The Adventures Of Kirby

kknd_cf

La vieille dame et les pigeons
Website
Visit site
review0sy.jpg

Introduction

Kirby is the character that like Mario, Sonic and Lara Croft has gained great fame from its strangeness. This is something that Nintendo have thrived from, Kirby has been carried down a long line of games and is probably recognized by most as a character in Super Smash Brothers on the N64 and GC who can suck people in and henceforth inherit their powers. This wasn't an idea created in that game, this idea was put in Kirby's first debut (Well for the Western World) on the NES.

Story

Well basically this asshole called King Dedede Stopped the inhabitants of Dream Land from dreaming. He did this by breaking apart the star rod and giving it to his evil chums.

Game play

The game play is very exciting and very original. All Kirby can do is suck in people and do some really simple attack moves. This is until our pink little marshmallow-like friend has an enemy with a special ability inside him! By pressing down you inherit the enemy's characteristics and you can do amazing things! For example you can become a ball or a UFO, you can blow fire and ice and you can even turn into an invincible rock. There's much more as well! It really is an amazing game. It's easy but you probably won't care because it's so fun.

Another thing about this game is ala Mario Brothers 3 it's enormous! Each level is accessed via platforms, whilst going on different levels various minigames are also available. Some of these are very fun and feel like something out of the game and watch series on GB, GBC and GBA. Some are addictive whereas some are tedious, like all of the game it's all different. New worlds feel fresh and new and the game makes you want to complete it, it's easy enough anyway.

Graphics

The graphics probably do end up using all of the colours in the NES's vast palette. Although the levels are normally quite bland looking and based around one main colour, e.g. cream. I think this is because the game is so huge.

But the sprites...woah. The enemies look cool, they're mainly circular little things which are cute yet must be smashed. And of course the thing for doing this is the well -animated Kirby who looks good in all his various forms. My favourite being the sword, he just looks super cool.

Another thing to point out about the graphics is that simply they're unique. They will look original for years to come. The style mainly focuses around cutesiness, curves and circles. Even the final boss sparkles!

Sound

The sound like the graphics and other ideas of the game is original. The sounds are of course loveable, even though Kirby is cute he's extremely violent. When people get hit they bounce across the screen. The sound effects that accompany this sound great and you get more into the game. It takes a lot to make you feel that you're beating the crap out of a small ball whilst possessing a marshmallow with legs! Yet the game pulls it off.

The music doesn't let the game down luckily, it sounds good and it didn't annoy me with an obvious repeated ness or something along those lines. The music fits the game nicely and the levels already glorified in their curved goodness are finished of nicely with a great NES score!

Final Verdict

This game uses everything to fit together to make an amazing game. In my opinion this is one of the NES legends. It's easily comparable to Super Mario Bros. 3. I feel this due to the length and the original graphics, sound and game play style. It just shows to me that lots of effort was put into this brilliant game :D. Also, check out the animation at the beginning, it's really different and cool for a NES game.

img18tj.jpg
img23je.jpg

img35qm.jpg
img41fo.jpg

img50zl.jpg
img63zn.jpg

img71hz.jpg
img89lj.jpg

How to Play

This game rocks. Hopefully you've decided to play it. Firstly you'll need to download Little John which is an amazing NES emulator. Then you'll need to put this in GPMM and create a folder called "NES". In this folder you will put in the Kirby rom which can be zipped. I can't tell you where to get this from because of board policies but PM'in’ is fun and Google is great!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading my review and I hope you enjoy playing Kirby. Have fun on this brilliant game, like me!

end4fx.jpg

nice review :)
It def is one of THE best nes games, no doubt about that. I just wish it played a bit better in LJ (it runs a bit slow)

I agree with everyone else. Its one hell of a game and for the nes it was ground breaking. Im stuck on it at the boss thats the weird eye thing and you have to keep jumping up the screen cause it makes the clouds disappear.

Nice review. I'm not sure if I'll try Kirby as it doesn't look like my kind of game but I'm much more likely to after reading this.
lol you know when I convinced you with my other review to play Castle of Illusion...
What did you think of it?

Ok Ok I'll try it.

