Release Server Upgrade In Process

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

I just thought I'd let you know that I'm currently upgrading the server from OpenSuSE 10.3 to 11.0 (and then to the latest version).

As upgrading from OpenSuSE 10.3 is quite a lot of manual work (SuSE didn't offer distribution updates until 11.0), the server might have some downtimes.

Do not worry, everything will be back to normal soon :)

We're currently somewhere between 11.0 and 11.1.

OpenSuSE is weird. It downloads and installs the updates immediately. So if it can't download a package it stops there and you'd have a non-booting system as it has tons of missing libraries and missing dependencies.
If there's a problem, get the package manually and install it and continue the update afterwards until it gets through.

Pretty weird. :)
I like the Debian approach better... first download everything so we're on the safe side and THEN install :)

EvilDragon said:
I like the Debian approach better... first download everything so we're on the safe side and THEN install :)
+1 :) Good luck with the upgrade ED, and thanks for your hard work !
Bye, Magic Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:

OpenSuSE is weird. It downloads and installs the updates immediately. So if it can't download a package it stops there and you'd have a non-booting system as it has tons of missing libraries and missing dependencies.
If there's a problem, get the package manually and install it and continue the update afterwards until it gets through.

Pretty much every distro other than openSUSE downloads all packages first and then installs them. I've got a rock solid Fedora 12 install on my server, and you can pretty much put "yum update" in an unattended Cron file and it will just work (and if it doesn't, it cancels the transaction and puts a message for me in the syslogs so I can fix it later), and in order to upgrade to a new major release, you just have to download one single package and launch one single command line/GUI tool, and the rest of the process is automatic.

Plus, since Fedora is targeted towards cluster servers and so on, they provide a packaged version of Drupal (The CMS I use for http://pandorawalls.dyndns.org where we gather all of the Pandora wallpapers we ever created) which is optimized for Fedora and gets updated automatically.

Conclusion: I basically have a server that never fails and doesn't need any attention :D

Yeah, I don't like OpenSuSE either, but back when we got the server, it was only available with OpenSuSE and Plesk preinstalled.
Since we needed Plesk for some of our customers and we needed to set up the server as fast as possible (remember: We got this one just a few hours after the preordering started because the old server was hammered down...)

So I'm a bit stuck with SuSE here. Usually, I use Debian for servers and Arch for Desktop PCs :)

Anyways, update is done, hope everything does work.

If you find anything weird going on, post at this thread here :)

EvilDragon said:

This is the typical crap which I hate.

Who decides to do these things? Who? Where can I find him so I can punch him right in the nose?

craigix said:
Who decides to do these things? Who? Where can I find him so I can punch him right in the nose?
Some vaporware twat, I'm sure. Punch them twice, just to be sure.

well? you do realise this is the Microsoft approved Linux, what do you expect?, it's obviously not going to work properly, Microsoft can explain how Linux isn't cost effective or stable enough for serious use, they have had a whole website devoted to informing users of this, then they got the tables turned on them, try searching for "Linux cost effective" now ;)

never poke a Hydra with a stick, they bite!

craig, have you ever had to manually resolve dependancy hell when all you have is ipkg

if you had you'd want to do a lot more than punch them in the nose

craigix said:

I see you and I have exactly the same attitude towards bad software design.

Can't wait to see how the Pandora turns out.

craigix said:

And it's the same with those php guys!
Upgrade to 5.3 and BAM! My shop didn't work anymore, my gp2x.de frontpage doesn't work properly anymore... geeeez.
Just took me 7 hours to (hopefully!) fix all the bugs in my shop.

At least people can now order stuff again.

Last edited:
WizardStan said:
craigix said:
Some vaporware twat, I'm sure. Punch them twice, just to be sure.
That's right, I'm sure it's "vaporware twats" who are behind the openSuSE design decisions :rolleyes:.

EvilDragon said:
craigix said:

And it's the same with those php guys!
Upgrade to 5.3 and BAM! My shop didn't work anymore, my gp2x.de frontpage doesn't work properly anymore... geeeez.
Just took me 7 hours to (hopefully!) fix all the bugs in my shop.

At least people can now order stuff again.
That's what you get from using PHP! :p
I use servlets and never have any problems.

(Yes, I will favor simplicity over tradition any day)

For a bit I was worried something was wrong with my pc, because the server was down while I was at home, but not while I was at school, on their computers. My network gets seriously messed up sometimes, because I have one router running through a Modem 300kb connection connected to another router that used DSL before, but got demoted.

good to know! Now I don't have to put that fan back!

hehe, funny that ED made the same distribution-decisions I made a while back. Well, Arch is only for my own desktops. If I have to remotely support them, I mostly pick ubuntu (though I'm searching for an alternative for a while). Not that arch was ever unstable for me, but solving new tasks can take quite a while longer with it then with the mainstream-distros.

Anyway, OpenSuse isn't ALL crap and I actually found the idea to download and install at the same time quite pleasing at first, until unfinished-update-problems occured that needed lots of manual fixing from a live-CD-chroot. There are dozens of concepts and projects by novel I tend to disagree, but I still think they put a lot of effort in OSS. We are probably better of with them, but could still survive without. Same applies to Canonical, but probably not to redhat.

Back