Time To Make A Box?

NickLoTurco

Website
www.hitthesport.com
I was quite happy with my Pandora showing up in plain packaging when I thought it would mean quicker shipping times.

Now it's been delayed again would there be time to design and produce some proper packaging?

Some might not think it's that important but there are others who get excited about these kind of things.....

As far as I can recall it wasn't the cost but the timescale which was why the team were reluctant to do this?

well lets see... we would need to do box printing, and because it is not that large of a quantity, I don't think it is worth the time (and money for that small amount) for the first batch

NickLoTurco said:
I was quite happy with my Pandora showing up in plain packaging when I thought it would mean quicker shipping times.

Now it's been delayed again would there be time to design and produce some proper packaging?

Some might not think it's that important but there are others who get excited about these kind of things.....

As far as I can recall it wasn't the cost but the timescale which was why the team were reluctant to do this?
I'm inclined to agree - I saw all the previous debate and agreed at the time with the free FedEx box thing that was mentioned but in all honesty cost would not be that prohibitive. I work in marketing (yes hiss boo) and having worked with bespoke, printed carboard items you can have something produced for maybe £1.50-£2 a box for a one colour print using reasonable card stock and assuming you use an off the shelf design. (A gloss white box with say a Pandora logo in Black with a strapline like "Hope" or something is not expensive as I have worked with much smaller numbers than this (500-1000 units) and pay no more than £3 per box.

Of course the devs probably don't have the margin or time available for this but honestly good quality packaging adds a lot to the experience - its not a necessity but it adds a lot to the overall feel and quality of the product...

This is probably more relevant for the second/retail batch, I suspect that the vast majority of pre-orderers just want their grubby mits on this thing... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as I get my Pandora soon, I am not bothered if it comes in a fancy case or not.

It would be nice if the first batch were properly boxed.

If its not there then a fancy sticker denoting my Pandora was part of the original first batch would be cool.

Failing that I'll accept a lollypop (that was us original GP2X'ers were promised until they ran out)

====
gp32_console + :gp2x + soon ... :pandora1:

http://gp2xwizandpandora.blogspot.com/

Squidge said:
I'm sure it's been said already that the box will be plain to keep costs down.
Makes most sense. As much as I like opening nice 'fancy' boxes, its not worth the extra cost whatsoever. That said, engadget.com unboxing photos will suck slightly lol!

until the pandora goes mainstream, I don't see the point of having a fancy box

Personally, I think they should put it in the free FedEx box with recycled packing material and that's it. Open it up and it should open at the "quick start" manual. It's about time we stopped wasting resources and filling landfills with pretty boxes and polystyrene inserts just so folks have something to go "ooh, that's pretty at" before getting to the good stuff inside. Not to mention 150 page manuals where the first 50 are inane warnings and the last 100 no one ever reads (yes, OK, some folks do - but they can read the pre-installed version).

Alternatively just put it in a brown paper bag made from recycled iPod manuals.

In fact, if you prefer form over function then why the heck are you buying a Pandora? Buy a pretty iPod instead...

Bah humbug!

(flame away)

When my pandora arrives, the box will just be an obstacle between my hands and my new favorite thing. The obstacle in question will be disposed of very quickly, never to be seen again.

So go ahead and package it in dull brown boxes for all I care :)

just to have a white box with a sticker on it would be fine with me,
as long as it gets here, I don't care about the box design

I think they should do whatever is cheapest. - and not budge on it.

I think they should do whatever they decide is best for their business - especially as they are not making any money on the first batch. As long as it is suitably protected for posting I really couldn't care less.

But if the OP devs are reading, I think the special first batch sticker and lollipop are essential... ;)

pandorasloveflaps said:
I work in marketing (yes hiss boo) and having worked with bespoke, printed carboard items you can have something produced for maybe £1.50-£2 a box for a one colour print using reasonable card stock and assuming you use an off the shelf design. (A gloss white box with say a Pandora logo in Black with a strapline like "Hope" or something is not expensive as I have worked with much smaller numbers than this (500-1000 units) and pay no more than £3 per box.
3GBP per box for 4k boxes turns into 12kGBP total, which we don't have. We're already losing money on this batch, so any extras like fancy packaging just put us farther in the hole.

Chip said:
pandorasloveflaps said:
I work in marketing (yes hiss boo) and having worked with bespoke, printed carboard items you can have something produced for maybe £1.50-£2 a box for a one colour print using reasonable card stock and assuming you use an off the shelf design. (A gloss white box with say a Pandora logo in Black with a strapline like "Hope" or something is not expensive as I have worked with much smaller numbers than this (500-1000 units) and pay no more than £3 per box.
3GBP per box for 4k boxes turns into 12kGBP total, which we don't have. We're already losing money on this batch, so any extras like fancy packaging just put us farther in the hole.
MFK once said. the Box will not be a cheap one, maybe he meant the Quality of the Product I hope.
And a Pandora Box has to be Black of course and not white, until we will have a iPandora white edition. :D

White looks ok :D

pandorabox3.jpg

TaG said:
But if the OP devs are reading, I think the special first batch sticker and lollipop are essential... ;)
And if it's one of those funny little Whistlepops, you get bonus points. :p (Hehe, sorry, couldn't resist.)

Anyway, more on-topic, whatever sort of packaging is the most cost-effective for the team is fine with me (and if it's a plain box, yay, I can reuse and recycle it, too :)). I don't personally view the packaging as being part of the experience, myself. I know some do, but I think that using the product is the experience, nothing else. :p

This isn't a product for the average consumer who is attracted to pretty, shiny things.

Keep the cost down. Just ensure my pandora is well protected in it's packaging and I'm happy.

Back