Starfighter 3000

jjplano

Still Fresh
hi guys

im javier, im from Argentina (this presentation is so you can understand what im trying to say on my writing)

im new here, i purchased a F200 a couple of weeks ago

i had study some computer science like 7 or 8 years ago, but i dropped that and never programmed again, and i got a little enthusiasthic about this, perhapps i could start again!

but no, im not really getting this, dont have the time or the energy to get envolved again :(

i always wanted to play this game again, specially on a portable device like this (i think is perfect, its like a flight simulator but really simple and fun, and has the "technology" of descent, doom and games of that time )

so im doing my homework and trying to get the source code of the game

i dont know if anyone know this game, it was on PC, playstation, saturn, etc

bridges.jpe
skyhigh.jpe

missilestrike.gif
multimissile.gif
spaceattack.gif

but the problem is, im trying to contact a guy who is still involved with this, but he is working on the original version, wich is on RISC OS (?) (the images are from that version)

i dont know about that, and i really dont know if some of you can make the code to compile on windows/linux because of the language (dont know wich either, but i think i read it was BASIC, not sure)

i told him if he can get the DOS version of the code, since the game can be downloaded for free as abandonware here

this is an image of that version

457713.png

(it has "the fog" so the distant objects doesnt need to be formed on screen till you reach near)

but i guess thats gonna be harder, the original company not longer exists (i cant even make it work :( . damn xp <_< )

any of you know about RISC OS? and perhapps want to get involved on something like this if i get the source code?

thanks

you can download it from that link

but i cant get it to work, not even on dosbox

the instalation start, but when its supposed to start copy the files, it exits to prompt

the original game was writed on "ARM assembly language"

i just found a demo that works on dosbox!!

its on a russian site

http://www.ag.ru/files/demos/starfighter_3000/3623/agb

its the link that says "Нажмите здесь, чтобы скачать файл" on the center box thats on the middle of the page (it says "vip" beneath)

it has two missions with sound, day and night

just if someone who doesnt know it wants to see whats like

i always found really amazing how well the flying feeling its accomplished on this game, althought its no realistic at all (?)

but once you get used to drive the ship around it gets really fun

hope i can get the source code

Some early 3D stuff is great. That game looks awesome. I can see why you want to port it. B)

If the original game was written in ARM ASM then that is definitely the source code you want to get. If you can't then MAYBE it's possible for someone to executable port it, depending on how much it relies on the hardware or OS and how complicated those things are. It'd be very difficult though.

Parkydr said:
I'm still playing the original on my Archimedes (A3000) :)
lucky you!! you recognize that a game is good when you immediately notice that the graphics can look outdated, but playability doesnt get old never

im trying to get the full DOS game at least

kevcal, the demo runs perfectly on dosbox and it gives you the full experience of playing the game, give it a try

i love when you get on crossfire with the others ships in middle air

and the fact that you can destroy everything thats on the screen! (yes, even the mountains)

i repeat, its no really a simulator, as you have 3 lives and you collect colored cristals that are floating on air in the place when you just blowed up a building, along with the missions you have to accomplish

the mix is what makes it so fun to play

Last edited by a moderator:
i keep waiting for a response

hope that guy answer me something

there is a company that is the distributor for the game on the risc os, im gonna email them

but i doubt they gonna share the source code

its a pity, i think the game is fantastic for the gp2x

jjplano said:
i just found a demo that works on dosbox!!
its on a russian site http://www.ag.ru/files/demos/starfighter_3000/3623/agb
its the link that says "Нажмите здесь, чтобы скачать файл" on the center box thats on the middle of the page (it says "vip" beneath) it has two missions with sound, day and night

I gave up trying to understand russian - couldn't figure out the link :(

EDIT - ah - there was a very long timeout before the link appeared ... ;) downloading now.

I remember that game from the 3DO. That is where i first played it. This probably explains some of why it uses ARM code, the 3DO was ARM based.

The 3DO was a step up from the Archimedes version as all 3D objects were textured, and you could actually deform the mountains and terrain by blasting it.

no reply at all so far

people is so rude :(

i would at least say "emmm no" and "na-na-na-na-na" or something :p

DaveC said:
I remember that game from the 3DO. That is where i first played it. This probably explains some of why it uses ARM code, the 3DO was ARM based.
Oh cool, we can just wait for that 3DO emulator then to play it: ;)

Well if you can get source code of some kind (preferably 3do) somebody here might have some free time to spend on it...that's all I can say.

Hello,

I'm just some random person (found this forum on Google), but I have the original PC CDROM. If you want me to .iso it and upload it to rapidshare or something like that, it's no problem. Works fine for me under Dosemu (freedos). Haven't tried DosBox with it yet.

hi luinfana!!!

i would really appreciate if you can do that, because i cant get a copy of the game anywere :(

i give up on trying to get the source code

im trying to download a sega saturn iso version of the game from emule, but i think it has downloaded half of it in a month or so (only one source available, the curse of the emule)

im sending you a pm or email right now

thanks for sharing!

Back