Release TinyLauncher Run Amiga WHDLoad Games

john4p

Just something from me:

I worked on a way to make playing Amiga games easier using TinyLauncher, WHDLoad and HDFs.

A guide incl. needed files how to do this can be found here:

http://evildragon.op...LoadPandora.zip

And in case you need a preformatted hardfile:

http://evildragon.op...rg/Hardfile.zip

This is not yet thoroughly tested - let me know if it works and if you got ideas to improve it. :)

Thanks for this guide. Always starting up (Classic)Workbench takes quite a while. Your 1GB hdf is definitely sufficient for most stuff.

I've recently bought a WHDLoad-key. Where do I put it here? Just place it in "WHDLoad/s/"?

edit: Nevermind, missed the "OPTIONAL: If you registered WHDLoad (you should do, it's awesome!),

then place your keyfile into the S-directory"-part...

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered myself a WHDload key last night too, hope it's not too long before it gets emailed to me! After that I think I have to work out where to out additional kickstart roms within the Hard file, because some of the games I've downloaded fall over looking for these roms when starting

Do you think people should roll back to an earlier version in the meantime until these issues are ironed out?
There are no changes in handling of configurations and restore of savestates aren't working for everyone. If you don't need savestates, it's better to use to older version. On my pandora, savestates working fine (except the sound issue). So I use the new one.

Just some pointers to the problems I was getting, it may help you.

The save state seemed to save OK, but on loading back UAE4ALL crashed back to Minimenu.

On restarting UAE4ALL after trying to use Save states I would either get the sound issue or

when trying to load an ADF in appeared in every drive allocated, then would not load.

Only solution I found to get it back working was to reinstall UAE4ALL.

Hope this helps.

Did you try it in XFCE ? I don`t have issues with save states in the Full desktop version...

or I could try in minimenu I guess!

See if it`s related to either launcher

CONFIRMED!!

I did the exact same in minimenu as I did in XFCE

My save state crashed back to minimenu!!! but the same state loaded fine in XFCE!!

WHat does that tell us about minimenu?

Got TinyLauncher working - it's pretty awesome. Btw., you don't have to reset the emulator if you want to change to another game: you can also press [R]+Q to exit the current game and return to TinyLauncher (though resetting the emu isn't much slower).

Aah, I got an idea... you need to close the window that shows the status of the copied files in the end. Otherwise it won't update the startup-sequence.
I'll update that. No need to start over though. Just make the hardfile dh1 and the WHDLoad Dir dh0 again and let him recopy. It should skip the games it already copied.
I had the same issue and can confirm that this solution works.

where to put additional kickstart roms within the Hard file, because some of the games I've downloaded fall over looking for these roms when starting
+1

Okay, and how do I put this into Devs:Kickstarts? Because the HDF automatically boots TinyLauncher. Do I have to use a Workbench HDF as DH0: and the Tinylauncher/Games HDF as DH1: to be able to do this?

Okay, and how do I put this into Devs:Kickstarts? Because the HDF automatically boots TinyLauncher. Do I have to use a Workbench HDF as DH0: and the Tinylauncher/Games HDF as DH1: to be able to do this?

I already have a HDF created from Classic WB Lite. I mounted that as dh0:, that already has the kickstarts folder in it with a selection of RTB files. I simply renmed some kickstart files to match the RTB filenames, then coped this directory across to my games.hdf (the one with Tinylauncher). Hopefully this will work!!!

OK, I have started a thread for EDs TinyLauncher

Here is Eds OP.

------------------------

Just something from me:

I worked on a way to make playing Amiga games easier using TinyLauncher, WHDLoad and HDFs.

A guide incl. needed files how to do this can be found here:

http://evildragon.op...LoadPandora.zip

And in case you need a preformatted hardfile:

http://evildragon.op...rg/Hardfile.zip

This is not yet thoroughly tested - let me know if it works and if you got ideas to improve it. :)

------------------------

Here is a link to the WHDLoad Support site - http://www.whdload.de/

It is all in English :)

Get a registration it is well worth the cash and you get everything you need including where to install the Keyfile

in the Amiga Workbench file system.

Can/would a MOD be able to move the posts related to TinyLauncher from this thread into this one - http://boards.openpa...-whdload-games/

Already copied across EDs OP on TinyLauncher to the new thread.

Create Devs/Kickstarts on the WHDLoad directory and let it do the copying ;)

Is there any benefit to HDFs instead of using harddisc-directories? I myself prefer to use directories, because I can easily copy files to and delete from the amiga-"harddisc" with the usual methods (in my case terminal-commands cp/rm)

Downloaded guide. I will try this out when i have some time. Thanks ed, a guide was needed!! for me anyways!! :lol:

Create Devs/Kickstarts on the WHDLoad directory and let it do the copying ;)
This worked - Slam Tilt starts now (still has the score counter bug). Thanks!

Is there any benefit to HDFs instead of using harddisc-directories? I myself prefer to use directories, because I can easily copy files to and delete from the amiga-"harddisc" with the usual methods (in my case terminal-commands cp/rm)
Hd-dirs are more comfortable to use, but TinyLauncher only works with hdfs. And it boots a lot faster than Workbench so it's definitely worth it.

Besides TinyLauncher only running from HDFs, some WHDLoad games also don't work from directories.

Got my tinylauncher and Whdload keyfile installed, seems to work well so far! Got SWOS up and running anyway so it's all good!!

Ok.. set this up.. pretty neat... but when I click on a game.. a second or two later I get ( can`d find file and some Guru message )

it points me to a thread on eab...

any ideas?

Having tried this a bit more, it definitely acts a bit differently to running games through Workbench. The compatability isn't the same(I run my hd games through a directory with Classic WB Lite as a hdf). Some games don't work under tinylauncher that used to in WB. Granted some others work now that didn't work before, but that might be as I've installed additional kick start files and registered my Whdload installatiob(not sure if that affects game compatability, but I thought I'd mention it anyway:)

Also.. If I go to re-copy my games onto the hdf

I get

Scanned 34 dirs File 164

Process backup 27 Skipped 137

weird thing is... I had skipped files the very first time ????

and I`m stll getting the guru meditation about file no found :(

I made a dir on my hdf called Devs and inside that a dir called Kickstarts and put kick130.rom and kick310.rom in there..

still the same

weird thing is... I had skipped files the very first time ????

It skips files that have the Archive flag set. You can unset them using the protect command.

Or add FORCE to the fback command in the startup-sequence of WHDLoad, then it will copy ALL files.

Having tried this a bit more, it definitely acts a bit differently to running games through Workbench. The compatability isn't the same(I run my hd games through a directory with Classic WB Lite as a hdf). Some games don't work under tinylauncher that used to in WB. Granted some others work now that didn't work before, but that might be as I've installed additional kick start files and registered my Whdload installatiob(not sure if that affects game compatability, but I thought I'd mention it anyway:)

Hmm, compatibility should be the same.

However, I made a minimal bootdisk (to not have any copyright infringements).

Maybe some games need a special command / library that isn't there?

Back