually a 16:10 aspect ratio. If you full-screen the Pandora output it will be stretched. This is a major problem for me, but for some reason no one else seems to care. If stretching doesn't bother you it should be able to stretch pandora's output to fit the screen. You are talking about a TV and not a monitor, right?

rabidpoobear said:
guizm said:
1920x1200 23" is usually a 16:10 aspect ratio. If you full-screen the Pandora output it will be stretched. This is a major problem for me, but for some reason no one else seems to care. If stretching doesn't bother you it should be able to stretch pandora's output to fit the screen. You are talking about a TV and not a monitor, right?

If your screen is 1080P and it's upscaling, it'll be 1920x1080, not 1920x1200.

rabidpoobear said:
guizm said:
Its a tft monitor, the one i use for my pc, is there any diference in a tv or a monitor? im very noob at this...

guizm said:
Its a tft monitor, the one i use for my pc, is there any diference in a tv or a monitor? im very noob at this...
PC's monitors usually doesn't have neither composite nor s-video input. But there are some PC's monitors with those inputs, especially if they are combined with TV tuner. Other options is use some S-Video to (S)VGA converter.

Enverex said:
rabidpoobear said:
guizm said:

If your screen is 1080P and it's upscaling, it'll be 1920x1080, not 1920x1200.
Regardless, neither of those are common for monitors that are the same aspect ratio as the Pandora screen. I can't remember if the Pandora can output 16:9 at 720x480 or something as well, but if it only outputs 4:3 then you're not just scaling, you're stretching, if it fills a whole screen that's 16:9 or 16:10.

And his monitor is not 1080p, it's 1920x1200. Some monitors do not do scaling without fullscreen stretching.

Its already 1080p full hd... i think my head its going to explode with all this. I can connect it to a 40" 1080p 1900x1200 tv via s-video, in that case it will be full-screen without stretching? Perhaps some pandora dev here knows the pandora outputs?

guizm said:
Its already 1080p full hd... i think my head its going to explode with all this. I can connect it to a 40" 1080p 1900x1200 tv via s-video, in that case it will be full-screen without stretching? Perhaps some pandora dev here knows the pandora outputs?

1900x1200 is beyond 1080p ;)

Essentially, it's less to do with the Pandora's output than it is to do with how your TV/Monitor handles 'legacy' analogue signals (and/or 4:3 ratio).

For example, most of the systems intended for emulation on the Pandora had a 4:3 output - so if you intend to view them on your screen as they were originally intended, you WILL have black bars on either side. You cannot logically 'fullscreen' view a 4:3 image on a widescreen without horizontal stretching (or worse, losing the top and bottom of the image by 'zooming').
If the game/video being played on the Pandora has a 16:9 mode, most widescreen TVs have manual aspect ratio selection, so even if the Pandora's signal is technically 4:3, you could correctly display the 16:9 image by selecting the appropriate Aspect setting on your TV (there should only be 3 or 4 modes, it'll be obvious once you see it).

Asmo said:
guizm said:

1900x1200 is beyond 1080p ;)

Essentially, it's less to do with the Pandora's output than it is to do with how your TV/Monitor handles 'legacy' analogue signals (and/or 4:3 ratio).

For example, most of the systems intended for emulation on the Pandora had a 4:3 output - so if you intend to view them on your screen as they were originally intended, you WILL have black bars on either side. You cannot logically 'fullscreen' view a 4:3 image on a widescreen without horizontal stretching (or worse, losing the top and bottom of the image by 'zooming').
If the game/video being played on the Pandora has a 16:9 mode, most widescreen TVs have manual aspect ratio selection, so even if the Pandora's signal is technically 4:3, you could correctly display the 16:9 image by selecting the appropriate Aspect setting on your TV (there should only be 3 or 4 modes, it'll be obvious once you see it).

Thanks for the info, i was really lost in this theme...

Back