Tv Out Problems

darklight1138

I got a Wiz for Christmas even though I wanted a Dingoo because of the TV out feature. Happy with the Wiz but very disappointed in the lack of a reliable TV out feature. I found a cable online through ebay and received it yesterday. I downloaded a program from openhandhelds and I can get the Wiz main menu to display on the TV. However, running emulators is a different story. With the NES emulator, I get lines all over the place to the point where you cannot see what you're doing. On the Sega emulator I get a double image also with lines. It is completely unplayable on the television. It will display movies but the quality is crap which I expected.

GinGE has a TV out setting but I cannot get it to do anything.

Anyway, is this the best I can expect from the TV out? Is the program included with "GP2x WIZ TV OUT Solution" from openhandheld the only option or is there another program that works?

I really would like to get my Wiz on the television so any help is appreciated!

Edit: Looking at videos of TV out demos for the Wiz I see that I do NOT get a checkerboard type test screen on my Wiz. It's a blank screen with an arrow. Like I said, the Wiz menu displays fine, just no emulators.

Is there anything I can do to the cable? I bought it off Ebay, didn't make the cable.

I'm almost thinking it's yet another ThinkGeek Christmas batch issue or something, because there are youtube videos of the Wiz outputting emulation to TVs.

I have also tried, I have same problem, it seems that he is allergic to the emulators, to me it works alone gngeo for the time being, I don't believe both guilt of the cable, is surely guilt of the emulators, the mame that I like doesn't work :(

Its a scaling or tearing fix problem that makes this tv-out issue a problem I think. Uae works, cps2 emu, neogeo cd, GBA (play with the scaling options) Picodrive( menu is slow but if you find the right video settings games play fine) and FCE (no rotation?) all work. Snes, frodo, vice, MAME, RageNeo dont seem to work. So at least we can play NeogeoCD, nes, amiga, capcom and sega genesis/sega cd. Still...

This looks like an easy fix if anyone would care to look into it IMO. I'll keep experimenting and if anyone else here can add to list of working emulators, solutions feel free..

I haven't tried the TV-out mod for my WIZ yet but in following some online guide about DOSBox I ran across the Pollux_Set and Pollux DPC Set tools which supposedly you can use to reduce or eliminate screen tearing by changing the lcd timings. I'm just curious if you have tried either of these with your TV-Out solution and what the results were? I'm hoping to get TV-Out working on my WIZ at some point too.

gnarface said:
I haven't tried the TV-out mod for my WIZ yet but in following some online guide about DOSBox I ran across the Pollux_Set and Pollux DPC Set tools which supposedly you can use to reduce or eliminate screen tearing by changing the lcd timings. I'm just curious if you have tried either of these with your TV-Out solution and what the results were? I'm hoping to get TV-Out working on my WIZ at some point too.

Hmm, I'll look into that..,I'm not the smartest guy in the world but if we could figure out the settings that work for the Working TV-out programs and then just change the settings of the non-working programs to those values it may work.

By the way I tried PhoneMe the mobile/java emulator and it works fine with tv-out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I don't understand most of this because I just copied it from that DOSBox guide. It is clear the cpuclk part just overclocks the processor to 700MHZ but the values for lcd_timings and ram_timings are definitely over my head.

Code:
./pollux_set 'lcd_timings=397,1,37,277,341,0,17,337;dpc_clkdiv0=9;cpuclk=700;ram_timings=2,9,4,1,1,1,1'

I use it like this in the .gpe file to start a game in my DOSBox install:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

./pollux_set 'lcd_timings=397,1,37,277,341,0,17,337;dpc_clkdiv0=9;cpuclk=700;ram_timings=2,9,4,1,1,1,1'
DIRROOT=/mnt/nand/game/dosbox
DIRGAME=${DIRROOT}/ultima_vi
${DIRROOT}/dosbox -conf ${DIRGAME}/dosbox.conf
cd /usr/gp2x
./gp2xmenu

I would assume you could make a .gpe script for pretty much any program and insert this pollux_set line or one that is similar, but whether it can even help or not I do not know for sure. I noticed that the WIZ_TV_OUT howto includes a tv_test.gpu executable that they have you run to switch to TV Out mode. Do you use that as well or do you just plug in a cable? I'm not sure I understand the process here.

UPDATE: I just noticed this new TV-Out switcher app that (unlike the tv_test.gpu in the WIZ_TV_OUT howto mentioned above) also supports PAL. Maybe it would be of use as well?

When you plug the wiz in you then have to run one of the tv-out apps to make it switch to tv-out mode, I have tried both and with the same results. I also looked at the pollux app and its over my head as well maybe I should get Notaz's attention he might be able to shed some light on this situation...

Now PCSX4all and Mame work with TV-out, Now we just need C64 and final burn to be complete..

Weird. It suddenly works for me. Can't get NES or SuperNES to work. How do you get NES to work?

there is a snes version in the archive that supports tvout, although its kinda choppy

Back