True timeless games.

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Imagine we were building a games museum.

No, not some lottery granted tat stocked with the best known games of the era.

This museum would hold the best games which still stand up and are still entirely playable now.

Which games would you put in there that you reckon even the kids of today would enjoy?

The one game I think I've played the most in my gaming life and still enjoy just as much today is Pinball Dreams, the gameplay, the music and the graphics still stand up. There is nothing in that game to update. It's pretty much perfect and it's 20 years old.

What would you recommend?

It would have to be Elite for me. I played it when it was released on the BBC micro and still like it today. Yes I am getting old.

Banjo Tooie and DK 64.

Most of the new games have less features than these 3 great games.

Reunion. I have played this game a lot on PC. As it happens with films or books, games with rich universes and storylines are best enjoyed without knowing anything about them prior to actually play them. That was how i played Reunion.

Hmm.

Spectrum - Manic Miner, JSW, all the Sabreman games up to Knightlore... Cybernoid 1+2... God, there were hundreds that are just as good now as then.

C64 - The minter games.

Amiga - PTC (awesome little centipede clone with great music), Speedball (NOT brutal deluxe), Carrier Command... And many more. Oh, yes, Zool 2.

D.

BoulderDash - Atari

SpinDizzy - CPC

The Sentinel - CPC

Uridium - C64

ParaDroid - C64

CastleVania: Symphony Of The Night - PSX

OutRun - Arcade

RoboCop - Arcade

BoulderDash - Atari

SpinDizzy - CPC

The Sentinel - CPC

Uridium - C64

ParaDroid - C64

CastleVania: Symphony Of The Night - PSX

OutRun - Arcade

RoboCop - Arcade

Castlevania psx, forgot about that one, epic game.

Let me add this one to the list, its the prequel of Castlevania on the psx, every fan of Symphony of the night must play it:

PC Engine CD:

Castlevania - Rondo of Blood

https://www.youtube.com/embed/u2-8B-JROQw?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh Stunt Car Racer. Pure gameplay at its finest!

A lot of games which still work well today involve physics which make the game difficult (maybe impossible) to master.

Others involve random elements which cannot be (easily) predicted.

That magic ingredient seems to be making the game seem like you can master/predict it it, but in reality you can't.

Like some forms of gambling.

I'm sure there is a 100,000 word PhD thesis on this somewhere.

M.U.L.E. -- 4 player action on the Atari 800. What a classic. Great game to sit down and play with 3 buds in the living room. Can be played competitively or cooperatively.

The Sentinel (various)

(as spoken about previously here) Bubble Bobble (arcade)

Marble Madness / Spindizzy

Super Skidmarks (amiga)

Head Over Heels (spectrum)

I have a soft Spot for Gals Panic, though it might need to be cleaned up! (arcade)

Gauntlet 2 (arcade)

Frogger

Micro Machines

Pacland

Mario Bros

Klax

Tetris

...timeless classics, as are some of the already mentioned [Head Over Heals, Gauntlet, Doom, Outrun]

oh lol, didn't look at the video much; it is pretty much the origin of the 3D RPG that we enjoy today.. DM was the first 3d mouse controlled RPG. So you know how peopel spent much of their time in Skyrim making salads? Here you go :)

DM is a 'race to to the bottom of the dungeon, kill the dragon and wizard, steal their shit' dungeon romp :)

It directly inspired Eye of the Beholder and others.

It has an excellent sense of 'place' .. theres no real audio except for effects, but its a game that you can play 20 years later, and you will still remember every door, every turn in the maze, every surprise. You were _there_.

jeff

edit: oh, thats just starting a game; picking up gear and junk from the floor is sor tof how you get your starting kit. Its a real time game, so your torches burn out over time, and you eat food to keep stamina and health, that sort of thing. So you first pick up some apples and torches, and then go crush your first enemy in a doorway :)

oh lol, didn't look at the video much; it is pretty much the origin of the 3D RPG that we enjoy today.. DM was the first 3d mouse controlled RPG. So you know how peopel spent much of their time in Skyrim making salads? Here you go :)

DM is a 'race to to the bottom of the dungeon, kill the dragon and wizard, steal their shit' dungeon romp :)

It directly inspired Eye of the Beholder and others.

It has an excellent sense of 'place' .. theres no real audio except for effects, but its a game that you can play 20 years later, and you will still remember every door, every turn in the maze, every surprise. You were _there_.

jeff

Ah, cool :)

On the Snes theres a cool dungeon crawler like that called Arcana:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/RIHudYV_eC8?feature=oembed

Back