So Do I Still Need An Sd Card Reader?

Haze

Still Fresh
I bought myself a GP2x back in July but had to send it back for various reasons. Well now i have myself a bight new shiny imacand a new GP2X is top of my list of things to buy next.

But I have one question, when I go ahead and buy myself a new GP2X power pack from GP2X.co.uk (which will hopefully feature the latest firmware) do I still need to buy myself an SD card reader to get the most out of it or have recent fimware updates finally fixed the GP2Xs USB problems?

I would get one so you can modify your SD card on systems without an SD slot. This also means that you don't need to run the GP2X while doing so as well so your batteries won't get used. Of course if you have a power adapter then this is not a worry. The $3 one listed in the forum works for me.

See: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=30379

Last edited by a moderator:
I would get one so you can modify your SD card on systems without an SD slot. This also means that you don't need to run the GP2X while doing so as well so your batteries won't get used. Of course if you have a power adapter then this is not a worry. The $3 one listed in the forum works for me.

See: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=30379

I've actually looked at that card reader before, the problem is its so cheap I think its under the minimum amount I'm permitted to charge to my credit card!

Just so I'm clear, if I where to get a GP2X and a 4 gig SD card today and I had no card reader I would still be able to hook it up to my via USB and transfer files no problem?

I have not used a 4 Gb SD card but there seems to be others that have. There are issues reading the cards in some machines with older SD hardware (at least with the 2 Gb SD and I ASSUME with the newer 4 Gb SD). The reader has a more modern set of reader hardware/firmware it would seem. Some people have reported that the reader is somewhat fragile but so far mine has held up. For $3.00 buy two and set one aside, thats what I did.

You shouldn´t experience any problems anymore when using the GP2X as a cardreader, but it is rather slow, and the supplied cable is often defective (i had no problems though.)

You shouldn´t experience any problems anymore when using the GP2X as a cardreader, but it is rather slow, and the supplied cable is often defective (i had no problems though.)

Yea the cable on the one I got in July was defective. Fortunately I have a spare.

I have not used a 4 Gb SD card but there seems to be others that have. There are issues reading the cards in some machines with older SD hardware (at least with the 2 Gb SD and I ASSUME with the newer 4 Gb SD). The reader has a more modern set of reader hardware/firmware it would seem. Some people have reported that the reader is somewhat fragile but so far mine has held up. For $3.00 buy two and set one aside, thats what I did.

I should have said the machines I was refering to were PC's not GP2X's. Some of the old SD readers in the PC's and some other embedded devices have problems from 2Gb and up but the GP2X seems stable. The problems I was refering to were PC not GP2X. Sorry for the miss leading statement (I left out the "PC" in "some machines with older SD" sentence), my bad.

Thanks.

Just one last check. I know the GP2X had problems talking to OS X, I'm using a new Intel Core 2 Duo iMac. Would there be any mac specific problems?

BIG WARNING: YOU CANNOT FORMAT YOUR SD CARD THROUGH THE GP2X, AND DETECTION PROBLEMS CAN START BY TRYING SD CARDS BIGGER THAN 2 GB!

YOU NEED A CARD READER, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Is it safe to order off of them? When a deal looks to good to be true it generally is.

I've ordered a number of items from ledshoppe.com (including the $3 card reader), and I've always found their service and products to be fabulous.

In my experience, it's safe, and great value-for-money.

BIG WARNING: YOU CANNOT FORMAT YOUR SD CARD THROUGH THE GP2X, AND DETECTION PROBLEMS CAN START BY TRYING SD CARDS BIGGER THAN 2 GB!

YOU NEED A CARD READER, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Really? I don't have one, and I've transferred 3gb of files to my GP2X (4gb SD) with no hassle at all. The card came pre-formatted to FAT32, and I've even used it to update the firmware. Running XP SP2 on the PC side, btw.

I suppose I've been lucky, then?

D.

I bought myself a GP2x back in July but had to send it back for various reasons. Well now i have myself a bight new shiny imacand a new GP2X is top of my list of things to buy next.

But I have one question, when I go ahead and buy myself a new GP2X power pack from GP2X.co.uk (which will hopefully feature the latest firmware) do I still need to buy myself an SD card reader to get the most out of it or have recent fimware updates finally fixed the GP2Xs USB problems?

wait...
why do you need a new one :huh: ?

wait...
why do you need a new one :huh: ?

Because the reason I had to send back my pervious one was not because I was dissatisfied with the product itself. There were certain technical issues on the PC side that prevented me making the most of it. Now that PC is gone and have a mac. And I want my gp2x back :p

Got a card reader, just walked into my local chemist and picked up a hama 6in 1 SD card reader for 5 euro. I've also ordered my GP2X. So the great experiment begins again!

I would not recommend using the gp2x to transfer files to a 4gb card, other cards may be different. I have had problems with the gp2x changing permissions of files and various corruption issues. One of the problems led to windows recognising my 4gb card as only 957mb :( .The only way i found to fix this was to open the card in a HEX editor. This is just a guess but i think it may be that small files are okay for it to transfer but when they are too large the software/hardware can't handle it very well. The amount of hassle and time a card reader will save you make it well worthwhile getting hold of.

Back