This Must Be A Con, Right? (sony Vaio Laptop)

:lol:

That was one exciting and ridiculous thread.

You couldn't make it up.

So here's what I know so far:

1. People with good feedback are buying these.

2. The Seller has good feedback....but has only sold 1 thing - a cheepish latop the previous week.

3. Seller has had two previous IDs (with business sounding names)

4. Says send paypal money to specteck gmail account.

5. Previous auction had a specteck.co.uk address.

6. Checked out the spectek URL. Seems like a decent guy, but he's 16 (at least at the time of the website). Talks about a computer business that has been going for 2 years.

6. The Guestbook on the website worried me.

7. The location seems to be true? If the website is to be believed.

8. He's selling hundreds of other items.

So, either:

It's an outright con with a hacked account or something.

It's the lad using his mam's account or to swindle loads of people (I'm liking this one)

He's got the stuff, it's a good deal? (the amount makes it seem doubtful, but with bulk comes lower prices).

All in all, I'm thinking con. Gutted if I'm wrong, but will be even more gutted if I was right and lost 500 notes.

The Website appears to be consistant with the ebay ID and webpage info:

Domain name:
spectek.co.uk

Registrant:
Matthew Hewitt

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
62 Birch Lane
brereton
rugeley
rugeley
WS15 1EJ
GB

Registrant's agent:
Heart Internet Ltd [Tag = HEARTINTERNET]
URL: http://www.heartinternet.co.uk

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 05-Sep-2005
Renewal date: 05-Sep-2007

Registration status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
ns.mainnameserver.com
ns2.mainnameserver.com

if something looks too good to be true, it usually is a con ;)... Has £500 PayPal Protection so might be ok (Means he has a VARIFIED PayPal account)???

Angel posted on Mar 24 2006 at 09:50 PM said:
or they're stolen and he's passing along the savings.

I think that this seems the most likely. If they were legit, and he wanted to shift them fast he could still sell then for £1000 each, and get rid of the lot. I think that if he has these laptops they're too hot for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kop_007 posted on Mar 24 2006 at 08:05 PM said:

:eek: Correctamundo according to eBay.

I could smell fish a mile off.

Kop_007 posted on Mar 26 2006 at 01:02 PM said:

How did you officially come to that conclusion?

iignotus posted on Mar 26 2006 at 08:24 PM said:
Kop_007 posted on Mar 26 2006 at 01:02 PM said:

How did you officially come to that conclusion?
Magic, of course ;) .

Our records show that you placed a bid on this item. We removed this item from the Site and cancelled your bid because it appears that the seller's account has been compromised and used by an unauthorized third party. The seller's privileges to trade on eBay may be temporarily suspended while we investigate this matter further. Due to privacy concerns we will not be able to share further details related to this seller.

If someone claiming to be the seller asks you to complete a transaction outside of eBay, we strongly recommend that you ignore the request. Transactions for items listed on eBay that are completed outside of the eBay marketplace are not covered by the Buyer Protection services offered by eBay and can be highly indicative of fraud.

If you have already paid, you may wish to pursue recuperating your funds. Some steps you might take include:

1. Ask the seller for a refund
2. If you paid by check, ask your bank to stop payment
3. If you paid by credit card, contact your credit card company's security department
4. If you have made a payment by money order or wire transfer, you may contact that company for further information at 1-800-325-6000 (Western Union), or at 1-800-926-9400 (Money Gram)
5. If you paid with PayPal, review the Buyer Complaint Process at:

/csg/p?www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/protections-buyer-outside

There are many tips on how to protect yourself with any Internet transaction in the eBay Security Center located at:

www.ebay.co.uk/securitycenter

Our goal is to ensure that your eBay experience is safe so that you can buy confidently. It is rare that something goes wrong with a transaction on eBay, but we're here to help you protect yourself in the event it does. If you have additional questions, please send us an email using the "Contact Us" link found on eBay Help pages. Do not respond to this email, as your reply will not be received.

Regards,
Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc

I put a 99p bid in for one of his other items, thinking, if I lose 99p, what could it hurt?

Then got this.

Oh Oh Oh, It's magic....ooooh Alvin....can you believe it's not so? :lol: :D

I asked the buyer if I could buy and collect. Heard nothing, but then again I didn't write in Chinese....

Kop_007 posted on Mar 26 2006 at 06:02 PM said:

What gave it away, the fact that they were trying to sell it for a third of it's value?

:lol:

lubidog posted on Mar 26 2006 at 10:10 PM said:
I asked the buyer if I could buy and collect. Heard nothing, but then again I didn't write in Chinese....
Very very harsh comment there....

The chinese scammer business, and Nigerian "A mobile phone for my Sister" business is going very nicely on ebay at the moment, so not really harsh.

Sadly.

I just find it offensive since I am chinese myself but agree there are a silly amount of scammers on ebay that are chinese...

Back