GP32 Super Monkey Ball

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
I'm toying with the idea of creating a Super Monkey Ball remake using Yeti3D or some other similar 3d engine. The worlds are not that complex (just floors and no walls + hardly any textures), so the framerate should be good.

Only problem would be the physics, but I think that if a portable 3D engine is used, the physics etc could be worked out on a pc and simply recompiled for the gp32 when it all works.

What does everyone think, and would anyone be willing to help out in the coding, level design, gfx, etc?

Doesn't SMB rely on lots of 3D quirks like thin and wide edges, tilting levels, slopes, curves... all the kinds of thing Yeti3D doesn't support? Seems like a very unsuitable game for that engine :( unless you simplified it to a few floors (which you may have implied from your post, I don't know). Still, sounds interesting, partly because the GP32 hasn't got enough tight control games.

Squidge posted on Jul 18 2004 at 09:23 PM said:
I'm toying with the idea of creating a Super Monkey Ball remake using Yeti3D or some other similar 3d engine. The worlds are not that complex (just floors and no walls + hardly any textures), so the framerate should be good.

Only problem would be the physics, but I think that if a portable 3D engine is used, the physics etc could be worked out on a pc and simply recompiled for the gp32 when it all works.

What does everyone think, and would anyone be willing to help out in the coding, level design, gfx, etc?
I think it is a good idea. Since it is out on the GBA I am sure the GP32 could do it no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
w00t!!!! yes, i LOVE that game! the mini games are the best tho! and several (almost all of em on the first one...) only require one controller!!!!mmmm...monkey golf, monkey bolwing, monkey whatnot....weeeeeee :D

hey, if you want a beta tester... ;)

also...couldn't you just use some mode 7 action for this?

That's good news if it ever come to be:D And Mode 7 wouldn't be suitable at all, needs drops etc.

Squidge if you didn't have as much time as you would like, you could release the engine and a level editor for people to make their own levels:)

I really really hate the gba version. Why? The controls!!! These type of games should ONLY be played with an analogue stick. Try the gba version, plays nothing like the gamecube version trust me. If you've only tried the gba version and like it then you'll like the gp32 version. If you've played the gamecube version for more than five seconds then you will probably (70%) hate a gp32 version. I'm not trying to discourage squidge, but I suggest he try out the controls first before concentrating on everything else. Other than that I say go for it :D

If it's to hard to make an remake there is an remake called hamsterball for the PC which i think is open source. Should be port-able

The controls are fine for the GBA version. So the analogues a bit better big deal.

Yuglooc posted on Jul 19 2004 at 10:22 PM said:
If it's to hard to make an remake there is an remake called hamsterball for the PC which i think is open source. Should be port-able
No, Hamsterball is Shareware.

Seijuro posted on Jul 20 2004 at 11:10 AM said:
Yuglooc posted on Jul 19 2004 at 10:22 PM said:
No, Hamsterball is Shareware.
Oh, they went shareware? to bad, they were open before..

I didn't know there were already so many clones of this! Hamster is shareware unfortunately, but I've looked at the screenshots and it seems a decent game to try out anyway. You never know, it may give me some ideas or inspiration.

Mind, Neverball looks good from the screenshots also and comes with complete source code, so I'll have to see how that plays also, and maybe pinch some of the code from it.

Anyone know about other clones?

That's just a clone of Monkey Target, downloading that and Neverball though.

I didn't know there were so many clones either Squidge:D

Monkey Ball is one of my favorite games ever, the second one was nowhere near as good in my opinion though.

Back