SIM card (CALL)

trevormacro

Hello,

Is it possible to call guy with the pandora?

If yes HOW? (transforming the pandora in phone)

-SIM card reader + GSM..etc

IP Phone certainly.

May have to wait for Pyra for SIM card reader.
What is Pyra?

If it's possible to add a USB SIM card reader and we can connect to our pandora and with an application we can call one guy ?

- we speak with micro of pandora

- we listen with out audio ;)

With what app we can call (including sim card)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyra is the name chosen for the successor of the Pandora.. it's still a bit aways from actually going into production.. EvilDragon claim it may ship with phone capabilities.

As far as I know, you can't initiate a GSM call from a 3G USB stick, so you can't use your GSM SIM to make calls from a PC or your Pandora.

You should be able to use various SIP providers or other IP phone systems to make a call, but that wouldn't be using your SIM card (except for data transfer, if you used that rather than wifi) so would come up on the recipient's handset with a different phone number. I'm also not aware of any software that's been ported to the Pandora to do that.

As far as I know, you can't initiate a GSM call from a 3G USB stick, so you can't use your GSM SIM to make calls from a PC or your Pandora.
But yes this is possible, the hardware supports this, not all of them tho. 

And even if you have an supporting device there is still no software for this function. (A friend of mine claimed that there is a windows program. I dont believe that) 

I know the terminal foo for dialing a number but that is all, connecting the sound system with the transfer codec and pipe it through the dialed number is far away from what i can. 

So in a final answer: theoretically yes but in reality clear no. 

If you could use mobile internet and sms with this card, and can turn it of, like the usb host via software, there is need for a smart phone anymore for a lot of people (if android could use whatsapp with this).

That seems pretty doable. I'm assuming the way you control SIM cards as mentioned by Elw3 is the good old Hayes modem command set. There are apparently GSM extensions to that to enable the creation and management of SMS text messages. I haven't looked up exactly how to do it, but I'd be surprised if some of the SMS features weren't send and receive (in fact, I think I've seen people do that via an old phone connected to a test farm over serial, so it'd send a text when the tests were done).

Personally one of the major uses of my phone is route planning, so GPS and maps are a necessity for me. As if by magic: poof! There it is: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11559-navit/ . I shall have to dig out my BT GPS tag thing and see if I can bring its battery back to life.

I heard this 3g card does not use SDIO but creates a wlan hotspot instead. If that Rumor is true you can forget it. 

And yes those are the good old modem commands. 3g is powered by software that has not changed since the 90s. :blink:  

Reading and sending sms is very easy btw, i had the commands somewhere ...... but you better use a gui tool, umtsmon for example.

I heard this 3g card does not use SDIO but creates a wlan hotspot instead. If that Rumor is true you can forget it.
That's what the Engadget report suggests when it says 'It's easier to think of it as a super-petite MiFi dongle', yes, although knowing Engadget it's hard to tell if that's buzzword journalism or a properly valid comparison.

And indeed, if all you have is a wifi access point, you can no longer talk to it like a GSM MODEM, so silent phone calls and texts are out of the question, except via IP telephony or an SMS gateway, if such a thing still exists.

That would be really nice, if that came out before the Pyra and wasn't too expensive then I would vote for 3 SD slots and no internal 3G.
Where would they fit the 3rd SD slot without making the unit any bigger? Looking at my Pandy, I don't see a lot of space on the outside for the port,and I suspect the inside is even more cramped.

That would be really nice, if that came out before the Pyra and wasn't too expensive then I would vote for 3 SD slots and no internal 3G.
 Where would they fit the 3rd SD slot without making the unit any bigger? Looking at my Pandy, I don't see a lot of space on the outside for the port,and I suspect the inside is even more cramped.
The sides maybe? I think it would be possible. I think it might even be possible to fit 2 SD card slots on one side.

SD slots take up an enormous amount of board space though - on the current Pandora the two SD slots take up about a quarter of the board space.
I know - but there is still the other side and if you arranged parts better... I know it's never easy, but I think it's possible.

The other side is used by the keyboard.

The PCB is cramped. You have to fit all the parts *somewhere*, you can't just magically make them go away.

Ah, yeah, true. But if we just look at the side with sd slots then, in theory at least, there should easily be room for a third one. But I don't know much about PCB routing, I guess that would make all that way more difficult.

Back