Spam Reduction

crow_riot

In the last days, spam seems to get out of control. Is there something that can be done about that? I was regularly reporting spam posts when i found them, but now as it's even too much to even report it.

i once wanted to suggest to give me the rights to delete posts, but i think that would require moderator status?
Well, i dont want to be moderator, because there's much more involved for what I dont have the time - but i'm visiting gp32x on an almost daily basis and could delete spam posts.

crow_riot said:
In the last days, spam seems to get out of control. Is there something that can be done about that? I was regularly reporting spam posts when i found them, but now as it's even too much to even report it.

i once wanted to suggest to give me the rights to delete posts, but i think that would require moderator status?
Well, i dont want to be moderator, because there's much more involved for what I dont have the time - but i'm visiting gp32x on an almost daily basis and could delete spam posts.
I suggested the same thing when I reported some spam, I'm on here every day and would gladly go around and delete this crap. But I think you're right, you have to have mod status to be able to delete anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if it would be possible to put spam posts in a temporary buffer somewhere. This way anyone can delete the post temporarily then a mod can decide to permanently delete it or restore it.

Yoshi Dragon said:
This user for instance, spams since 3 days (>50 posts per day) without being stopped !
It hasn't been 3 days, it's been 168 posts in about 12 hours. Usually I get them pretty quick but I have to sleep sometime, and I didn't log back into the board as soon as I woke up today as I normally do on weekdays. I'm taking care of it now.

edit: ok, so it has been days. I don't visit the GP2x section, least of all that need help forum down at the bottom. I've cleaned it up now.

WizardStan said:
Yoshi Dragon said:
This user for instance, spams since 3 days (>50 posts per day) without being stopped !
It hasn't been 3 days, it's been 168 posts in about 12 hours. Usually I get them pretty quick but I have to sleep sometime, and I didn't log back into the board as soon as I woke up today as I normally do on weekdays. I'm taking care of it now.

edit: ok, so it has been days. I don't visit the GP2x section, least of all that need help forum down at the bottom. I've cleaned it up now.
Thanks for your work. I don't want to steal your deserved sleeping time. More mods could probably help you to keep this place clean.

Maybe the boards should switch to manual new user approval or something until forum software is made more automatic spambot resistant.

I visit here about every second day, and clean up any spam that I find. The recent onslaught was mind boggling though. We need the following:

- New user approval (short term solution, should be implemented immediately)
- Bot proof registration (eg. answer a simple riddle)
- One more mod; someone who spends most of their time in the Caanoo section.

We're discussing this in the mod forum, stay tuned.

Yes, it seems pretty easy for bots to register here, and even if I really hate captchas & co. someting like this should be included here for the registration process, same for the official Pandora forum.

I've been keeping on top of the spam as best I can lately. A lot slipped through yesterday because I was away from my computer for many hours and then I went to sleep.
Thanks to everyone that flags the spam, but can I ask that people not respond to it? Funny pictures and quips are amusing but it takes several seconds longer and breaks my flow when there's a reply to the spam as opposed to just the lone post to be removed. Thanks!

Gruso said:
I visit here about every second day, and clean up any spam that I find. The recent onslaught was mind boggling though. We need the following:

- New user approval (short term solution, should be implemented immediately)
- Bot proof registration (eg. answer a simple riddle)
- One more mod; someone who spends most of their time in the Caanoo section.

We're discussing this in the mod forum, stay tuned.
What happened with these ideas? Anything decided upon?
Also, can mods clean up the front page or is that something only ED can do?

Oh hey, they do. Hadn't noticed. I'll see what I can figure out about those in due time.

Back