The Best Games?

skaboy

Still Fresh
I hope no-one questions the validity of posting this question here, as I believe it is a valid question, worthy of input.

I have Megadrive, MAME, ST and Spectrum emulators on my GP2X and I'm wondering which are considered the best games on each platform. For MAME, I like Bombjack and Galaga at the moment and on the Megadrive, my favourites are currently the Sonic Series. On the ST, I love Dungeon Master, Xenon and Xenon 2 and on the Spectrum, it's Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy.

I'm not asking for ROMS; I'm just interested to hear people's favourite games so that I might try them out.

Thanks in advance.

skaboy posted on Mar 18 2006 at 11:19 AM said:
I hope no-one questions the validity of posting this question here, as I believe it is a valid question, worthy of input.

I have Megadrive, MAME, ST and Spectrum emulators on my GP2X and I'm wondering which are considered the best games on each platform. For MAME, I like Bombjack and Galaga at the moment and on the Megadrive, my favourites are currently the Sonic Series. On the ST, I love Dungeon Master, Xenon and Xenon 2 and on the Spectrum, it's Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy.

I'm not asking for ROMS; I'm just interested to hear people's favourite games so that I might try them out.

Thanks in advance.

for the Mega drive try out [ Gunstar Heroes, Phantasy Star Series, Contra Hard Corps, Pirates Gold ] and for MAME cant ignore classics like [ Pacman, Ms.Pacman, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, Space Invaders ] While your at it pick up the NeoGeo Emu and rock some of those awesome Neogeo games like the [ Metal Slug Series, Sangoku Series, Sonic Wing Series ] but these ar emy personal favorites so YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
For the Mega Drive:

1. Sonic series
2. Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
3. Shining Force 1 & 2
4. Puggsy
5. Gunstar Heroes
6. Ristar
7. Ren & Stimpy - Stimpy's Invention. All other games I forgot ;)

machina2o2 posted on Mar 18 2006 at 04:24 PM said:
Gunstar Heroes
Hah, Mega Turrican pwnz Gunstar Heroes in every respect. Its one of the most beautiful Megadrive games, oh, and the sound... :wub:

Other than that, Battlefrogs, Thunderforce 3/4 and the oh so famous Zero Wing.

You are missing the C64 emulator (I recommend vice). It's an old platform but there are still a lot of games worth playing on it, many of which only require teh stick for playing...

Action Biker. A little too cute for my tastes, but it's a huge fun game that I played to death when I was a kid.

Black Hawk. Don't be put off by the graphics, this is one of the best shoot-em-ups on any platform ever. Shoot everything that isn't a tree, and some of the trees are actually radars in disguise so you may as well shoot them too.

Psi Warrior. From the point of view of playability and atmosphere this game took the C64 to the limits.

Colony. An interesting mix of action and strategy, you play a robot tasked with managing a colony on a hostile planet. It takes a little learning but it's well worth the effort.

Dropzone. Fast paced defender clone with awsome (for C64) graphics.

Batallion Commander. Not for everyone, and you will need a copy of the manual to learn it, but this is one of the most detailed war games I have played on any platform.

Matrix. Anything by Jeff Minter is worth playing ;)

Wiz. Arcade adventure with an interesting spellcasting system. Being able to save snapshots will help with this one.

I could go on all day: Paradroid, Ranarama, Enigma Force, Star Soldier, Tai-Pan etc. :D

Add to C64-

- Revenge of the Mutant Camels (more Minter)
- Rodland (C64 version plays well)
- Ghostbusters (for the intro screen anyway - try pressing space!)

Damn it guys: TURRICAN starts on the C64!! Just try T1 and T2, besides that you'll have to check CREATURES 2, Pirates, Mayhem in Monsterland or Giana Sisters out, too! And don't forget WIZBALL, probably one on the innovatives games of that time.

Fishbong posted on Mar 18 2006 at 05:57 PM said:
machina2o2 posted on Mar 18 2006 at 04:24 PM said:
Gunstar Heroes
Hah, Mega Turrican pwnz Gunstar Heroes in every respect. Its one of the most beautiful Megadrive games, oh, and the sound... :wub:

Other than that, Battlefrogs, Thunderforce 3/4 and the oh so famous Zero Wing.
I've got to try that game out, then. I love Gunstar Heroes and in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with either sound or graphics... :rolleyes:

Well... Games that I play a lot :
Megadrive : Cannon Fodder (the gameplay is awsome with gp2x), pirates (yeah, lots of fun and hours of game), Chaos engine, Revenge of shinobi, splatterhouse 3 (for fun), Zero tolerance, zero Wing (What happen ? Somebody set up us the bomb !)
Mame : Altered Beast, Contra, Gauntlet, Marble madness (great gameplay with the stick but you have to change a bit the sensitivity in controller config), Pacman, paperboy, Pengo, Strider, Tiger road, Toki and Varth (nice shooter).

Talyz posted on Mar 19 2006 at 09:09 AM said:
I've got to try that game out, then. I love Gunstar Heroes and in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with either sound or graphics... :rolleyes:
Don´t get me wrong, Gunstar Heroes is great too and has nice gfx.

For me, Turrican really started on Amiga, but the lack of suitable Amiga Handheld emulation led me to try the console versions. About 2 years ago i gave Turrican a shot on GP32 Frodo, but i didn´t think it was so great...

My fav MegaDrive games

1.The Sonic series
2.The Streets of rage series
3.The Mortal Kombat series
4.Michael Jacksons moon walker
5.The Road rash series
6.Mega Bomber man
7.Clay Fighter
8.Altered Beast

Games are subjective, of course, :) but my personal favourites are:

MAME
Galaga
Neo Turf Masters
Pac Man
Neo Bomberman
Pop 'n' Bounce
Bust a Move / Puzzle Bubble ( 1 and 2 )
Puzzle Du Pon (and "R")
Gradius
Pengo
Metal Slug 1 and 2
Star Force

Megadrive
Aladdin
Psycho Pinball
Mega Bomberman
Hellfire

PC Engine
Galaga 88 (or 90)
Bomberman 93 and 94

SNES
Yoshi's Island (not working yet on Gp2x)
Super Tennis
Tetris Attack
Yoshi's Cookie
Shanghai 2
Williams greatest games
Arkanoid

NES
Spot
Dr Mario
Mappy
MS Pacman
Star Gate

DOS - via emulators
Doom 2 (PrDoom)
Wolfenstein 3D

On the homebrew front:
Sudoku
Bubble Train
Vektar
Tiletail - if they update it to fw 1.4 as the sound ruins the game at the moment. <_<

ScummMV adventure games.

Back