Still on 1.60... Missing anything big?

Arkay Firestar

Very Active Member
Hi all,

I've been running 1.6 perfectly well since I got my Pandora, and I've yet to run into any major issues.

I've seen Michael mention in the 1.7 threads that a LOT has changed, but none of the patch notes I've seen look super significant.

I know the risk is usually minimal but I still don't want to flash unless I'll tell the difference.

Can anyone please weigh in?

Posting from my 1ghz, which I love dearly :)

Many new ports from ptitseb and updates for his old ports will maybe not work anymore.

However if your Wifi is fine and all your favourite applications ran...

But you should consider, that updates also close security issues, which you may not notice - but bad people. ;)

I know the risk is usually minimal but I still don't want to flash unless I'll tell the difference.
You don't have to flash.

1.6 should support the upgrade function already.

Under System in the menu there's an "upgrade OS" option which upgrades without a flash.

What risk ? I've flashed my Pandora tons of times, and I have never ever had any single issue. I've seen a PSP brick during flashing, but the Pandora is very solid in that regard. You can go ahead without worrying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not found anything that makes the update worthwhile - even the updated psx emu with DSP support is a marginal performance improvement. The only reason I keep up to date is because I hope that one day the WiFi will be fixed :)

D.

The new firmware as updated libs (you can clearly see that on XFCE desktop, with the updated look), has more fixes everywhere, as fusilli client in the firmware (if you are in C4A gaming), as DSP stuff for PCSX, and will allow you to use latest software on your Pandora.

So unless you don't use your Pandora anymore, you should update.

And even if you don't use your Pandora anymore, you should update, and than go to the repo grab some new stuff, there are plenty.

(and don't listen to grumpy guys that always say that older stuff is better)

I´m also on 1.62 still. No special reason other than laziness. What I am missing is I cant run the Minecraft clone latest version, only an old one works.

Can't say no to ptitSeb. It's been such a long time since I flashed (and I always prefer clean flashes with OS updates so no worries about figuring out the upgrade), so just wondering: I just put the 5 or so files on the base of my first SD card and let it do its think right? The SD card(s) are definitely not wiped by the process?

I don't think there's any software I need to use that doesn't work with 1.6, but it seems like 1.71 may be the last update(?), so I figure one more time isn't too much of a chore.

Thanks!

SDCard will not be touched (only read). If you do a full flash and not an os upgrade, you will have to reconfigure yes.

OS Upgrade is painless (you loose nothing), it's easy to have a current firmware by running it from time to time.

Upgrade was painless. Happy to not have to reset any settings.

Is it just me or is everything a bit snappier? The OS doesn't use the new GPU driver if it's a 1ghz unit, does it? I felt like everything was just more responsive.

Also, Pale Moon is a godsend. Thanks to whoever ported; runs laps around Firefox.

Back