GP2X Sdl Conversions

icurafu

The Hallucinogenic Elf
Website
gamesreborn.blogspot.com
Hello,

I'm a developer and I'd like to start porting SDL games and applications to the GP2X.

Originally I'm a Java game developer but I have a lot of experiance in C++ and media liberies.. I've got a few games that I will port from my java development. (As most of my modules are very open.)

I was just wanting to know if anyway has any tips on how to convert already created SDL programs to the GP2X format.

Can I just force the res to 320x280, do some LOD, and change the controls and hope it all runs well thought the SDL interface?

What kind of steps should I take in order to do this?

I'm interseted to do AvP. And quite a few others. I belive that for AvP, I'll have to shrink overlays because the game may not run well on a low res.

Thanks anyone for any help,

Icura

It's 320x240, and it's 2D. There is no 3D hardware in the GP2X, though someone may release a software 3D renderer at some point.

So, if you want to port any applications and use SDL, make sure you only use the 2D functions. SDL's 3D support is via OpenGL and that is definitely not supported on the GP2X.

slygamer posted on Oct 4 2005 at 02:20 PM said:
It's 320x240, and it's 2D.  There is no 3D hardware in the GP2X, though someone may release a software 3D renderer at some point.

So, if you want to port any applications and use SDL, make sure you only use the 2D functions.  SDL's 3D support is via OpenGL and that is definitely not supported on the GP2X.

yeah, thanks 320x240. Just a typo.

OK, are you sure that the GP2X wont software render 3D from the SDL? I'll focus on 2D games then.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back