Storytime: Forgot my backpack on the train

___

Advanced Member
Holy fuck... Sorry, but I just need to tell someone this story.

Was on my way to work and sat together with some colleagues. Since we were all sitting together with four people, I did something I normally never do: I put my backpack with my laptop and 1ghz Pandora inside in the overhead compartment.

NEVER PUT YOUR STUFF THERE!!!

I should have kept it on my lap like I have been doing for years.

Anyway, we all got out and then I noticed that I had left my stuff on the train! I called the Deutsche Bahn immediately, luckily they were able to recover my backpack.

Losing my Pandora would've been bad enough, but my laptop is my workstation... I've got multiple backups of all my working materials but I wouldn't have been able to buy a laptop/computer that has sufficient specs for my video work in a long time, so losing that would've pretty much ended my career for now.

So yeah, don't be as stupid as me and keep your shit on your body!!!

So yeah, don't be as stupid as me and keep your shit on your body!!!
Sound advice.
I always keep some body contact with my stuff, this is especcially important due to me often carrying around expensive instruments.
Someone I know once lost a 10.000€ violin (she also gave lessons with) in the train, it was possibly stolen by someone nifty and she noticed it was gone when getting out.
It never reappeared and was gone for good.

losing an expensive instrument is an appropriate comparison. But a laptop is at least replacable (eventhough it might become a financial challenge). Losing your violin is a terrible loss and noone will be able to replace the instrument. That puts my story in perspective.

Anyway, I am just really really glad, that the train people were able to recover it and promptly reacted to my call! That was absolutely ace!

lol... don't smear it, just keep it unwiped an noone will know.

So I just picked up my backpack from the trainstation info booth. Everything's good now, but I need a proper whisky now to digest this horrid episode.

Giving it to the ticket counter guys is the only right thing to do. If I found a bag someone left behind I would also try contact the owner if I can (did so once. It was from a guy from my home town.)

You'd say that it's quite a coincidence, but the exact same story happened to me, the only difference being that I didn't forget my backpack.

Yeah I left a bag of DVDs on a train once.. Forgot about it, Lucky I called the next station and they found it for me before the train left again!

I remember when I was young , me and my two friends hopped on the train to go to the pool. One of my friends was standing in the doorway with the door open as the train was moving - you could do that back then. I told him that was a bad idea as a friend of friend had fallen out of a train and was killed. He told me to stop being ridiculous and that couldn't happen. Literally in the next seconds , his (plastic) bag with his swim gear, wallet and train ticket - got sucked out the door mid station . He had to explain to the station master why he didn't have a ticket and then walk half a station to find his bag. Me and my other friend were at the pool for some time before we saw him again.

phew, glad you got your stuff back! and that they didn't nuke it thinking it was a bomb or something :D

Back