The Nubs...

Never mentioned £100,000. could have been dollars.

These were developed from the ground up, not based on any existing parts or designs. They are totally unique.

Let's not also forget that OP lost over 30k to the original manufacturer of the nubs when they went to the wall.

WOW! :pandora2ut4:

How much did it cost (pounds/dollars. Don't care) did it actually cost to develop the Pandora!? :pandora2ut4:

I have never even thought of that before!
That is crazy, it's good that they have done everything so well!

I guess 4000 units (1st batch) at $330 = $1,320,000.00 should cover the initial outlay.

I don't know any more than you guys, but I suspect the costs to date have been far greater than the ~1.3m that came in for pre-orders. We've paid for the production of our Pandoras, but not necessarily the R&D.

I feel.... Bad....
The poor guys have to fit the bill - Mortgaging their own lives (Financially....) for something that COULD maybe go wrong?

That sucks! I'll buy two Pandoras! Yep! I'm doing my part!

kingoddball said:
I guess 4000 units (1st batch) at $330 = $1,320,000.00 should cover the initial outlay.
Err...no. They break even around unit 8000.

Source: Old posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to be a bit off-topic here, but;

roberthoward45 said:
i wish we could help more beside wait and complain
I just got through adding a bunch of new stuff to the USB compatibility list on the wiki (namely, hard disk drives, DVD/CD drives, webcams, and USB joypads/adapters). You could join in with that - it's something to do, and useful for the future.

Prometheus said:
I just got through adding a bunch of new stuff to the USB compatibility list on the wiki (namely, hard disk drives, DVD/CD drives, webcams, and USB joypads/adapters). You could join in with that - it's something to do, and useful for the future.
The list is looking good. I'll test some stuff tomorrow - incidentally, I think the output of dmesg should tell you whether the device is using Full Speed or High Speed.

for example, from my Wi-Fi card:
Code:
[    0.952950] usb 1-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
EHCI is High Speed, OHCI is Low Speed when applied to USB.
If not, surely it would be somewhere in the output of lsusb -v or lsusb -vv, but I don't know how to interpret those.

ED once said on the German boards that he will have -30.000€ when the first batch has shipped.

mali said:
ED once said on the German boards that he will have -30.000€ when the first batch has shipped.

Lets hope thats not true, devs without money can be dangerous ;) . Atleast hope that the next batch will make em rich.
Moar money, moar cookies for the devs = happy and productive devs.

Kramy said:
They break even around unit 8000.

Source: Old posts.
A lot has happened since those old posts. I won't hazard a guess, but I suspect the break-even goalposts have been moved back quite a bit.

intense_mc said:
...cost you £100,000 to develop?!

The nubs were like developing a mini pandora project, they needed their own moulds, own firmware, control chips, test runs, adjustments etc. etc. there was good reason why flat nubs didn't exist until now - it's difficult to develop.

Oddly the moulding for the nubs, which required more advanced machines and work, cost slightly more than the Pandora moulds.

i wish we could help more beside wait and complain

Yeah, we can really enjoy the hell out of our Pandoras when they arrive (in two months) and make all our family and friends enjoy them so much that they want their own, so that:

They don't even break even until number 8000.

.. becomes ancient history, and we've got 200,000 avid users waiting for the next homebrew game. :)

x68000 said:
Let's not also forget that OP lost over 30k to the original manufacturer of the nubs when they went to the wall.
What happened if you don't mind me asking? I kind of trolled the front page for a year before I decided to finally get my pre-order in a month ago and become abit active, so I'm a little ignorant of what's happened exactly up until now.

craigix said:
intense_mc said:

The nubs were like developing a mini pandora project, they needed their own moulds, own firmware, control chips, test runs, adjustments etc. etc. there was good reason why flat nubs didn't exist until now - it's difficult to develop.

Oddly the moulding for the nubs, which required more advanced machines and work, cost slightly more than the Pandora moulds.
It's a good reminder how serious you guys are about getting it right so gives me that bit more respect for the project team - and alleviates the stress of waiting somewhat. Can't wait to feel the quality myself.

craigix said:
intense_mc said:

without sounding patronising.... Fascinating.. really.

i do hope you get time to document this so we can all have a read at some point. i find it quite intriguing

intense_mc said:
x68000 said:
What happened if you don't mind me asking? I kind of trolled the front page for a year before I decided to finally get my pre-order in a month ago and become abit active, so I'm a little ignorant of what's happened exactly up until now.
They ordered off the shelf nubs from a company. These nubs were pretty good. That company stopped making them, or went out of business, or something. Point being that they suddenly were no longer available.
So, after much investigation of other existing nubs and finding nothing suitable, they contracted a company to make them for them. They were paid upfront (because it was a small order (8000 is small, in big business)) and got much of the work done before going out of business. As I recall, they had the moulds and specs, but no nubs were actually done yet. So they contracted another company, paid for the nubs AGAIN (first company going out of business = no refund) and finally got the nubs. I think that company may also have gone out of business, though I might be confused here. At least they finally got what they needed.

WizardStan said:
They ordered off the shelf nubs from a company. These nubs were pretty good. That company stopped making them, or went out of business, or something. Point being that they suddenly were no longer available.
So, after much investigation of other existing nubs and finding nothing suitable, they contracted a company to make them for them. They were paid upfront (because it was a small order (8000 is small, in big business)) and got much of the work done before going out of business. As I recall, they had the moulds and specs, but no nubs were actually done yet. So they contracted another company, paid for the nubs AGAIN (first company going out of business = no refund) and finally got the nubs. I think that company may also have gone out of business, though I might be confused here. At least they finally got what they needed.
Yeesh...thanks for the lovely story :|

Back