Small Bit Fell Off My Gp2x Board.

FFNoir

I
Website
Visit site
So anyway, I pick up my GP2X today to discover a small rattling. Curious, I opened it up only to have a small black rectangular bit fall out with "C106" on it. Anyway, I put it back together, booted up and it works fine. Should I be worried about this?

I don't know what is the C106, but I know many people had faced simillar transistors rattle in their Gp2Xs, and all of them ended talking to ED and solved their problem (either by telling them what to do, or by fixing it for them), if you can't wait for ED to reply to this (it is new year's eve in Germany too ;) ) you can check the following things to make sure nothing major was destroied:

1) Overclockability
2) Power through PSU and batteries
3) Speakers, check for noise or if both stereo/mono are working well
4) Videos, if they are stable
5) Vektar demo, it has parts of the code especially wrote for GP2X's hardware
6) Picodrive, use the other core for sound emulation
7) Any other tests you might think off

In case you're interested, the "C106" part will be a tantalum capacitor, 10 microFarads. It'll be a power supply smoothing thing, and although your GP2X will probably run seemingly fine without it, it will probably behave strangely in certain (unknowable in advance) circumstances.

It's definitely not meant to happen, and you should either solder it back in, or send the GP2X back to where you bought it from for replacement or repair.

hmm, I'll get to trying to locate where it fell off later. I still don't know how i'm going to solder it back on. It's so tiny... I don't think I have the skill or precision to solder on something that small.

Check any shop that provides services like fixing mobile phones, this should be a piece of cake for them, but you will have to guess were should it fit first.

Same happened to me. Everything is still working.

Here is a picture:

Edit: Something weird was with the picture. :gp2x

The Blue circles are missing. I'm missing 2 of those. I think

Ehhhh the picture is 2272px × 1704px <_<

Goity: Both things came off for me too!

A cellphone repair man can solder them back on without any problems. That's how I got rid of the problem...

Last edited by a moderator:
If only GPH knew how to solder things in the first place :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back