Tablet Recommendation?

Ian J

Advanced Member
Thinking of buying a tablet to take on holiday, anyone got one they'd recommend?

Looking to use it for browsing the net and reading magazines/comics.

Dragonbox Pyra.

Not sure how soon you need it out what sort of browsing you will be doing, so a Pandora with a USB wifi thingy might work. If that isn't good enough I use an e-ink ebook reader from several years ago for a bunch of books, including comics, however mine doesn't have a web browser or wifi. For general use on the go I use a laptop or smartphone.

If none of that is suitable for you without an additional purchase (I try not to buy things unless they will be heavily used), I suggest getting the cheapest one that checks all the boxes for you. Do you have a preferred OS or specs? I vote for buying used, and would suggest an older X series ThinkPad tablet version, as it will give you some flexibility and you can probably get one cheapish.

Yeah, I suspect this isn't the best place to be asking for tablet recommendations ;)

Edit: Although you did actually recommend an (old) tablet in the end, if I'd read that far before replying, rygd!

Thinking of buying a tablet to take on holiday, anyone got one they'd recommend?

I think an Android tablet is the best, it doesn't worth to spends several hundred € for a Pandora or the Pyra.

but all the savings in a non-locked down, don't-pay-for-simple-applications-with-ads-even-if-they're-"free" OS with standard applications...

Honestly if you're only looking for a reading tablet, I'd stick to a cheaper Android or Kindle one and not get too hung up on performance as Tablets are not great devices for anything outside light web-browsing and reading. sure you could drag around Bluetooth keyboard/mice if you need to do something important. However the hassle of carring them around, making sure they're charged you may as well get a netbook at that point. Personally I only really read novels so I'm happy with my e-ink kindle.

We have a kindle but having tried magazines & comics on it the resolution is far too low to make it usable for anything other than books.

Have a Classic Pandora but TBH the browsing even with a swap file is a bit of a pain.

Was thinking of getting a cheap Chinese import from eBay or similar, something that won't have too much "forced" software on it.

We have a kindle but having tried magazines & comics on it the resolution is far too low to make it usable for anything other than books.
Isn't there fairly cheap tablets now that have decent resolution? Honestly personally I've never really done any comparative shopping on Tablets. I just wanted e-ink personally.

I got one of those Lenovo Tablets just for using it as a comic book reader a long time ago and it works well, I even use it for movies on the go and certain games like "Prune", "Monument Valley", etc...
Of course that was before all the shit about Lenovo's spyware came out but I guess those older tablets weren't affected anyway.

What are your preferences regarding size and OS ?
The first thing that came to my mind, when reading the thread title was this thread

What are your preferences regarding size and OS ?
The first thing that came to my mind, when reading the thread title was this thread

Excellent thanks thatgui I remembered reading a thread about a tablet couldn't remember which it was, hopefully Mr_Loon will post here.

OS - Not bothered, would rather it wasn't windows but happy to buy a windows device and install something else.

Size - Not really bothered as long as it's got good feedback for reading comics/magazines.

Nook HD+. They're a bit dated on the CPU, but they have a 9" 1920x1080p gorgeous display, 32GB eMMC, uSD slot and 2GB RAM. It's pretty easy to dump the stock OS (really bad B&N twist on Android) and install Cyanogen - which turns it into a very very nice tablet. Drawback is the proprietary POS charging/sync port and required brand matched charger. They're about $90 on Ebay. I have 4 of these in my household, and they have held up very well so long as they are not sent skittering over a gravel parking lot - screens are not Gorilla Glass.

If budget isn't a concern and you want a big F*ing tablet, the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 is downright amazing.

This is such a tough decision, if Pyra were out I wouldn't even be contemplating this.

If I were in the market for a tablet right now, I'd get a cheap chinese windows 10 with that newer atom Z8... something. 10 inch screen if you'll be reading magazines and comics. There's just so much annoying and wrong about Android IMO even Windows looks good next to it. I love the Samsung Note hardware, but holy crêpe I'd replace the OS with Maemo in a heartbeat.

All the love for those machines aside - I don't see how reading comics on Pandora or Pyra can be a good thing. The format is just not right. 10" Tablet is perfect for magazines/comics.

Back