Static Compilation ... Is It Still Done On The Gph Devices...

joyrider

Website
www.willemssoft.be
Okay let me explain,

I didn't do anything anymore on gph related console's since the gp2x f100, at that time i used to compile my games staticly, for the simple reason that i used other and diffrent configured libs. I had some issues playing mod files at that time so the only reasonable thing i could see was to compile staticly, since otherwise it would dynamicly load the libraries on the gp2x itselve.

I recently ordered a canoo and am wondering now if people still do this (for wiz or canoo). Or have things gotten better with the supplied libs on the wiz / canoo?

Because for instance, i noticed people were having troubles getting ogg to play with sdl_mixer in another thread so the libs might have to be recompiled if it's a problem with the toolchain, or if the supplied libs on the device doesn't support this, one has to compile staticly again, or are there other options around ? Because i think it won't be easy to get them to ship the newer devices with updated libs...

Any thoughts on it ?

joyrider said:
Okay let me explain,

I didn't do anything anymore on gph related console's since the gp2x f100, at that time i used to compile my games staticly, for the simple reason that i used other and diffrent configured libs. I had some issues playing mod files at that time so the only reasonable thing i could see was to compile staticly, since otherwise it would dynamicly load the libraries on the gp2x itselve.

I recently ordered a canoo and am wondering now if people still do this (for wiz or canoo). Or have things gotten better with the supplied libs on the wiz / canoo?

Because for instance, i noticed people were having troubles getting ogg to play with sdl_mixer in another thread so the libs might have to be recompiled if it's a problem with the toolchain, or if the supplied libs on the device doesn't support this, one has to compile staticly again, or are there other options around ? Because i think it won't be easy to get them to ship the newer devices with updated libs...

Any thoughts on it ?

since the wiz most apps have been linked dynamically. You can put libs in the working directory and they should be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
since the wiz most apps have been linked dynamicly. You can put libs in the working directory and they should be used.

you mean dynamicly right ? and just include other configured libs in the same dir as the executable ?

joyrider said:
Pickle said:
since the wiz most apps have been linked dynamicly. You can put libs in the working directory and they should be used.

you mean dynamicly right ? and just include other configured libs in the same dir as the executable ?

sorry yeah thats what i meant, and yes try putting the custom libs with the exe

There is nothing stopping you from linking statically though, I still do it for PicoDrive as it performs better when statically linked (probably because the code just gets ordered differently and results in less cache misses because of luck).

notaz said:
There is nothing stopping you from linking statically though, I still do it for PicoDrive as it performs better when statically linked (probably because the code just gets ordered differently and results in less cache misses because of luck).

yeah, it seems the easiest to do though, although i did not know it could affect performance. But i just thought many people / dev's had problems with static linking, maybe i just had it all wrong then

Back