Turnaround Time On Warranty Repairs?

atomicthumbs

I am the king of the collectors, with hospital bed
Website
printeronfire.org
My Pandora is a sad panda. Its LCD cable is fudged and the screen turns purple and/or green. The right nub also needs replacement; it feels like it's getting caught on corners inside the nub.

Question to people who have had theirs repaired: what kind of turnaround time can I expect? My family is planning to go on a trip fairly soon and I want to know whether I can safely send it back, or if I should live with it for the duration of the trip. Thanks!

(Also, what's the best shipping method for shipping from California to England, in terms of value and speed?)

Well, I sent my Pandy to repair the 24th of june, using Spain's postal service, and it was delivered the 1st of july according to the tracker, and that's the last thing I know. Jacquelyn said to me they will send me an email the day it has been repaired and dispatched.

I had a problem too with the screen cable after 2 days of use. More precisely the screen stopped receiving the green data (it showed only red and blues) and the signal was completely lost if I opened the lid more than 50 degrees. I wonder how common this will be.

EDIT: rephrasing

It took about a week and a half for mine. More than half of that time was shipping to/from (I'm in Boston). I also had the LCD cable issue. I got a new unit back and the new one clocks up to 900MHz!

EDIT: I would go with USPS for the shipping, since when I looked into UPS and FedEx, the rates were insane. They can tell you at the post office how long it will take with each option and the pricing.

screen problem here too. flickers and turns purple depending on screen angle. I'm still waiting on a response to the email I sent about a week and a half ago about needing repair. If the repair turnaround is anything like their email turnaround I'd say keep your pandora till you get back.

I'm hoping they send me an email when they ship it back as I mailed it in on Thursday of last week after becoming convinced both nubs were dead, so I'm a bit curious how long it takes for them to fix a unit as well as the dead nubs were the only real problem I had.

Edit:
emil1001, I hope the one I see clocks that high, but to tell the truth I've never really overclocked and so can't be sure how high mine could effectively clock to (in the options it said 900MHz). I do hope for the same unit again though as the only thing that was really wrong was the nubs.

In my case (the left nub developed a fault, one part of which was the same as you describe with the right nub on yours), and a replacement unit was sent out to me the day after my original one arrived at the office in Newcastle and they took a look at it.

I'm UK-based, though, so I can't comment on how long you'd have to wait. :p

Korlithiel said:
(in the options it said 900MHz)
The CPU speed slider can go up to 900MHz on all of them - it doesn't necessarily mean that all the units can do that. ;) (My first one, and its replacement, both did/do 850MHz stably, for example.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I shipped mine back (also from Boston). I used USPS global express guaranteed - shipped 6/29, arrived 7/1. It's not cheap, but it's a lot less than UPS or Fedex and I insured it for a few extra $.

I got my pandora back in 6 days. again like a lot of you this was due to the screen messing up, mine was showing everything in hot pink. Although im happy I have it back now and they fixed everything I have never got a email from them about it being fixed, returned or sent out initially.

Anyway they fixed it so cant really complain :D

Wow I hadn't realised so many were developing faults...might explain a few things!

ceepeeuk said:
Wow I hadn't realised so many were developing faults...might explain a few things!
I wonder what the percent of faults are!? With as few Pandoras that OP has shipped so far this is quite a few people in just this thread having issues and thats not good.

Mutilator said:
I got my pandora back in 6 days. again like a lot of you this was due to the screen messing up, mine was showing everything in hot pink. Although im happy I have it back now and they fixed everything I have never got a email from them about it being fixed, returned or sent out initially.

Anyway they fixed it so cant really complain :D

did you just mail it to them without emailing first? :huh:

Bosbeetle said:
there are only about 10 people in here thats not that much for almost 1000 units shipped
about 60 voted on my poll and have their pandora. Those are the people that are likely to reply to this thread if they had a warranty replacement. So far in this thread 8 people reported. This translates into 8/60=13% failure rate. I don't believe it.

BTW, from http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=2&Itemid=2&lang=en

* LCD-Cables: Quite a few LCD cables failed after assembly. A few ones failed after delivery. This was a bit puzzling - but we found the issue: Spikey solder blobs on the speaker cables killed the LCD cable when closing the lid. Fix for now: Be more careful while soldering them. Fix for Batch 2: Move the solder points beneath the LCD cable. Since we know about this, no LCD cables failed anymore. Issue fixed :)

cosurgi said:
about 60 voted on my poll and have their pandora. Those are the people that are likely to reply to this thread if they had a warranty replacement. So far in this thread 8 people reported. This translates into 8/60=13% failure rate. I don't believe it.
One can only hope that that's the first 500 with "teething" issues, as it were, while they figured out what they were doing wrong. The later ones are perhaps better?

mine wasn't in the first wave of shipments but the second. serial number was around 300 I think, if that helps.

To have some more positive feedback about the Pandora Quality, I would like to know if there are 100% flawless Pandoras out there? No Nub/Case/LCD/Shoulder Button issues, everything fits and is in Shape? No gaps, no cracks, no nothing? At least ONE Unit, PLEASE!
I only read about Quality issues but I would like to read about improved Quality in Building. Not only from Craigix but from happy Users that had one of the later Pandoras. :)

fusion_power said:
To have some more positive feedback about the Pandora Quality, I would like to know if there are 100% flawless Pandoras out there? No Nub/Case/LCD/Shoulder Button issues, everything fits and is in Shape? No gaps, no cracks, no nothing? At least ONE Unit, PLEASE!
I only read about Quality issues but I would like to read about improved Quality in Building. Not only from Craigix but from happy Users that had one of the later Pandoras. :)
Well, I bought a one-nubber, both nubs work fine. Everything was perfect until I dropped it, now the hinge is loose but otherwise perfect.

edit- to be honest, I dropped it about 4 times so far. The last 3 times were because the cable on the power adaptor is so short, so people keep tripping on my pandora.

fusion_power said:

I believe that's why they say that they're a vocal minority. Or that the ones with problems shout the loudest.

Strait from the horse's (no offense Jacquelyn :) ) mouth:

Jacquelyn via E-Mail said:
The turnaround time from us receiving it would be 5/10 days for repair

Just to be clear, I have never said that the pandora was of poor quality, and I did not intend to imply that in my post in any way. I have been very happy with my unit and expected to see some issues initially. Mine was one of the very first few built with the assembly line, so of course there would be issues to iron out with that process.

Back