Should the opendyslexic font be included by default?

First of all I am not dyslexic but I was talking to a Pandora owner the other day who was.. and he did have issues reading menus and things on the Pandora sometimes.. so I asked if he had ever heard of the 'opendyslexic' font (an open source font designed for people with dyslexia). He hadn't so told him how to set it up on his Pandora and he thinks it helped him a lot.  So I am wondering should the opendyslexic font be included by default?  (http://dyslexicfonts.com/)

Here are screenshots of it running on my Pandora as an example:

130211_224610.png

130211_224529.png

130211_224419.png
130211_224252.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I never knew such a thing existed.

I'm rather dyslexic often repeating or leaving out words in my posts (if anyone has ever noticed I do that, that's why)

I wouldn't mind a guide on how to install that on a Linux machine. I know how to do it in windows and that's what I'm doing shortly after posting.

Thanks for that info!

here is a better example (a big block of text) on the Pandora:

130211_230857.png

Well for this example all I had to do was.. put the font files in a directory called ".fonts"  in my home directory.. then programs can use the font if they are able to. Also you can  make your web browser force sites to use this font you so wish.

I think it's only latin characters at the moment however.

Edit: If I wanted to do a system wide install then I go to the /usr/share/fonts/  folder and put the fonts in the appropriate folder in there.

Like Android I had no idea such a thing existed. Out of interest, do you know if there is a mono-spaced version which could be used in something like the terminal? I couldn't find one linked from that page, though admittedly I didn't explore it very far.

- Neelix

Like Android I had no idea such a thing existed. Out of interest, do you know if there is a mono-spaced version which could be used in something like the terminal? I couldn't find one linked from that page, though admittedly I didn't explore it very far.

- Neelix
Yeeeeeeeees, this^^^ 

I've been working on it, but the past 2-3 months have been really tight. Things are starting to come together again, so I'll have more time for it.

I want it too: my day job is programming. 

Wife is putting the kid to bed and I was browsing referrers while she did. :D

Also: Never heard of Pandora before this.

So Wife gets downstairs after putting baby to sleep, and I show this (well, not this thread, but the Pandora) to her and she freaks out because she thinks its as awesome as I did. And I saw elsewhere in the forum that it was possible to switch the k/b layout to Dvorak, which made her excited in a, 'are you gonna buy this for me' kind of way. :p

This is now on the todo list. :p

Heh, that's all kinds of awesome. Welcome aboard dude :D

Just be aware, when it's said the layout can be changed it means the keyboard values themselves, you can't get a custom printed keymat. Of course, if you're using dvorak, you're probably already used to the keys not being what they say they are. ;)

I have no particular issues with it being included. I don't see how this is any different than including other accessibility software. As long as the developer is fine with that, I can't imagine it taking up too much disk space.

Another example, this time using the font in Firefox and forcing websites to use the font rather than their own choices:

130212_091132.png

This is interesting, I never even knew of this either.

...Nor that weighted bottom to text aids in reading, etc.

Sounds a good idea to include it to me, for those who it will help.

I also really like that 'highlight bar' that follows your cursor on the official website, that makes reading large blocks of text much easier ... should be available as a mouse configuration option or browser option I think.

I'd like to be able to switch that on when reading big articles.

New Scientist website for example, one site I read large paragraphs of text on and sometimes my eye does lose the current line I'm reading.

if it helps people It should be included... it doesn't look bad too...

I am dyslectic and I would love to see this on the OpenPandora OS. I think I will install it manually first. But I do think it should be there by default. 

It would be a fine thing to add.  When is the next update of the OS planned for?

Well in the mean time.. I spent a little time this evening and I have created a PND that will "install" the fonts for people. (Just place them in the /usr/share/fonts/truetype folder)  

A user will have to select the font in programs/desktop they want to use it in.

just need to create edit a few things in the PXML file and then I can upload it

edit:  uploaded... here: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=opendyslexic.ld

Hey,

I've run the PND which apparently installed the font. but I can't find where to use it.

As the system apperance settings don't show it under font.

Back