Stepmania On Gp2x??

V3X posted on Oct 21 2005 at 12:47 PM said:
i searched for 'stepmania gp2x' and came up with nothing, so i thought i satrt a topic.

would stepmania be possible on gp2x?? ther is a linux port and the source is only 3mb, but installed would be alot more than that, + song files.

http://www.stepmania.com/stepmania/mediawi...title=Downloads

Stepmania relies on OpenGL, and I'm pretty sure the initial system requirements weigh in far over 200 Mhz just for PC alone.

Besides, how would you plug in the pad, etc, it wouldn't be too interesting. I just dont see it happening.

Pentium II, Pentium III, Celeron, Athlon, or compatible processor, 266MHz minimum (400 MHz recommended)

Video card that supports High Color (16-bit color) and has 16MB video RAM

Definitely would be pushing luck.

Could a new port be done that didn't rely on it? Say, DWI? Possibly, but I dont see stepmania doing it. I think DWI has far lesser requirements.

http://dwi.ddruk.com/

Sadly, this one isn't open source so you're SOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
But lets not forget about pydance. Its not as flashy as stepmaina but it doesn't need opengl or anything beyond SDL and pygame. I think someone is working on a pygame port as we speak so it may not be to long before some one at least atempts to port pydance. The site says it needs a 500mhz computer or better, but I think thats a lie Ill look into it today on my 350 and if I can find a 200 Ill try that too :)

ok thnx for ur replies. :)

as for the controls, befor i use 2 play sm with a ps1 controller, so u could do the same with the gp2x i suppose.

but now i play using keyboard.

also, would it be possible to hack up a pc keyboard and make a custom case so it only has 10 or so buttons, and wire it up to the ext of the gp2x?
coz i play sm usin 'D'F'H'J' as my keys.

V3X posted on Oct 21 2005 at 01:47 PM said:

as for the controls, befor i use 2 play sm with a ps1 controller, so u could do the same with the gp2x i suppose.

also, would it be possible to hack up a pc keyboard and make a custom case so it only has 10 or so buttons, and wire it up to the ext of the gp2x?

Given enough effort, I'd imagine someone could bridge a connection between a PS2 and that one port htat hte GP2X has, or the USB even, but even so, with the requirements of those engines it really just doesn't seem feasible. Besides....

Damnit, I can't find that image... it was one of the photoshop fridays of a kid playing with a ddr pad hooked into his GBA.... too many galleries too little time. I'll never find it.

Ahh the only way to really play stepmani is with a pad. But with the tv and my ps2 to usb adapter it would ROCK. But I would think you would need powered usb for a pad right?

reallynotnick posted on Oct 21 2005 at 07:32 PM said:
Ahh the only way to really play stepmani is with a pad. But with the tv and my ps2 to usb adapter it would ROCK. But I would think you would need powered usb for a pad right?
no its self powered :p

Auritribe posted on Oct 21 2005 at 04:02 PM said:
V3X posted on Oct 21 2005 at 01:47 PM said:

Given enough effort, I'd imagine someone could bridge a connection between a PS2 and that one port htat hte GP2X has, or the USB even, but even so, with the requirements of those engines it really just doesn't seem feasible. Besides....

Damnit, I can't find that image... it was one of the photoshop fridays of a kid playing with a ddr pad hooked into his GBA.... too many galleries too little time. I'll never find it.

There ya go:
Phalex.jpg

Auritribe posted on Oct 21 2005 at 12:56 PM said:
V3X posted on Oct 21 2005 at 12:47 PM said:
i searched for 'stepmania gp2x' and came up with nothing, so i thought i satrt a topic.

would stepmania be possible on gp2x?? ther is a linux port and the source is only 3mb, but installed would be alot more than that, + song files.

http://www.stepmania.com/stepmania/mediawi...title=Downloads

Stepmania relies on OpenGL, and I'm pretty sure the initial system requirements weigh in far over 200 Mhz just for PC alone.

Besides, how would you plug in the pad, etc, it wouldn't be too interesting. I just dont see it happening.

Pentium II, Pentium III, Celeron, Athlon, or compatible processor, 266MHz minimum (400 MHz recommended)

Video card that supports High Color (16-bit color) and has 16MB video RAM

Definitely would be pushing luck.

Could a new port be done that didn't rely on it? Say, DWI? Possibly, but I dont see stepmania doing it. I think DWI has far lesser requirements.

http://dwi.ddruk.com/

Sadly, this one isn't open source so you're SOL.
Planning on starting a port of OpenGL libraries (or at least OpenGL ES). With some luck, it shouldnt be too difficult to port over the source to ES and recompile it for the gp2x in theory at least once the libraries exist. The real problem lies in the question of "will the gp2x be beefy enough"? I honestly couldnt tell you as I havent played this linux version of stepmania, but I'd say that it is likely possible to get it ported. It would likely take a good bit of work, but possible yes. Possible to port it at a playable speed? thats another question entirely, which depends on many factors.

Long story short? yes, it probably is POSSIBLE. At the moment, I would say that you probably cant expect a port of it soon, and cant expect a port to ever be 100% speed-wise (although it might be possible one day, I really dont know), so I'd say try to wait patiently. If the porting of OpenGL ES goes smoothly, it might be worth a dev's time to at least look into how possible it would be to ever run at or close to a decent (playable) speed

As a DDR clone ran on a TI84, I think getting *something* running on GP2X is well within the realm of possibility.

Back