Seeking info about old Win16 shareware game, "Bow & Arrow"

Prometheus

I'm not sure if anyone remembers this old game. It's a shareware title for Win16, entitled "Bow & Arrow - In Search of the GREATEST Archer". It was by a fellow called John Di Troia, and was released in 1992.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/iDcC7oeXym8?feature=oembed

I first played it on a compilation disc that was bundled with the first x86 box that my family got, which contained tons of known-Windows 95-compatible Win16 shareware and freeware.

The problem I'm having is, I've never been able to find out how to order it in the internet age - it seems that the author is unreachable this way (in fact, the only search results I've been able to bring up are all simply references to the shareware version of Bow & Arrow's readme file), and in the past I seem to recall seeing others who've previously played it raising doubts that the full version ever existed at all. Regardless, if it's possible, I'd love to be able to find the purchasing info for this game! Does anyone know ANYTHING about it, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how legit this site is, but they claim to only have the shareware version.

http://www.classicdo...est_Archer.html

It at least has the author's name and address on this page. Not sure how up to date it is...

Address

]From Bow and Arrow - In Search of the Greatest Archer v1.0 (1992)

John Di Troia

5 Mt Pleasant Street

Saugus, MA 01906

From Bow and Arrow - In Search of the Greatest Archer v1.1 (1996)

John Di Troia

P.O. Box 437

Tyngsboro, MA 01879

USA

Last edited by a moderator:
@Wally - Did you come up with anything?

@TrashyMG - That site is legit (and a very nice resource). They only host shareware demos and legitimately freeware stuff. Unfortunately, the info given is just the same as in the ancient Readme from 1992, and seems to feature no means of paying online. :(

Have you tried writing the author? I once tracked down an old program that way.

Snail Mail a note to him with your email address and maybe he will reply.

^ I must admit that I haven't, reason being that there's no way of knowing that the author is still located there. Do you think it's worth a shot?

I spent a bit of time Google searching his name.. amazingly there are many people with that name..

^ I must admit that I haven't, reason being that there's no way of knowing that the author is still located there. Do you think it's worth a shot?

I think so. I have been at the same address since 1986 and people tend to keep P.O. Boxes a long time.

There is also a chance of it getting forwarded by the post office. You never know.

Back