Touch Screen Stopped Working

kloppix

Still Fresh
Hello Everybody. I have been having trouble with the touchscreen of my gp2x. The problem is that the gp2x behave as if the right side of the touchscreen is always pressed. I have tried updating the firmware from 4 to 4.02, from there to 4.1 to go back to the 4.0.0 with no luck. I also opened the console and the touchscreen seems perfect. As a matter of fact it seems so good that now I don’t know if the problem it’s in another place.
Does anybody have been this problem? Where can I buy a replacement? I have seen replacement touchscreens on internet for several gadgets (for example there are stores that sells the NDS touchscreen for less than 10$). Well, that’s all. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This‭ ‬is weird.‭ ‬Yesterday I answered Gruso and today I don‭’‬t see what I wrote.

Anyway,‭ ‬yes.‭ ‬I‭ ‬tried‭ ‬calibrating it without luck.‭ Fortunately‬ i found the problem.

Using‭ ‬Graffiti‭ ‬I saw that the X axis was always on‭ ‬315,‭ ‬so‭ ‬I guessed it was the‭ ‬case making to much pressure to the touchscreen.‭ ‬However I found that the problem about the case touching the screen was in the left side.‭ ‬I have no idea why it behave as the opposite side was being pressed.

Using a drinking straw I removed some of the glue‭ ‬between the case and the screen and the touch screen started working a lot better so I removed some more glue.‭ ‬Now the touchscreen‭ ‬Works‭ ‬perfectly.

So the glue was the culprit! :lol:

Good to hear you got it sorted out. B)

PlopperZ said:
could you post exactly how you did this? I've got the exact same problem
What is your firmware version? If it's 4.0.2 (or 4.1.0), then it could be firmware related.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's got nothing to do with the FW. I started with 4.0.0 and recently upgraded to 4.0.2 hoping to solve the problem, but it did nothing.

PlopperZ said:
I know it's got nothing to do with the FW. I started with 4.0.0 and recently upgraded to 4.0.2 hoping to solve the problem, but it did nothing.
Then this might be the solution... hopefully kloppix could elaborate more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi PlopperZ. First check if the case is making too much pressure on the screen. The paint application Graffiti it's great for this because it says the X and Y position of the cursor. As I said, in my case the X axis was always on 315. Besides, when I pushed the stylus hardly against the screen the cursor worked alright, but as soon as I released the stylus the cursor always went back to the right side of the screen.

Trying to separate a little the white plastic case from the screen I used a drink straw as seen in the picture. Using the straw I removed some glue from the right side with little success, but as soon as I removed some glue from the upper-right sector the cursor started working a lot better. Finally I found that the distance from the left side of the screen to the case was so small that the straw barely passed. After removing some of the glue the touchscreen started to work even better than when my gp2x was new

touchscreengp2xhs6.jpg

P.D. You should go back to the firmware 4.0.0 or upgrade it to the 4.1.0, as the 4.0.2 is buggy with the touchscreen. In fact mine didn't work with the 4.0.2

Thanks alot!
I'll try this out as soon as I can find a straw :)

EDIT:
I obviously don't have the same problem, because I took the GP2X apart and removed ALL of the glue. It fixed the problem with the Y axis, but alternates between the left and right sides now. :(

Back