Sometimes weird colours on screen

fayer3

Still Fresh
Sometimes when opening my Pandora I get these weird purple, green colours on screen.
When moving the lid they disappear, so it may be something with the LCD cable?
Any advice?
DSC_0110.JPG

Purple screen of death. Stop open/closing the lid so much.

Gently wiggle the lid back-and-forth a little (opened, in the axis like trying to rotate the screen so the backside is visible while normally holding, like these transformer laptops), and gently press on the frame, under the bottom left corner, while firmly holding the back of the lid. That should bring her back up. If not, the damage is permanent, and the cable needs to be replaced (rupture will eventually permanent lose contact. The plastic in the cable is still ok, but the copper? conductive material has a small rupture, enough to make the screen erratic, not enough to kill the screen altogether).

Also do not use in that state, it is bad for your eyes (can induce vomit and headache)

Last edited:
@ZXDunny the screen is not "calm and static", it actually changes each frame, thus your eyes tire fast. Thus the colors change faster than the infamous seizure inducing Pokemon chapter.
Even each scanline is not getting to the same place each time.
Stupid mines was acceptable to run in such a state.

Mine only moved significantly when I moved the lid, and didn't seem to be bright enough to cause headaches, but then I'm not one that's affected by flashing lights like the pokemon chapter, so I can't be sure. But still, it looked to me like quite a subtle change you had to pay attention to at least at first.

So it's definitely a dying cable?
Seems like I have to prepare to get a new one.

FWIW, I'd recommend RMAing it over ordering a fresh cable. It was replacing a cable in mine that finally caused a fault in my LCD socket that caused a system short circuit. I managed to replace it twice before on the third try, even the power light wouldn't come on. New cables should be a lot more durable than those I had to replace, but getting it to sit properly in that socket is more than a little tricky due to the tight spaces.

Back