The Gp2x Game League

gp2x.info

Still Fresh
Website
www.gp2x.info
We are looking for contestants for the first gp2x gaming league.

The gp2x game league is a friendly gaming competition.
A great way to get to know other games and experience gaming on a whole new level.

Each month a new game will be choosen out of the suggested games by the members.
This game will be played a whole month. During this month the contestants post their
experiences and their scores.

At the end of the year, the one with the highest score wins the gp2x game league.

This competition will start january 2007. You can join here:
http://www.gpark.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636

More info and Faq can be found here:
http://www.gpark.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635

I really would like to join something like this, as it sounds like a lot of fun, but honestly, how do you plan to avoid cheating with this system?

Umm... I scored 298373893938383 in R-Type, does that make me first again? The honor system sounds all well and good, but think about it, we all download roms... how honest could we all be?

Reaper79

Yes, we debated about this. You can't do anything about it.
But where's the fun in cheating? This is a friendly competition without big prices.
There's nothing to gain with cheating, only eternal disgrace from other members...

Other (retro) game contests use screenshots to get some kind of validation.
But that's not really an option for the gp2x.

reaper79 posted on Dec 28 2006 at 02:39 PM said:
I really would like to join something like this, as it sounds like a lot of fun, but honestly, how do you plan to avoid cheating with this system?

Umm... I scored 298373893938383 in R-Type, does that make me first again? The honor system sounds all well and good, but think about it, we all download roms... how honest could we all be?

Reaper79
yeah im worried about cheating too... but I think making a photo of the gp2x running the game is kinda cheat proof though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
gp2x.info posted on Dec 28 2006 at 09:20 AM said:
Yes, we debated about this. You can't do anything about it.
But where's the fun in cheating? This is a friendly competition without big prices.
There's nothing to gain with cheating, only eternal disgrace from other members...

Other (retro) game contests use screenshots to get some kind of validation.
But that's not really an option for the gp2x.
Its a very good option. Run that program that takes screenshots on a certain button press. I used it for the gp2xgamecontest to get screenshots :)

Also, not everyone has the same opinion about roms ( ;) ), does that mean the games in the list would primarely be homebrew, or...?

Its a very good option. Run that program that takes screenshots on a certain button press. I used it for the gp2xgamecontest to get screenshots :)

Do you mean fbGrab? I thought that program could only take a screenshot after a certain time (in seconds)?
Which program do you use? Cause this could be a very good option indeed.

And yes, it's easy to forge screenshots. But it's dumb to not do a competition because someone might cheat, right?

A photo with a digital camera is indeed the best, think we have to vote which option is best.

About homebrew or emulated games, i think it will be a fair mix, depending of what you want. Everyone can
suggest games, the one with the most vote will be played.

Fishbong posted on Dec 28 2006 at 06:20 PM said:
It would be smarter to take a picture of the gp2x with the score on screen than using actual screenshots.

It could as easily be forged by faking a screenshot and displaying it on the gp2x.

Every games has this score count-up so lots of scores aren't possible. The only games which could played are homebrew games with an score check generator or something. Even since I can't code I'm almost sure this thing costs less then 10 minutes to create.

Since there isn't any money to win, I don't think gamers would cheat. Except ofcourse when you are a truly "ass-minded-I-do-not-have-a-life-nerd" :)

A_SN posted on Dec 28 2006 at 07:44 PM said:
It would be smarter to take a picture of the gp2x with the score on screen than using actual screenshots.

It could as easily be forged by faking a screenshot and displaying it on the gp2x.
yeah, but if someone is going to make that much work of it, your never gonna stop him.

All retroleagues use screenhots, I think that's the best way to do this. I'm really curious how PSyMastR made the screenshots (and if it affects the speed of the emulator/game).
I've participated in a c64 league with my gp2x, here you can see how this could work. Within Vice it's possible to make screenshots.

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21748

I ended 9th in the only play-round I entered (Super Pipeline II), and without cheating ;)
Applause please!

aapje89 posted on Dec 28 2006 at 04:17 PM said:
A_SN posted on Dec 28 2006 at 07:44 PM said:

yeah, but if someone is going to make that much work of it, your never gonna stop him.

It's really only one step after taking the screenshot. :)

How about including a photo and perhaps a "savestate"?

I dunno, just random musings. ;)

Hmm..

I could make a custom build of OutCaST that only loads a specific .st or .msa file say (does a checksum on it), and is an compressed executable, and that has a screenshot function, say. None of those steps are too hard, but its a bit overkill I suspect.. but thats an option.

The question then is.. could you get ahold of the emu authors to all do 'tournament builds' of their works?

(the rational being -- known emu version, known rom version, built in screenshot etc.)

jeff

skeezix posted on Dec 30 2006 at 05:19 PM said:
Hmm..

I could make a custom build of OutCaST that only loads a specific .st or .msa file say (does a checksum on it), and is an compressed executable, and that has a screenshot function, say. None of those steps are too hard, but its a bit overkill I suspect.. but thats an option.

The question then is.. could you get ahold of the emu authors to all do 'tournament builds' of their works?

(the rational being -- known emu version, known rom version, built in screenshot etc.)

jeff

That would be great indeed... And could be of good use for the future (not only for this tournament).
We'll have to see if devs are interested.

We still need contestants! The more the better. You don't have to compete the whole year, you can join (and quit) at any time, or just compete in one game.

I've been working on a Dungeon Master gp2x port (just DM, not other games.) Might be too big a game for people to do, and maybe a little awkward. Hmm.

I guess one of the problems is distribution .. ie: Technically you can distribute the emus of course, but requiring everyone to use the same ROM version could be weird since you're needing everyone to go find and fetch it..

Perhaps due to that, stick to safe games, or wink-wink-nod=nod games :p But safe ones woudl be like Vectrex (fully public domain by the copyright holders), or pure abandonware games like commander keen, or ST and Amiga type stuff.. hmm.

Sorry, need coffee and just babbling; grand idea though :)

(I was reading about Civilizatoin games like this the other day; theres a whole slew of game types people do .. Seccession, where one guy plays 10 Civ turns, and then another guy plays the next 10, and another gyu the nret 10, and so on. Or play where you get only 1 city the entire game, or always make war and never peace, or other options. Cool :)

jeff

skeezix posted on Dec 30 2006 at 06:09 PM said:
I've been working on a Dungeon Master gp2x port (just DM, not other games.)

I think that is great news in itself! I must have been only 6 or 7 when I started playing dungeon master on my ST (1986-7?). Still playing it now on OutcaST.. My dad helped me draw out all the level maps on squared paper! I need to track down CSB disk images too. These games were actually very well thought out and the action/strategy were well balanced. Nice one as ever skeezix. I'll donate to that.

Oh yeah, I'm in on a games contest once the games and rules are sorted out! :D Llamatron anyone?

EDIT: Just found this. I didn't realise how much acclaim DM received.

Never really got into DM. but when that's ported it's gonna change for sure :)
I really like OutcaST. One of the best emus available for the gp2x and would be great to have the ability to save a screenshot from within OutcaST.

Even better would be a program that makes a screenshot by pressing a predefined combination of buttons. As Nickspoon states in his crap game competition it's should be rather simple to add SDL_SaveBMP to a program that uses SDL. Isn't Linux multitasking and could a small program, only waiting for the buttons to be pushed, not be working in the background?

Back