Streets Of Rage 2 "bugfix"

Alucard

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
This game plays perfect with DrMD except for one little annoying (and very weird) bug: when you do your first hit you magically gain exactly 10 lives - this makes the game too easy. The bug will also occur after you use a continue.

Usually I never use savestates, but in order to solve this problem I made an exception. Right at the beginning of the game I let the first appearing characters beat the crap out of me until I lost all continues. Then I hit just one of the guys once to gain the ten lives. After that I let them beat me up, again, until I had only 3 lives left. During all this I positioned myself in a way that prevented the screen from scrolling to the right - so I'm really still at the beginning. Now I paused the game and saved it. I did this for each of the four main characters on normal and hard difficulty plus Max and Axel on hardest difficulty - so that each of the ten savestate-slots is used.
Now I load a savestate in order to start a game without the feeling to cheat. Since there are no continues it certainly is a challenge...

Because it takes quite some time to do the "bugfix" ;) I described above, I made the savestates available for download HERE!

To use the savestates you just have to unpack them into your /GPMM/DRMD/ - folder and rename your "Streets of Rage 2" - rom to STROFRG2.smd.

Here's a list of the states I saved (you always start with 3 lives, 0 continues and one enemy took a one-hit damage already):

STROFRG2.SV0 -> Play as Axel on HARDEST

STROFRG2.SV1 -> Play as Max on NORMAL
STROFRG2.SV2 -> Play as Axel on NORMAL
STROFRG2.SV3 -> Play as Blaze on NORMAL
STROFRG2.SV4 -> Play as Skate on NORMAL

STROFRG2.SV5 -> Play as Max on HARD
STROFRG2.SV6 -> Play as Axel on HARD
STROFRG2.SV7 -> Play as Blaze on HARD
STROFRG2.SV8 -> Play as Skate on HARD

STROFRG2.SV9 -> Play as Max on HARDEST

~Alucard

Or perhaps you just didn't noticed that bug? I tried two different US-roms and one japanese "Bare Knuckle II" - rom: I've always got the "10 lives - bug"!
(Well, a maximum of 9 lives is displayed - but you have to lose a couple of lives until the 9 decreases to 8...)

How about just stop playing, if you loose a certain number of lives...

It seems a bit too complicated with all that savestates...

Quiest posted on Apr 30 2005 at 04:05 PM said:
How about just stop playing, if you loose a certain number of lives...
That's a possibility - but I find it to complicated to memorize how many lives I've lost plus the lives I found while playing and gained through points (while the lives-counter stays at "9").
And you won't be tempted to cheat if you use the savestates... When you lose too many lives, the "game over" - letters informs you without a doubt that you screwed it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but you need to have in mind which savestate is which game setting.

But well, I think I`m just a too lazy person...

Lol. i dont mind having some extra lives.

But thanks for the hard work u put into it!

That really must have taken ages!

Deleted User posted on Apr 30 2005 at 10:01 PM said:
That really must have taken ages!
It took me years, no - eons! Or...more precisely: one and a half hour! ;)

@Quiest: It should be easy to memorize. States 1-4 for NORMAL difficulty, the next four (5-8) for HARD and the last two (9+0) for HARDEST. And I used the same order as on the character selection screen: MAX, AXEL, BLAZE, SKATE.

Okay, okay - I didn't want someone to feel forced to use my savestates. Thought someone might find it useful, too...

Thank you. That is very useful. I don't play Streets Of Rage 2 because of this bug but now I will. I only ever play as Axel and Blaze with one life on Hardest so I might as well just kill myself using your method as it probably won't take that long. Thanks again and sorry you had to put up with all those complaints when really you were just helping us.

Alucard posted on Apr 30 2005 at 02:26 PM said:
This game plays perfect with DrMD except for one little annoying (and very weird) bug: when you do your first hit you magically gain exactly 10 lives - this makes the game too easy. The bug will also occur after you use a continue.

Usually I never use savestates, but in order to solve this problem I made an exception. Right at the beginning of the game I let the first appearing characters beat the crap out of me until I lost all continues. Then I hit just one of the guys once to gain the ten lives. After that I let them beat me up, again, until I had only 3 lives left. During all this I positioned myself in a way that prevented the screen from scrolling to the right - so I'm really still at the beginning. Now I paused the game and saved it. I did this for each of the four main characters on normal and hard difficulty plus Max and Axel on hardest difficulty - so that each of the ten savestate-slots is used.
Now I load a savestate in order to start a game without the feeling to cheat. Since there are no continues it certainly is a challenge...

Because it takes quite some time to do the "bugfix" ;) I described above, I made the savestates available for download HERE!

To use the savestates you just have to unpack them into your /GPMM/DRMD/ - folder and rename your "Streets of Rage 2" - rom to STROFRG2.smd.

Here's a list of the states I saved (you always start with 3 lives, 0 continues and one enemy took a one-hit damage already):

STROFRG2.SV0 -> Play as Axel on HARDEST

STROFRG2.SV1 -> Play as Max on NORMAL
STROFRG2.SV2 -> Play as Axel on NORMAL
STROFRG2.SV3 -> Play as Blaze on NORMAL
STROFRG2.SV4 -> Play as Skate on NORMAL

STROFRG2.SV5 -> Play as Max on HARD
STROFRG2.SV6 -> Play as Axel on HARD
STROFRG2.SV7 -> Play as Blaze on HARD
STROFRG2.SV8 -> Play as Skate on HARD

STROFRG2.SV9 -> Play as Max on HARDEST

~Alucard

cyclone bug maybe ? what does the rom play like in Gens on the PC?

I noticed this bug too, and I'm pretty sure my dump is fine (actually I know it is, cos I use the same one on neogenesis).

*points*

Look, its Fdave :)

@fdave: Yes, im pretty sure, it's a cyclone bug. On GenS and Kega it doesn't occur.

@Billy Lee: If I could help at least one I'm happy! Pity that I decided to give MAX the one HARDEST slot beside AXEL rather than BLAZE.

Back