Sleep Is Death (Geisterfahrer)

official website: http://sleepisdeath.net/

I was thinking it would be a fun game to have for the Pandora, and the source code will be available(when you purchase the game). The guy that made it is letting people pre-order it on his website for $9 USD, the pre-order will be available for 2 more days then after that point it will cost $14 USD. My problem is, I have no coding ability, so I was wondering if I purchased the game would someone be willing to port it to Pandora? I think, with all the creative minds in the Pandora community, we could have a lot of fun with this.

If it just uses SDL or something, it shouldn't require any reprogramming. It looks like the resolution should be just perfect, as well.

As for the game itself, it looks alright, but I don't know if I'd want to spend money on it.

paulguy said:
If it just uses SDL or something, it shouldn't require any reprogramming. It looks like the resolution should be just perfect, as well.

As for the game itself, it looks alright, but I don't know if I'd want to spend money on it.

From the site:
The game was developed on a 900MHz PC, but it has been tested as marginally-playable on a 233MHz iMac. In other words, it will most likely run on your computer.

The only required library is OpenGL, which ships standard on MacOS and Windows and is readily available on GNU/Linux as well.
I don't know the difference between OpenGL and OpenGL ES, but maybe one of the devs could chime in regarding this. I'd love to play this game, it looks fascinating.

Edit: also from the site, regarding source code...
What you get
Two for the price of one

On your download date, you will receive an email with an access link for two people (the game is two-player only). You and a friend will then be able to download all of the following DRM-free distributions:

* Windows build
* MacOS build (10.2 and later, PPC/Intel)
* Full source code bundle (which can also be compiled on GNU/Linux)

Last edited by a moderator:
OpenGL is slightly different from ES, but if this game is really simple, we can probably patch it up with a converter library.
The only problem I see is that we can't redistribute the source for free, but maybe if one of us fixed it up for Pandora, we could give him the Pandora binary and say "This is for our console, so bundle it in the download or something".

Edit: This doesn't look like it uses OpenGL at all. If it does, it's ridiculously overkill.

We could distribute a diff patch, for people who want to compile it on their own, then have a binary .PND given to the developer for binary distribution.

I have this and two Pandoras pre-ordered. It would be neat as hell if we could play it on our Pandoras.

I went ahead and bought the game. If I can get the IDE set up soon (for developing on the Pandora), maybe I'll give it a shot, otherwise time is running short and I'll just have to move my projects to another platform I suppose.

lulzfish said:
Edit: This doesn't look like it uses OpenGL at all. If it does, it's ridiculously overkill.
You can use OpenGL to accelerate 2D rendering, and since it's designed for PCs which almost certainly have a graphics card of some kind, it's a good design decision to minimise resource usage.

I don't know how SDL works with 2D OpenGL, possibly all we'd need to do to make it work is tell it to use software rendering.

Thx for the nfo.

Had an idea similiar (vaguely) to this years and years ago (but no skills or time to make it happen), but it was more along the lines of a multi-player 'Dungeon Keeper' where one person would control everything realtime (the monsters, the traps (magical and/or otherwise), special encounters, etc) and 3 or more other players (Cleric, Fighter, Thief or Mage, etc.) would play adventurer's trying to get through the dungeon master's dungeon. There'd be 'safe points' where the players could rest without the DM bothering them, but everywhere else he can throw all sorts of stuff at them (real or phantom sounds and images or monsters, traps, hidden walls/doors/pits, etc.) with certain actions (i.e. real or possibly harmful effects, tougher monsters conjured, temporary possession of a PC) needing more magical power on the DM's part to cause. All stats at the end of the game are saved to a DM's or PC's (Player Character's) history/stat file for referencing by other players or DMs in other games/servers (Possible multi-camera points in the game to allow gameplay to be viewed later as a movie?). Oh yeah, it'd be 3D though in FPP view for each player.

Bleh..enough...it was just an idea that I know will never be made now. :/

Aninhumer said:
lulzfish said:
You can use OpenGL to accelerate 2D rendering, and since it's designed for PCs which almost certainly have a graphics card of some kind, it's a good design decision to minimise resource usage.

I don't know how SDL works with 2D OpenGL, possibly all we'd need to do to make it work is tell it to use software rendering.
But if you only draw a few things every 30 seconds, it's ridiculously overkill. SDL could do that easily, OpenGL is only absolutely necessary if you're going to rotate and scale things or display loads of moving objects.
*sigh*

I think the new version of SDL has some OpenGL stuff built-in, so hopefully that's what he's using. If it's an older version, then it means he's written OpenGL code that will have to be modified to OGL ES.

Slightly off-topic

I did receive a pre-order code for this game after pre-ordering it, however, I didn't get the download url. Could anybody who preordered and DID get the URL PM me with it? I did email the guy, but he's probably swamped right now. Remember to remove your own key from the URL :) Thanks in advance!

laurens said:
Slightly off-topic

I did receive a pre-order code for this game after pre-ordering it, however, I didn't get the download url. Could anybody who preordered and DID get the URL PM me with it? I did email the guy, but he's probably swamped right now. Remember to remove your own key from the URL :) Thanks in advance!

You aren't the only one :(
But I get the feeling nobody has gotten links to download yet.

I still don't have download links either. But it's still April 9th (New York Time at least), so I figure there is still time before the downloads are technically late. I was expecting a link almost right after preorders closed, but I didn't get one. Now I'm expecting one before the end of the day, it says the download will be available on the 9th, no specific time sooo~

Apparently he's still working on it at this very moment.
Some people were emailed to help him test it, and he still hopes to get it out today.

Back