SSHFS help

Swordfish II

Advanced Member
Hey all,

I have setup an ssh file server on a pi and it has come in pretty handy serving videos to a kodi box on my network and transferring files to and from the Pandora inside and outside my network via filezilla and gigolo.

These are all good, but I am having some issues with using sshfs to mount so I can stream videos on the Pandora instead of simply download them.

Basically I can mount with:
sshfs pi@192.168.1.13:/media/pi/Elements /media/mmcblk1p1/Pi

It mounts and I can browse all files with thunar, no problem.

However, once I browse to the mount point in Panplayer2 I can only see videos in the root of /media/pi/Elements. Panplayer2 does not see the folders or sub folders at all. Ideas?

Last edited:
do you mount it as root? Maybe it is a permission problem, as root on the PI try chmod -R a+r * from the mountpoint onwards. This will give read permissions to all files, do the same for all directories, they need rx.

It's odd that Thunar seems to be able to browse inside folders and see the files. A thunar instance should have the same user as a panplayer instance, provided you launched them both without entering a password.

It's odd that Thunar seems to be able to browse inside folders and see the files. A thunar instance should have the same user as a panplayer instance, provided you launched them both without entering a password.

Yep strange to me too. The only password entered is the pi login. I also tried sudo sshfs... It mounts but I cannot see the local mount point at all in thunar or Panplayer2.
[doublepost=1487517603,1487516907][/doublepost]
Try this option when mounting :
-o allow_other

I get an error saying it has to be set in /etc/fuse.Conf but that file is blank.

I may try addgroup <username> fuse
[doublepost=1487519142][/doublepost]No results with addgroup
[doublepost=1487519752][/doublepost]Added to fuse.conf still doesn't work.

Really strange that thunar sees all files but panplayer2 doesn't

Strace would help here, I don't know if it's included in Zaxxon.
Mount the pnd, strace the executable, and browse.

Strace would help here, I don't know if it's included in Zaxxon.
Mount the pnd, strace the executable, and browse.

I'll give it a shot later. At this point I believe the issue lies with panplayer2

(Maybe permissions are different for zaxxon/stuff on the nand as gigolo, sshfs, and thunar are all on nand... But eliminating that argument filezilla is a pnd and sees all files and transfers work fine. I also don't think it is server side since there is only an issue with panplayer2)

Last edited:
Anyway, you can probably mount the pnd and launch the file with a command line.

can you make an empty local directory, and symlink a few files from the sshmount... THEN try to access those symlinks in panplayer...

can you make an empty local directory, and symlink a few files from the sshmount... THEN try to access those symlinks in panplayer...

That would be a lot of symlinks with 1TB of videos, mostly in seperate folders. I may try file association since thunar can access them.

Wahoo!

Did not figure out what the deal with panplayer2 was, but I did figure out how to associate video files... So I took up some nand space and did it.

Gigolo mounts can now be opened directly and stream pretty nicely all be it in windowed form, best with an external WiFi dongle. Still need to test the video out with it though.

Last edited:
Maybe @Pickle could help with the original gmenu/picklelauncher issue.

Probably. When I mounted the pnd to extract the bin and libs I saw a line regarding permissions which is likely all that needs tweaking.

I am happy with this solution if/until the launcher is tweaked

Back