Slowdown And Lag Problems...very Annoying!

cador

Still Fresh
Does anyone else get this problem? When I'm playing an NES game on GPFCE, in the first 10 seconds or so, the game will pause for 1-2 seconds and then continue playing. It's very, very annoying. On more graphically and audio intensive games, these moments of lag occur quite a few times over the course of a game. Is there a way to adjust the clock speed in GPFCE? I can't seem to find one.

Is there a solution to this problem? On other emulators where the clock speed is adjustable, I don't get this problem if I overclock. I like MAME because most of the games run smoothly between 133-166 MHz and the clock speeds can be saved on a per-game basis. Some games require 180-200 MHz but that's OK, that's an acceptable clock speed for me.

knowing a NES game is less than a MB, i'd be surprised if the card were not fast enough ;)

The type of SD card that I'm using is a Kingston 1.0 GB.

These problems are almost non-existent in MAME, Stella (the Atari 2600 emulator), but they're fairly obvious in GPFCE and VICE (the Commodore emulator). I like the SNES emulator because it auto-adjusts it's frame rate and this prevents lag altogether. I thought that the 'lag' problem was just something that was 'normal' in the GP2X until I read other people saying they didn't have such a problem while only a few other people have it.

Are some people too shy to report these types of problems, or is it just the way I have my GP2x set up? And yes, I am using firmware 2.0.

Thank you for your responses, though, maybe I'll find a solution to this problem.

I get occasional stutters in homebrew games, my suspicion is that the SDL libs are at fault, although I may be wrong.

- Alex

I get this in VICE -- I thought I was just imagining it! Ah well, I use Frodo more often anyway.

I get the exact same thing with GPFCE. I will try fishy's emu to see if I get the same thing. My SD is supposed to be 40X. But playing a game that is not even zipped and is like 500k, I would find it surprising if the emu didn't load all the file in memory before starting. It bugs me a little because I don't want to miss the godly sharpness and speed of yoyo's nes emu on my GP32 :(

Vimacs posted on Aug 8 2006 at 03:03 PM said:
do you use fw 2.0?
I was also wondering if the firmware could be an issue, i remember having a similar problem with some Homebrew games on FW 1.4, but now its gone...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back