TOSEC Pandora

already got that for a while..it was in a "MINOR ROMS UPDATE" section of the tosec project o_ :eek:

What is TOSEC?

The Old School Emulation Center (TOSEC) is a website and retrocomputing initiative dedicated to the cataloging and preservation of software, firmware and resources for microcomputers, minicomputers and video game consoles. The main goal of the project is to catalog and audit all possible kinds of software and firmware images for these systems.

As of release 2012-02-29, TOSEC catalogs over 200 unique computing platforms and continues to grow. As of this time the project had identified and cataloged 436,479 different software images/sets, consisting of over 3.28TB of software, firmware and resources.

Yes, but what does this mean for the Pandora? It's not very old, it's not especially closed, there's not really any threat to the information (hardware and software) just disappearing, so why is it being included?

Well if ED's servers and backups suddenly exploded, there would be quite some lost PNDs.. Actually even some bad hacking incident could cause that. I think it's good thing we are being catalogized (various romset collectors will now have backups of our software), especially when we are centralized so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Notaz mentioned basically TOSEC is about preservation of software, the fact that they are cataloguing our PNDs means that you can download the TOSEC verifying tools and "catch 'em all" if you so wish. If you have ever used Good-Tools to verify you ROM dumps... this is the same idea, but they cover Amiga disk dumps and lots of other types of software... and now Pandora software! :)

I wonder if they have any publicly unreleased pandora software and if they did would they keep it unreleased?

also I wonder if they keep archived versions of each software.

Kinda creepy we didn't know till know but in a way it keeps the side of me that thinks a lot of good software will die of obselsnence in check

I wonder if they have extra identifier letters for things like "nplayable", "low", "shitty [T]erminal interface" and "[D]rive-by port"?

D.

Just in case no one cared to download it to see what they have in it. Here is the list of software they documented.

One thing I disagree with is that they labeled all of it as being in the "Public Domain". They should have used the respective license instead.

Forgive the errors in the file it was a quck copy paste.

tosec_pandora_list.txt

Attachments

• tosec_pandora_list.txt
    31.3 KB · Views: 172
Doesn't seem very complete from a quick look.

Do they want to archive every program on the repo?

Maybe milkshake can make a feed for them, that gives out the relevant data, when it is uploaded :)

I wonder if they have extra identifier letters for things like "nplayable", "low", "shitty [T]erminal interface" and "[D]rive-by port"?

D.

[uBI] Unused basic interpreter :D

aww, that was low, sorry man...

Ooooh, you bitchy, bitchy man :D

Besides, there's plenty of users! Well, of the PC version that is...

D.

Back