Thinking Of Purcahsing A Gp32 Blu

GA01

Website
Visit site
Hi Guys

Noob here so please be kind :). I've been thinking about getting a GP32 BLU (166 MHz) since Mame got ported recently. What I would like to know is how well does Mame GP32 play the old style games at 166 MHz? This would include running games with sound and full speed. I know it's still early days yet but has the GP32 got the potential to run all these games without any problems (at a later date once Mame GP32 has matured).

Thanks

:)

MAME is running great for a first release. Games like Pac-Man, MrDO!, Etc run at full speed w/sound now. This is said to improve even more and if/when DrZ80 ASM core is added expect speed to increase dramatically for many games in future versions. Don't forget about the other emus too. Many of those run great too like DrMD genesis emu, PC-Engine etc.

That is good news, especially for a first release :). If Mame GP32 was to mature (and hopefully will over time), what types of games can we expect to be able to run (given the limitation of the hardware)? Btw, I'm not expecting Neo-Geo, CPS2, etc. Is Bubble Bobble or R-Type 1/2 playable? I love those games.

The Pc-Engine/Turbografx Emulation is what shines the most on the GP32 with Perfect sound and near perfect emulation(some game just dont work right and this is not a GP32 problem because the home computer versions of the Pc-Engine/Turbografx emulators also have problems running those certain games) B)

R-Type on the PC engine is near arcade perfect and runs perfect on the GP32, it is still one of my favorite games. The PC engine has some of the best arcade conversions ever.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

id say about 70% of the MAME compatibility list plays full speed with sound... thats one hell of an achievment...

MAME and DrMD are brilliant... world beating apps... :D :D :D

and make the GP32 the best buy handheld for retro games!

If you are in the US - check out J2swiss ebay deal $199 - but be sure to read up on the compatibility issues associated with the new BLU+

sPaCe :ph34r:

Thanks for the replies guys :). Being in the UK, I'll probably order via www.gbax.com ;). Would a GP32 BLU (166 MHz) have any problems running any of these emulators/games? Has anybody yet played Bubble Bobble in Mame GP32?

GA01 posted on Mar 18 2005 at 08:20 AM said:
Thanks for the replies guys :). Being in the UK, I'll probably order via www.gbax.com ;). Would a GP32 BLU (166 MHz) have any problems running any of these emulators/games? Has anybody yet played Bubble Bobble in Mame GP32?

Keep in mind that CaSTaway (Atari ST) runs 100% with sound. As the ST has many arcade-perfect ports, any games not supported by Mame you'll probably find were released for the ST. In addition CaSTaway supports save states which Mame does not (yet). Also, many SNES, PCEngine and Megadrive ports were very very good.
Basically, just get one. You'll find a perfect or near-perfect version of almost any game if you get all the good emulators and put work into testing different roms.

Last edited by a moderator:
GA01 posted on Mar 18 2005 at 04:20 PM said:

Welcome to Gp32x
I trust you know about the taiwanese screen issue?

~Paul

Nova posted on Mar 18 2005 at 06:56 PM said:
Welcome to Gp32x
I trust you know about the taiwanese screen issue?

~Paul

Is that the line across the top of the screen?

alyinsanfran posted on Mar 18 2005 at 05:38 PM said:

Keep in mind that CaSTaway (Atari ST) runs 100% with sound.

does it?

I cant get games to run that fast?!!!!

what am I doing wrong?

erm and the bubble bobble question...

it is very slow on MAME - but perfect on NES and mastersystem, Gameboy (colour) and PC engine (I think)

spaceboygp32x posted on Mar 18 2005 at 10:13 AM said:
alyinsanfran posted on Mar 18 2005 at 05:38 PM said:

Keep in mind that CaSTaway (Atari ST) runs 100% with sound.

does it?

I cant get games to run that fast?!!!!

what am I doing wrong?

erm and the bubble bobble question...

it is very slow on MAME - but perfect on NES and mastersystem, Gameboy (colour) and PC engine (I think)

Yeah I should have said 'usually' 100% with sound. Like all the others a little frameskip here and there works wonders as well as running your clockspeed as high as possible.
My point though is that being as popular as it was (and 16bit) it's really worth looking for ST ports in addition to MD, SNES etc. It's a shame that Amiga emulation is not really on the cards, as that had some quality ports too. These two machines in many ways represent the 'final installment' of the home micro wars of the 80's, and therefore CaSTaway (in my opinion) should be on everyones smc. ST production and development spanned a lot of years, consequently you can get everything from Invaders to Civilisation. In addition CaSTaway is still being developed and is a real piece of class.
I guess I'm a CaSTaway fanboy... but playing Dungeon Master on a plane? Priceless.

:unsure:. Just been reading the sticky, regarding the new blu screens. Would I be better getting a non blu now? What is a blu+. Basically, I just want a unit that can play the old classics (Mame, Genesis, PC Engine, Gameboy, etc) but not if the screen is faulty (if only minor). I understand that most of the emulator's are not worked on anymore and I haven't got a problem with that, as long as the games play ok in there current state. I just don't want to be in the position of "possibly" receiving one of the faulty units. Please put my mind at rest :unsure:.

Dungeon Master. That brings back many happy memories :D. This console seems ideal for me apart from what I've mentioned above.

GA01 posted on Mar 18 2005 at 11:16 AM said:
:unsure:. Just been reading the sticky, regarding the new blu screens. Would I be better getting a non blu now? What is a blu+. Basically, I just want a unit that can play the old classics (Mame, Genesis, PC Engine, Gameboy, etc) but not if the screen is faulty (if only minor). I understand that most of the emulator's are not worked on anymore and I haven't got a problem with that, as long as the games play ok in there current state. I just don't want to be in the position of "possibly" receiving one of the faulty units. Please put my mind at rest :unsure:.

Go here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=17566
I have a blu+ and Mame (and all others) run sweet.

alyinsanfran posted on Mar 18 2005 at 07:35 PM said:
GA01 posted on Mar 18 2005 at 11:16 AM said:

Go here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=17566
I have a blu+ and Mame (and all others) run sweet.

yep - its not really a fault, its caused by gamepark changing the specification of the machine so that programs need to be written differently - its just a minor problem which mainly effects older applications that havnt been updated!

I chose to get a FLU unit because of this - but others have found that the BLU+ is worth buying regardless of the compatability mainly because the screen is sooo good!

the choice is yours - ebay is always a good stop, uncert BLU+ are going for bout £80 new! but the Clock speed will be pot luck!

here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

Hope this explains it a bit better

Thanks for the link spaceboygp32x :). I guess I would be ordering from www.gbax.com (being in the UK) as they guarantee 166 MHz units. I would like the most powerfull available (and stable), to be able to play the most mame roms (when available).

Thanks also, alyinsanfran :), for the link regarding a poster with a similar issue. I guess as the blu's the latest, then there's more chance of new programming for the blu rather than flu.

What I'm still unsure about is the difference between a blu and blu+. You say that some games would not show the scanline due to a border. Is this because it is running at it's natural resolution and is only noticable when stretched? Is a scanline just a line of pixels across the screen? Sorry for so many questions but I'm trying to learn as much as possible before I part with my £'s (I just need to be sure :) ). Btw, does anybody have a screenshot of this scanline or wouldn't it be noticable?

EDIT: I think I may have answered my own question about the blu and blu+. As www.gbax.com are selling the blu version, does that mean they are using the samsung screens that shouldn't be affected by this line.

Just another quick question. How many emulators are currently being worked on?

It would have been nice to see the GPEngine updated for the blu or does the resolution fit within a border so the scanline problem is only noticable when enlarged.

Back