Touch panel issue

Kettling

Still Fresh
I received my 1GHz edition Pandora today, and I'm very happy with it, but I've been having an issue with the touchscreen that I haven't been able to solve by myself.

When I use the touchscreen with my stylus, the cursor will not follow the stylus to either the left or right border of the screen. I can get the cursor in (nearly, it's having some issues with the top-left) every corner of the screen, but if I then trace the screen border with my stylus, the position of the cursor starts to deviate further towards the middle of the screen of the stylus as I get to the vertical center of the screen. Tapping the stylus near the left or right side of the screen shows the same deviation. 

I have tried a few things (which I listed below), to try and eliminate a few possible software causes. They have had no success so far. Even after reflashing the problem persists. What has me baffled is the fact that the problems gets worse over time, but it can partly be restored by calibrating, but not entirely. The cursor still won't get within 1,5 cm of the screen borders after recalibration (or any of the other methods described below).

What I have tried so far:

• Calibrate (many times just to be sure)
  • Reboot
  • System update
  • Reflash (with SuperZaxxon155 from openpandora.org/firmware)
I've uploaded a video to help me explain the issue at hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4hl4f-YAw4

I've also attached a photo of a bulge at the bottom of the LCD. I don't know if it is related or even an issue, but it might be useful.

If anyone can help me out, I would be most grateful. I can't wait to enjoy the pandora in its full glory.

2013-09-23 22-08-30.125.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The calibration you showed looks fine.  Mine have the same problem as you but works fine in games.  My guess is that you have to apply perfect pressure at all times while dragging for it to work but that's hard to do because I drink too much and my hands are always shaken :)   Have you tried a game with it?  If it works with a game, I wouldn't worry about what you showed in the video.  The bulge on the bottom shouldn't be an issue because mine is the same like that.

Have you ensured there are no foreign bodies between the bezel and the screen?

Have you made sure the bezel is properly clipped into place?

The calibration you showed looks fine.  Mine have the same problem as you but works fine in games.  My guess is that you have to apply perfect pressure at all times while dragging for it to work but that's hard to do because I drink too much and my hands are always shaken :)   Have you tried a game with it?  If it works with a game, I wouldn't worry about what you showed in the video.  The bulge on the bottom shouldn't be an issue because mine is the same like that.
I have tried Freeciv and Lemmings and the problem persists.

Have you ensured there are no foreign bodies between the bezel and the screen?

Have you made sure the bezel is properly clipped into place?
I've looked down the small gap between the bezel and the screen, I can't see anything that could cause the gap. Since I've only just received the Pandora I'm quite hesitant to open it up for further inspection, or to apply pressure to the area, since it's near the LCD.

The bowing on the bottom of the screen is typical to the Pandora, an unfortunate design flaw and all three of my Pandoras have it... however your issue is most likely the clips on the top of the screen. ensure they are popped in place.

EDIT: Sometime loosening the screws sometimes does the trick.

The bowing on the bottom of the screen is typical to the Pandora, an unfortunate design flaw and all three of my Pandoras have it... however your issue is most likely the clips on the top of the screen. ensure they are popped in place.
I have just checked and the clips seem to be in place. The top corners (at the screws) of the bezel seem to stick out a bit, but I'm not sure if its supposed to be like that. The screws in those corners are properly tightened and both corners look perfectly symmetrical compared to each other.

EDIT: I loosened the top two screws and tried using the stylus progressively until they came off, sadly to no avail. I recalibrated again with the screws loose, but also no effect.

EDIT2: The area the cursor won't reach at the sides of a screen is a parabola, nearly half a circle which seems to be originating from about the position of the speakers. Maybe that information is of some use?

^ There's no snapping there.  Yes, don't be afraid to gently press it down as there's a piece of adhesive there to glue the screen to the bezel.  But I think yours is missing this piece of adhesive that's probably why the two (bezel and screen) are not sticking together.  I doubt very much this cause the issue (the separating of the bezel and the screen) that you have.....

That picture of the top left of the screen looks different to mine.  Granted, you've unscrewed the screw quite a way which might be why that corner seems higher.  There's a slight upward lick on mine in both top corners, but it's not as pronounced.

Also, I wouldn't expect to see that much of the side lug visible, so it may be that it's not clipped in there properly.

^ There's no snapping there.  Yes, don't be afraid to gently press it down as there's a piece of adhesive there to glue the screen to the bezel.  But I think yours is missing this piece of adhesive that's probably why the two (bezel and screen) are not sticking together.  I doubt very much this cause the issue (the separating of the bezel and the screen) that you have.....
Pressing down indeed didn't solve the issue. I'm glad to know however that the bulging bezel at the bottom isn't an issue. I think i'll leave it that way for now.

That picture of the top left of the screen looks different to mine.  Granted, you've unscrewed the screw quite a way which might be why that corner seems higher.  There's a slight upward lick on mine in both top corners, but it's not as pronounced.

Also, I wouldn't expect to see that much of the side lug visible, so it may be that it's not clipped in there properly.
There's indeed a small upward lick, but it is very slight. I've applied some pressure to the side lugs, but they seem to be clipped in there and they won't budge.

Thanks everybody for all the help so far!

Keep the suggestions coming :)

Totally removing the screws from the screen is 100% safe, you may test that.

Note that when putting them back, don't force. That applies to all screws from the case.

I've got the exact same problem. My Pandora arrived a week ago, so I assume it's a common problem with that batch of Pandoras. I also tried recalibrating several times.

I've got the exact same problem. My Pandora arrived a week ago, so I assume it's a common problem with that batch of Pandoras. I also tried recalibrating several times.
Thanks for your post :) . Have you also tried all of the above suggestions? Any of your experiences with this issue are welcome in this thread. Every bit of info could get us closer to a solution.

Also, which version of the OS are you running? I am currently running: 1.0.8.5 - R1.55 Codename Super Zaxxon (24 Jul 2013 01:09:26 +0200)

I know with only 2 units having the same issue, it's rather early to speak of a pattern, but maybe it's a possibility worth looking into.

I have a bulge at the bottom of the screen too - a gap between the screen and the bezel.

Hmm, haven't seen that before - and all those screens should've been tested on real Pandoras TWICE (once in China, once here from Global Components), so this is pretty weird.

I've just taken the last 8 units I've still got here to test that... and indeed, they all have horrible touchscreen issues :/

I'm trying to find out how THAT could've happened and what to do... this is truly horrible... I'm sorry for that.

Could others who received their 1GHz unit just a while ago check whether this is the case as well?

I'm off having a stroke now...

Hmm, haven't seen that before - and all those screens should've been tested on real Pandoras TWICE (once in China, once here from Global Components), so this is pretty weird.

I've just taken the last 8 units I've still got here to test that... and indeed, they all have horrible touchscreen issues :/

I'm trying to find out how THAT could've happened and what to do... this is truly horrible... I'm sorry for that.

Could others who received their 1GHz unit just a while ago check whether this is the case as well?

I'm off having a stroke now...
Well - apart from the bulge, I'm having to recalibirate my touch screen quite frequently and often find myself having to tap the icons many times before they actually register.

The calibiration starts off okay, but after a while it drifts to the left and the arrow/cursor and the pen are almost half a centimetre apart.

I'll check out what that could be ASAP and will also try to find out whether there's some fix or whether it needs to be replaced completely... fun, with already 50 of those units shipped :(

Back