Castle of illusion lives on one of my SMCs even though I haven't played it much yet. It is good though. My Girlfriend has it on her Non Lit GP too.

You'll be asking me to play the Moomin game next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review. I'm not sure if I'll try Kirby as it doesn't look like my kind of game but I'm much more likely to after reading this.
lol you know when I convinced you with my other review to play Castle of Illusion...
What did you think of it?

Ok Ok I'll try it.

Castle of illusion lives on one of my SMCs even though I haven't played it much yet. It is good though. My Girlfriend has it on her Non Lit GP too.

You'll be asking me to play the Moomin game next.
lol I do like slightly more normal games. Meh I think I'll review Contra next :D. Now that's a man's game!!!

hey kknd_cf

So far I've loved Moomin and Castle.. I've already beaten Kirby's adventure
on my PC emu before though..

Anyway if any of you like this game then be sure to try out:
Kirby's Dreamland 2(GB/Super GB)
Kirby's Dreamland 3 (SNES)

the SNES version is AMAZINGLY FUN if you run it on a PC emu and play co-op mode with a friend.

also Kirby's Adventure was rereleased as Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland for the GBA.. it is pretty much the same just with different minigames.

there is also Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (or something like that) for the GBA (I've never played it though..)
and KIrby's Dreamland 1 for GB, This isn't as fun as 2/3/or Adventure because you can't suck enemies powers..

some other kirby games that feature kirby but aren't quite "traditional kirby" games are:
Kirby's Dream Course(SNES) - kinda like mini golf
Kirby's All-Stars(SNES) - A collection off short Kirby games (VERY FUN)
Kirby 64 (N64) - Never Played this one although it is a normal side scrolling kirby.
Kirby's Air Ride(GCN) - a racing game...
Kirby's Pinball Land(GB) - very fun pinball gam,e with a kirby twist

there's probably more that I missed but... whatever...

hey kknd_cf

So far I've loved Moomin and Castle.. I've already beaten Kirby's adventure
on my PC emu before though..

Anyway if any of you like this game then be sure to try out:
Kirby's Dreamland 2(GB/Super GB)
Kirby's Dreamland 3 (SNES)

the SNES version is AMAZINGLY FUN if you run it on a PC emu and play co-op mode with a friend.

also Kirby's Adventure was rereleased as Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland for the GBA.. it is pretty much the same just with different minigames.

there is also Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (or something like that) for the GBA (I've never played it though..)
and KIrby's Dreamland 1 for GB, This isn't as fun as 2/3/or Adventure because you can't suck enemies powers..

some other kirby games that feature kirby but aren't quite "traditional kirby" games are:
Kirby's Dream Course(SNES) - kinda like mini golf
Kirby's All-Stars(SNES) - A collection off short Kirby games (VERY FUN)
Kirby 64 (N64) - Never Played this one although it is a normal side scrolling kirby.
Kirby's Air Ride(GCN) - a racing game...
Kirby's Pinball Land(GB) - very fun pinball gam,e with a kirby twist

there's probably more that I missed but... whatever...
Thanks for that, nice to see another fan. You obviously know a lot more than me about it! :lol:

Kirby is my most played game on my gp32, second to mario. I was abit disapointed with my gp32 at first but these two games made the purchase worthwhile. How I love the NES (even though I only like about 5 games on it lol).

Ah, the Kirby series... i´ve played every one of it, but i gotta say that the newer ones (esp. Nightmare in Dreamland on the GBA) are just remakes of the older ones on NES and GB. Oh, and kirby´s Dream course is also not very good... <_<

Ah, the Kirby series... i´ve played every one of it, but i gotta say that the newer ones (esp. Nightmare in Dreamland on the GBA) are just remakes of the older ones on NES and GB. Oh, and kirby´s Dream course is also not very good... <_<

I liked it. pretty much forggotten how to play it nowadays though... best in 2-player anyway ;)

Like 'Pinkspider' has already said, kirby on the NES does make buying the GP32 worthwhile (putting behind all the other great games that you can get aswell). It's extremely addictive in my opinion and I like the the colours used on the levels (however bright). KIRBY'S GREAT.
Nice review aswell kknd_cf :D

Back