Switching HDMI inputs = green screen?

Garrett

Advanced Member
Wondering if anyone here knew why this might be happening, I've done a bit of searching & it appears to be a common issue with all kinds of TVs & connected devices (no common fix though)

I've a Satellite receiver, a few consoles, Android Tablet & Media tank connected.. switching from the Sat receiver to any of the other HDMI's is fine, switching back after playing either of the consoles, using the Tablet or Media tank results in the green screen which oddly can't be solved by switching the TV off & on again.. I have to switch the Sat receiver of & on again to fix.

Anyone know how I can solve this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a guess, but...

Sat receivers and Blue Ray players will often poll the HDMI connection for voltage drops. This is part of the DRM feature that will make the screen dim in and out when you try to record a Pay-Per-View or Blue Ray movie to another medium. I can't guarantee this is part of the problem, but seems a likely culprit. A powered HDMI switch might be ticket to keep the green screen from happening.

I've seen a green screen when HDMI is inserted or removed hot. Have you all devices plugged directly in to your TV or are they going via some sort of switch?

Seems a common problem with the handshake, and can be a number of causes.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/info_8041237_causes-green-screen-hdmi.html

From what you've said, I wonder if it is the hot-swapping causing this, and if you powered down completely first, this might resolve it?

If you are seeing the green screen as a result of a syncing problem, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable several times to reattempt the handshake. Some devices will need to be powered down completely before they will make a successful handshake. If the green screen persists, then the problem may be with compatibility. Check device manufacturers for firmware updates that will correct the problem. If there is no firmware updates or the problem persists, then switching from HDMI to component cables will eliminate HDCP and compatibility problems. The quality loss when switching from HDMI to component video is often unnoticeable.
I'd check your products sites for firmware updates, as might be newer versions which improve compatibility with your setup

Back