[ Significant Improvement ] ScreenCaster EX - Making Screencasts

commander-beef

Very Active Member
Info & feats: Simple ScreenCast/ScreenRecorder

A screencast is a digital recording of computer screen output, also known as a video screen capture. The term screencast compares with the related term screenshot; whereas screenshot generates a single picture of a computer screen, a screencast is essentially a movie of the changes over time that a user sees on a computer screen.

Feats:

- Small size [6mb]

- Super-Easy to use.

- Small button on center-right to stop the recording [while in record mode]

Bugs:

- XFCE minimization+modal handling sucks, so screencaster will be visible after clicking record [and should be minimized]. This will work in LXDE but not in XFCE. 

BTW. Another pros to drop XFCE in the future [in Pyra]. XFCE WM doesnt handle very well modal windows while minimization. Minimization isnt properly handled anyway in programs, which is completely oposite to LXDE.  

Version: Beta.

Screen:

01.png

Download: 

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=screencaster-ex-app

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice but not relly a new use as there already is a screenrecorder.

Nice but not relly a new use as there already is a screenrecorder.
Correct, I don't think it qualifies... unless you can point out something it does that this one does not ?

http://pandoralive.info/?p=1726
hold on, i'll add a player to it as well [to view recorded content] + simple file browser.. 

Should this be enough?

BTW. Im planning to add few other things if i'll have time like hotkeys 

BTW. v2 I wonder why theres no 'New Application (Original)' entry for AAKCC 2014. ScreenCaster EX would fit that category better [among Die! - Zombie App Killer  or uPIM for example..]

since these apps are not "Significant Improvement of Existing Application"

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW. v2 I wonder why theres no 'New Application (Original)' entry for AAKCC 2014. ScreenCaster EX would fit that category better [among Die! - Zombie App Killer or uPIM for example..] since these apps are not "Significant Improvement of Existing Application"
No New Application (Original) category was a deliberate choice, to avoid people making applications as clones of existing stuff. Therefore the focus was divided in two categories : either making/porting applications that do something new, OR improving on existing applications.

This was very clear from the beginning of the competition.

hold on, i'll add a player to it as well [to view recorded content] + simple file browser.. Should this be enough?
I'd say this would rather fit into "Significant Improvement" if you really want to fit it somewhere. As in, it's easier to use than Simple Screen recorder if you can have the recorder and player in the same application.

so the category "Significant Improvement of Existing Application" should be renamed to "Significant Improvement over Existing Application" and information about this category should be better explained. 

uPIM for example..]
Could fit in New Pandora Use,

* "New Pandora Use" Application
This can be any application you think might be useful for the Pandora community. It has to achieve something NEW that is not currently feasible or easily achievable on the Pandora, or bring an update to an existing application with truly significant new features (you may decide to apply in "Significant Improvement" category then). It can be a port, or an original creation, as long as it meets the stated objective.

What uPIM does is not "easily achievable" by other means on Pandora currently, so it could well fit as New Pandora Use evne if the concept of PIM itself is not 100% new.

so the category "Significant Improvement of Existing Application" should be renamed to "Significant Improvement over Existing Application" and information about this category should be better explained. 
Well it was not created for that purpose. The idea was to encourage people to update and increase features or address usability of apps they had already worked on before. So, it's a different interpretation, but I think (I'll check with ED) that it's acceptable because it follows the spirit of Improvement.

Back