Smc Dead?

Racemaniac

Scorched GP programmer
Website
Visit site
one of my smartmedia cards died, so i went to buy a new one...
i finally found 1 last card in a store here, but all others didn't have any... one of the stores even't offered to order one, but after trying with 8 dealers they gave up not finding any....

so when my other cards start dying i'm screwed or so? and are they everywhere so hard to get these days (belgium here)
btw, we've got lots of stores that got memory cards here (small photo stores, computer stores, ....), it's not like i visited 2 shops and decided they were hard to get :s

eBay may be your best chance. The most storage they ever had was 128mb.

Make sure you specify you're looking for either the 3.3v or 5v card, I believe it's the 5v card that's almost impossible to find.

i finally found 1 last card in a store here, but all others didn't have any... one of the stores even't offered to order one, but after trying with 8 dealers they gave up not finding any....

so when my other cards start dying i'm screwed or so? and are they everywhere so hard to get these days (belgium here)
btw, we've got lots of stores that got memory cards here (small photo stores, computer stores, ....), it's not like i visited 2 shops and decided they were hard to get :s

Before you trash the SMC, be sure to try formatting it with PacRom. Mine looked pretty dead three days ago. GP32 did not detect it and even WinXP could not access it, let alone format it. In the end, PacRom formatted it, found 5 bad sectors and wheee, the ride is going on! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Before you trash the SMC, be sure to try formatting it with PacRom. Mine looked pretty dead three days ago. GP32 did not detect it and even WinXP could not access it, let alone format it. In the end, PacRom formatted it, found 5 bad sectors and wheee, the ride is going on! ;)
i know that, is ofcourse first thing i tried :)
it formatted, always giving a different number of bad sectors, standard was 174 i think, sometimes went up to 400+ when i had tried to copy something to it using my card reader...

One of my SMC's broke yesterday. When I was shoving it into the card reader, it cracked a tiny bit at the very top. That tiny crack killed it. Now I only have one.

I agree, it's quite sad that SMCs are no longer produced. I bought a 128MB SMC last week, but I browsed more than 15 computer stores to find one, and it was the last one that they had. Now I've got three 128MB and one 16MB SMCs. I read somewhere on these boards that the average life of a SMC is two years. My only longterm solution would be a SMC > XD adapter, for which I will start a world wide (web) search <_<

One of my SMC's broke yesterday. When I was shoving it into the card reader, it cracked a tiny bit at the very top. That tiny crack killed it. Now I only have one.

Really?

The entire top of mine came off after being cracked for awhile. It still works fine, just hard to get out.

I can beat that. I have a barely used 128MB 3.3v in the UK for 10 pounds shipped. PM me if you're interested.

Back