Beta Stella - Atari 2600 *beta* In Pnd

streak

Website
www.openpandora.pl
Whats this:

Stella is a multi-platform Atari 2600 VCS emulator released under the GNU General Public License (GPL). Stella was originally developed for Linux by Bradford W. Mott, and is currently maintained by Stephen Anthony. Since its original release several people have joined the development team to port Stella to other operating systems such as AcornOS, AmigaOS, DOS, FreeBSD, IRIX, Linux, OS/2, MacOS, Unix, and Windows. The development team is working hard to perfect the emulator and we hope you enjoy our effort.

Screen:

Mac_keystone.png

Download: 4th Floor Development [Link for stella on FB wall ] [ IN *.PND Format ]
Twitter: 4th Floor Development [Twitter]

Doh ;) I released a simple port ages ago; zx-81 did his usual port magic. I could swear there was another as well :)

Maybe none of themmade it to repo?

If not, get this sucker up there :) but I think zx's made it?

Then again I think someone pissed zx off..

Jeffphonetired

skeezix said:
Doh ;) I released a simple port ages ago; zx-81 did his usual port magic. I could swear there was another as well :)

Maybe none of themmade it to repo?

If not, get this sucker up there :) but I think zx's made it?

Then again I think someone pissed zx off..

Jeffphonetired

This one is from SVN so it's the "latest-latest" :) . I think that ZX port was from last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a straight compilation several months ago too, but never continued to keep it up to date. That version back then didn't run pal-games. It's nice to have the latest version. Hopefully it plays all versions nicely (pal/ntsc). Will try soon.

Few things I noticed:

- PAL-games don't run. It's the same issue that I stumbled upon before. This I think is related to the different resolution pal-games use and stella failing to set up the right fullscreen-mode. This error-message is printed: "stella: src/common/Array.hxx:113: T& Common::Array<T>::eek:perator[](int) [with T = FrameBuffer::VideoMode]: Assertion `idx >= 0 && idx < _size' failed."

- Not everyone might like the notify-send-popup when the pnd launches or ends. It's somewhat charming, but unnecessary. ;)
- Not really important but: You could name the pnd-id just "stella" and not "stella-app", but that's a bit picky to mention. Or is that ID already taken?

- The emulator accesses the homedirectory of the user, but better should write/read configurationfiles to/from the appdata-folder. Not sure what's the cleanest way to solve this. Either you could set "HOME=." in the run-script or use "stella -cfgdir" to change that.

from /tmp/pndrun_stella-app.out:

Code:
Base directory:       '/home/lomaxx/.stella/'
Configuration file:   '/home/lomaxx/.stella/stellarc'
User game properties: '/home/lomaxx/.stella/stella.pro'

-> All my ported apps have [appname]-app directory, so it stays with stella -> stella-app. I like it clean, in this way.

-> I didnt set the appfolder -> home folder because i've had a lot of problems with my previous [unreleased] ports like OpenCubicPlayer. Some apps just dont like "fake" home folder. I keep adding this way into stella. If stella dont mind to use fake dir , i'll add a line to the script.

Ok. If you experienced problems before, then better try the "stella -cfgdir"-version.

Pull existing pnds and check their startup scripts :)

Pretty sure in my build I just set homedir and some config options to make it write to appdata, but not extensively tested I bet.

Thanks for the porting madness lately :)

jeff

Thanks for all your porting works...but please upload the PNDs also on the repo or ED's archive ...don't like to download thru a FB page :) Thanks

Ok, I added this version to the emulator list:
http://pandorawiki.org/Emulator_list
(a long-overdue update... I stopped updating on July 2nd after some other things came up, but I think I'll be able to keep up to date like before now)

There were in fact three versions released previously. What is the version number of the Stella that was ported this time?

Back