Should the Pandora 2 be called 'Pandora 2'?

Why not call it Pandora 4?

It's one better than 3.

Now I know why that place is called "Pandora 2 spam" :D

dogbert.gif

Eh, screw that. It should be PANDORA 2, as in, "Playing And Networking Done On Restrictionless Accessories 2". It combines "PANDORA" and the "2", best of both worlds?

Current product trend is to start with what would be a completely sane letter/number system that would allow progression as models evolve - then abandon it for random arrays of characters.

Example. Right now Lenovo sells a 7" tablet called the A1 and a 10" tablet called the K1. Their successors are the S2 7 and the S2 10 respectively. No logic that I can find in that progression.

Even Apple - famous for it's 1,2,3,4,4s,5 progression - has broken out of that to use

"The new iPad" (first one)

"The iPad 2 (second one)

"The new iPad" (third one)

In light of that, and that the Pandora dares to be different by holding to logic, we should definitely call it the Pandora 2. It's that or Phred. Maybe Phred can be it's code-name?

Sad that this looks like spam, it's an upcoming problem in the future. We do address the new Pandoras by features like 512MB or by production place germany or GC (global component = manufacturer). If the next Pandora will be done by GC in germany too, we loose the 'GC' distinctive mark. If the manufacturer is to be replaced again or a second manufacturer in germany comes into line we loose the 'germany' distinctive mark.

I mentioned it to ED some time ago and asked for the offical version name of the 512MB Pandoras. He told me that there is none actually but that the internal revision is 6d (for the board revision). Sadly this board will be used with the next 'different' version of the pandora too. So it stays the same although the hardware on the board will change. To difference this fact in the production this next pandora version is handled as version 1.5 internally.

Before you ask, the v1.5 is a minor upgrade ED mentioned already on the boards. One of the parts for the pandora is out of stock and have to be replaced by another (again, just like the 512MB RAM was). The effect will be insignificant.

(Well, i think it is significant, because without this upgrade no further pandoras could be produced due to lack of parts. :D )

To keep it simple it would be a good idea to keep the internal (development) and offical public (in mass production) version names in sync.

The actual pandora have to fit between the first pandora and the upcoming 'Pandora v1.5'.

If we place them in the middle it could be v1.25. To keep it simple it should be v1.2.

Easy to remember, 2 is for double RAM.

Why do we need to bother about version names? Take a look to the OpenMoko Project (german version has version table, click at left for other language), it's a project with different open design and production responsibilities. The cases and the boards are combined to build a phone. Meanwhile there are three versions, gta01, gta02 and gta04. The names are short, easy to remember and linked to a specific hardware version.

We do need this clear identification for the pandora too, because including the Pandora 2 in our dreams there are four Pandora versions now. We are writing history, i'm sure that more versions will follow.

ninja'd by grench. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
No. You are joking about a serious topic.

You call a chair chair and not table, because everybody would know then immediately and clear what you are talking about.

Future versions could have incompatibilities and could need other support solutions. For the developers, the supporters, the community and for the casual user it must be easy to identify which pandora version the talk is about.

It's a mess with PC support to get users post there hardware configuration. My grandma would tell you her PC is a "insert brand name here" but that's it. Only advanced users could state motherboard, CPU, GPU and other detailed information.

How many users of the new pandoras will not use the full 512MB because they don't now how to boot the experimental kernel? This number will increase with more pandoras out there. I don't want to bother them by finding out which pandora they have. Chair or table, it must be clear for anyone.

posting #222

Pandora

Pandora ][

Pandora ]|[

But add suitable letters for revision numbering (letter corresponding to most significant change/feature):

So far we have:

Pandora D - Dev boards

Pandora - Original production model

Pandora R - rebirth with added Ram

You could also have

Pandora C - with added Clock speed

Pandora S - with improved screen

then:

Pandora ][ D - new design dev boards

Pandora ][ - new design original production

Pandora ][ N - with socket able nubs

Guys, guys, guys...

I know this is a non-serious topic, but there really is only one answer to this that sticks with the theme of the machine's name: Pandora II

That was Pandora's daughter's name in Greek mythology.

On second thoughts Writing II as ][ would probably bring bring apple down on OP like a sack of depleted uranium.

Panoodoola zeta, à la japanese.

Panoodoola zeta, à la japanese.
Surely that should be パンドラ ゼタ?

Literally, this is "Pa", "n", "do", "ra", "Ze", "ta". :p Such a name works perfectly well with katakana - adding bizarre extra syllables doesn't make it even remotely close to how it would be written in Japanese. ;)

What you wrote would be more like パヌーヅーラ ゼタ or パンオードーラ ゼタ, depending on the intended pronunciation.

Back