Some asorted small proposals for the next SuperZaxxon

vinipsmaker

Website
vinipsmaker.github.io
  • Default value for EDITOR env variable should be something more user-friendly like nano.
    If the user is advanced enough to use vi, he can change the variable later
[*]Replace xchat and use hexchat.
  • xchat is a piece of unmaintained software. I discovered hexchat while I was trying to report a bug for xchat and I realized that were patches fixing my bug on the xchat bug tracker, but nobody to release a new version. Hexchat is sort of the "official fork" where current development is going on.
[*]Pandora + Q = force quit current application?
[*]export LANG=en_US.utf8
  • This locale is already shipped under Pandora and is really annoying trying to reading/insert some symbols under the terminal. I tested the "new" locale and problem disappears (still trying to figure out what is wrong with file manager, but I'll come to this later).
  • In fact, I know no reason why unicode is not the default

• xchat is a piece of unmaintained software. I discovered hexchat while I was trying to report a bug for xchat and I realized that were patches fixing my bug on the xchat bug tracker, but nobody to release a new version. Hexchat is sort of the "official fork" where current development is going on.
xchat isn't embedded in SuperZaxxon, it's a PND
  • Pandora + Q = force quit current application?
I believe this is not possible because the Pandora key is not a modifier key (Shift, Ctrl, and Alt).

xchat isn't embedded in SuperZaxxon, it's a PND

Actually it is on the firmware by default.. I double checked.

There is a PND as well, which is a tad odd..

Last edited by a moderator:
  • export LANG=en_US.utf8
    This locale is already shipped under Pandora and is really annoying trying to reading/insert some symbols under the terminal. I tested the "new" locale and problem disappears (still trying to figure out what is wrong with file manager, but I'll come to this later).
I use french locale, I'd like to have the choice of locale on my side, I see no point in forcing it.

^ Xchat is still the current default Pandora solution as it's on the firmware.. is it necessary to remove it from the wiki?

However there is a version of Hexchat in the repo..

Last edited by a moderator:
I would really like to see a more inviting background... the default leaves me cold.

But don't we all just change it first thing anyway?

... The default should be sexy enough to make it challenging to replace it with something better.

Right now, almost any image is better than default.

I could have a go at a nice background -  any suggestions?

(perhaps start a new thread)

I would really like to see a more inviting background... the default leaves me cold.

But don't we all just change it first thing anyway?

... The default should be sexy enough to make it challenging to replace it with something better.

Right now, almost any image is better than default.
What about a background competition to the new firmware? The Inkscape guys create such competitions to choose the splash screen of new releases.

• export LANG=en_US.utf8
    This locale is already shipped under Pandora and is really annoying trying to reading/insert some symbols under the terminal. I tested the "new" locale and problem disappears (still trying to figure out what is wrong with file manager, but I'll come to this later).
I use french locale, I'd like to have the choice of locale on my side, I see no point in forcing it.
Internal NAND is 500MB only and is not a good idea to ship every locale with Pandora. We don't do it even on desktop.

Also, locale is not enough to have a fully localized system (you need to ship the extra packages for the language of choice, if the software ships them outside of the binary). Let's not forget about the dicts and so on.

The point is not to add a new locale, but to use unicode by default. You could change it later if you care.

export LANG=en_US.utf8

To keep you guys informed, I've sent a pull request to solve the locale issue.

I'll try to solve the other issues later, but considering the documentation available for the angstrom distro, it wouldn't be surprising if I take a long time to solve the issues.
You want this line (EXPORT=blah blah) by default in the default .bashrc, is that what you are asking?

export LANG=en_US.utf8

To keep you guys informed, I've sent a pull request to solve the locale issue.

I'll try to solve the other issues later, but considering the documentation available for the angstrom distro, it wouldn't be surprising if I take a long time to solve the issues.
You want this line (EXPORT=blah blah) by default in the default .bashrc, is that what you are asking?
.bashrc is not enough. It must be done at system bootup, then every app will use unicode. Unfortunately, the not so good documented Angstrom distro doesn't seem to have a default way of setting system-wide locale.

.bashrc is used for user-specific locales. You could use en_US.utf8 at bootup to force Unicode and every user would have its own locale settings (portuguese, spanish, ...), but every app will understand Unicode.

Back