The Pyra at Gamescom

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
An article on PandoraLive summarizing some of the recent news from the Dragonbox booth at the Gamescom:

promogamescom.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I'm mentioned there, thx! :D Now I'm getting famous, rich...where are the girls already? :rolleyes:

Well, I hope that people still see this just as an rough, unoptimized and unofficial 3D sketch, the whole shoulder button discussion seems to be one of the more sensitive themes, close to the neverending keyboard layout discussion...  :ph34r:

Your article was well written and it was clearly mentioned, yes. But you know "internet people" sometimes do not read that carefully. ;)

And for continuing the work, it does not make much sense until ED releases the Pyra case data. And so or so I guess he will more or less stay with his design, my design example is not even tested in real life sadly. But I see it more as inspiration for optimizing the real shoulder button design. I personaly would still prefer an side-by-side solution like the NeoGeo X Handheld uses.

ED has enough stress at the moment, better not stress him with additional stuff right now. If he sees the renderings and wishes to use it somehow, no problem. May the official case designers use this sketch as inspiration or not. I can give the files if needed but so or so it needs an complete rework to really fit into the Pyra (it does not even fit 100% into the Pandora). ^^" And I don't even ahve a clue if it's really working in reality.

ED has enough stress at the moment, better not stress him with additional stuff right now. If he sees the renderings and wishes to use it somehow, no problem. May the official case designers use this sketch as inspiration or not. I can give the files if needed but so or so it needs an complete rework to really fit into the Pyra (it does not even fit 100% into the Pandora). ^^" And I don't even ahve a clue if it's really working in reality.
Some Pandora members here have access to 3D printers, maybe it's worth talking to them for prototypes then ?

I must say, seeing those photos at Gamescom of the lime prototype's shoulder buttons, I find it harder to imagine what the problems were. There looks like more than enough clearance between the screen and the top shoulder buttons, and enough between them to make them easy to hit individually or together.

Not sure if you want to update your article regarding reicast by the way. New news is very good news. Preedit: I see you've beaten me to it!

Also, while I'm here, 'in real' is odd phrasiology in English (regarding the old Amiga prototype). Normally I'd use 'for real' or 'in reality' (or 'in the flesh' to use another idiom).

Looking at that Reicast video, especially Shenmue (love it), makes me wonder what I should do with my Dreamcast.  I rarely use it because I don't want to kill the drive, but if Pyra can play the games, and is portable as a bonus, I feel my Dreamcast is a bit of a waste.  I won't get rid of it because I had wanted one since shortly after they came out, and only picked mine up in the last few years.

If ED says the the top shoulder button placement isn't too good I think he may be open to some changes.  He probably wants them to be good more than we do. 

'in the flesh'
I like that show. 

Well, i wants to start my Dreamcast Emulation experienc whit the Pyra, seems like i have to by a bigger SD Card befor...

Something like Death or Alive, or Soul Calibur, should look much better on DC than on PSX

Looking at that Reicast video, especially Shenmue (love it), makes me wonder what I should do with my Dreamcast.  I rarely use it because I don't want to kill the drive, but if Pyra can play the games, and is portable as a bonus, I feel my Dreamcast is a bit of a waste.  I won't get rid of it because I had wanted one since shortly after they came out, and only picked mine up in the last few years.
I've got the parts now to do an SD mod to mine, so I can transfer my discs to SD and run them without using the drive, and also transfer them to my Pandora to see how it copes with them.

Looking at that Reicast video, especially Shenmue (love it), makes me wonder what I should do with my Dreamcast. I rarely use it because I don't want to kill the drive, but if Pyra can play the games, and is portable as a bonus, I feel my Dreamcast is a bit of a waste. I won't get rid of it because I had wanted one since shortly after they came out, and only picked mine up in the last few years.
I've got the parts now to do an SD mod to mine, so I can transfer my discs to SD and run them without using the drive, and also transfer them to my Pandora to see how it copes with them.
As I understand it not all games are good with the SD mod.  There was someone who was working on a project to replace the drive.  At the moment I can't recall the details, but I do remember that it was slightly expensive, I think more than 3 times what I paid for my Dreamcast.  The benefit is that you wouldn't need the optical discs and drive after you pull the games off.

Yeah, the SD mod is slow, so games that try to stream a lot off that are likely to hit the buffer(s). Take the card out and put it in your Pyra and it should run those games much better, by the looks of it.

Yeah, the SD mod is slow, so games that try to stream a lot off that are likely to hit the buffer(s). Take the card out and put it in your Pyra and it should run those games much better, by the looks of it.
Yeah, except that emulation is usually not perfect and some games would have bugs, glitches, and so on. Emulation is convenient but does not replace the actual, original hardware. 

I've recently bought a 2TB Seagate Slim USB Hard Drive.  I formated it to ext4, created pandora/apps,menu,desktop,appdata and use it as a huge 2TB SD card via USB without any real SD cards in the slots.  The beauty of the PND system is that the Pandora still recognizes the 2TB Hard Drive as a real SD card and mounts it exactly as an SD card if you create all the above directories.  So what I've been doing lately is glue this 2TB Seagate Sim HDD to the underside of the pandora and use it on the go without worry of ever running out of space.  This makes the pandora a little bulkier but very comfortable, I would say more comfortable, to hold actually as the extra thickness helps grip better :)

Back