Stuck ESC key

Gren

Very Active Member
Website
Visit site
Hi,

I haven't really used my Pyra much since I got it. But I kinda knew that would be the case (no pun intended), and vowed to use it next time I went away somewhere (next weekend).

After spending an hour or so having a play this morning, setting a few things up, I found that my limited use of the keyboard has resulted in the ESCAPE key becoming depressed/stuck.
This is quite disappointing, especially after barely any use, and I'm guessing is a result of the "less-than-ideal" case fitting!

I've tried to take a macro picture of the ESC and Usr1 keys to show the difference - it clearly shows that the ESC is lower on the right than it should be. At first, after the key stuck, the ESC would register constantly. This was a major PITA.
Thankfully, after a bit of manipulating, the key does not constantly register a keypress, but unsurprisingly only needs a feather touch to activate. I couldn't get it out of its depressed state however, and I fear it could register constantly at any point....

I don't really want to take the case apart - I am the very opposite of Mr. DIY - and sending it back to ED for repairs seems like overkill. Maybe when the new cases are ready, he could swap mine for one?
Has anyone else experienced something similar on their Pyra keyboards?

Any thoughts/advice?

Cheers!

Attachments

• Pyra button.jpg
    Pyra button.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 124
Yes, unless there is a problem with the rubber dome below the key, it looks like the key cap's been caught on the surround. A jiggle left and slightly down should fix it, and after doing this a few times as the need arises, the bump should be rounded down, and it'll stop happening.

Oh, sorry about that, looks like I missed that one!
You can also try using a knife and carefully move around the edges of the button. It's most likely a bit too thick paint or some remaining plastic parts that lead to it getting stuck, so it might be fixable without opening the unit.

Back